Search Unity

(Google Cardboard, iOS) Activating Anti-Aliasing freezes left eye camera

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by LuigiRift, Nov 5, 2015.

1. LuigiRift

LuigiRift

I've been searching everywhere for an answer, and the ones I stumble upon don't help.

I need to enable Anti-aliasing in my project, but doing it in the project settings, when I run the app on my phone, it only freezes the left eye.

This hasn't been working in previous versions of Cardboard SDK or Unity. I'm using cardboard SDK v0.5.2 which says in the release notes
    • The offscreen RenderTexture used for distortion correction takes properties from project settings (e.g. antialiasing, pixel format). Depth now defaults to 24 bits.

and I thought this would fix it, but it doesn't. I've tried no distortion, I've tried editing the render texture directly with rt.antiAliasing = 2, but nothing works.

Anybody have any luck with this?

2. chrisscott

chrisscott

We have this same issue with our builds and AA, so far the only way we have been able to build in Cardboard is to have AA off. Not super ideal.

3. yoveo

yoveo

switch the ambient light to baked, works for me...

4. dolims

dolims

Does turning off the Direct Render flag in the Stereo Controller make any difference for you?

5. joelkoz

joelkoz

I just ran into this also. Direct Render flag made no difference. It appears to be an issue that is still present w/ the latest Unity and Cardboard SDK as of right now.

6. tachen

tachen

Anyone told this to Cardboard?

7. dolims

dolims

Cardboard is aware and will be testing.

8. tachen

tachen

Please tell me the resoult, thanks a lot!

9. dolims

dolims

The new v0.6 release fixes a bug that was causing some of these "one eye freezes" issues, including this one. Setting AA in Project Settings > Quality should work now.

8ace likes this.
  10. tachen

tachen

Very Cool! Thanks!

11. LuigiRift

LuigiRift

Great!!! I'm testing it out now.

Thanks!

12. dolims

dolims

On iOS, I notice that the left eye sometimes just stays black. This is happening in the latest version of the SDK (v0.6), and seems to be related to using the Metal API. Changing to OpenGL ES (2 or 3) works around it. Try it if you run into this issue. (This is independent of Anti-Aliasing.)

MechEthan and 8ace like this.
  13. LuigiRift

LuigiRift

YES! This is it! After I updated to 0.6, it was still freezing. I went back and removed Metal from the Build settings, and it worked beautifully with anti-aliasing. Thanks!

8ace likes this.