Search Unity

Google CardBoard Demo, VR Walking Query

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by schetty, May 28, 2015.

1. schetty

schetty

Hi,

I am working on the Google cardboard now, started newly i have exported the scene its working fine.
    But i want to move the camera by the user control i want to know is it possible in google card board?
    I have tried this walk control using the "transform.Translate" function in this using the "Input.Acceleration " control. But its not working properly and i odnt ge the proper controll.

Is it possible to do this in Google Cardboard"

If yes,Is there any other way to do this?

Thanks.

2. Tronno

Tronno

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you trying to use the phone's acceleration to determine if the user is walking? You will have a hard time doing that. The phone will constantly accelerate in all directions depending on where the user is looking.

You will have an easier time using the Cardboard magnetic button as a toggle. Try something like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void Update() {
    2.     if(Cardboard.CardboardTriggered) MoveForward();
    3. }

3. schetty

schetty

i want to move my camera when user doing acceleration like moving forward, back or side direction. According to that i want to translate my camera into the scene.

4. schetty

schetty

i tried this line but i am getting the following error message:
    "Assets/Scripts/CardBoardMovingCam.cs(30,31): error CS0120: An object reference is required to access non-static member `Cardboard.CardboardTriggered"

5. Tronno

Tronno

My mistake. Use Cardboard.SDK.CardboardTriggered instead.

6. huj1992

huj1992

Hi guys, i have just found your conversation and hoping now that you could help me.
    Currently I am working on a VR-Project with the Cardboard SDK and unity5 at my university. I am a bloody beginner and my goal is to build a VR-Application for Android that allows the User to walk in the direction he is looking when pulling the trigger.

Until know it doesn't work at all and i don't know what to do. I have imported the CardboardSDK, than attached the autowalk.cs skript (http://bit.ly/1IRkLSW). What did I forgett? FPS-Controller? CharacterControll?

It would be great if you guys could help me out. What should I do step by step?

Thank you very very much. cheers Jonas

wombat_wombat likes this.
  7. wombat_wombat

wombat_wombat

I also want to chime in here because I've been having a difficult time finding a solution to walking around with Google Cardboard.

I feel like I've tried implementing ever tutorial I could get my hands on with no success. Not sure if the CharacterMotor.cs + Autowalk script solution daniel borowski's site works for others. Followed the directions to a T and nada. http://danielborowski.com/posts/create-a-virtual-reality-game-for-google-cardboard/

This is what I'm trying to do-- when the user pulls the trigger they take a step in the direction that they're facing.

Basically here is where I am so far:
    1. Google Demo open, I import the FPSController prefab under "Characters" and delete the child and replaced it with Cardboard Main

2. At this point, if you hit play you can walk around based, oriented by where gaze pointer is pointing. Great.

3. Move the FPS script to the VR Script folder to that I can call Cardboard (is there a better way to do this?)

4. In the FPSController script, I attempt to only update the location if the trigger goes off.
    in fixed update function:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (Cardboard.SDK.Triggered){
    2.    m_MoveDir += Physics.gravity*m_GravityMultiplier*Time.fixedDeltaTime;
    3. }
    I'm a Unity beginner, but sort of surprised there isn't some kind of prefab for this. Would love to find a solution.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    Hashton likes this.
  8. wombat_wombat

wombat_wombat

Hashton likes this.
  9. Hashton

Hashton

Works brilliant thanks Wombat

wombat_wombat likes this.
  10. varunb95

varunb95

I'm new to Unity, and Github....could you tell me what exactly i need to add to my project to enable walking?

11. AlexKrunch

AlexKrunch

I've made a very similar script to work with the gamepad. To use it, create an empty object with a rigidBody and put the Cardboard object into.

Code (CSharp):
    2.                //Get the googlecarboard instance + the rigidbody of the gameobject (Put these 2 lines in the Awake())
    3.                 mHead = (CardboardHead) FindObjectOfType(typeof(CardboardHead));
    4.                 rb3D = GetComponentInParent<Rigidbody> ();
    7.                 //Calculate the diff between the cardboard direction and the forward of the parent object
    8.                 Vector3 forward = transform.forward;
    9.                 Vector3 vectorHead = new Vector3 (mHead.Gaze.direction.x, 0.0f, mHead.Gaze.direction.z);
    10.                 float angle = Vector3.Angle (forward, vectorHead);
    12.                 //Is the angle negative?
    13.                 Vector3 cross = Vector3.Cross (forward, vectorHead);
    14.                 if (cross.y < 0)
    15.                     angle = -angle;
    17.                 //Get the gamepad inputs
    18.                 float moveHorizontal = -Input.GetAxis ("Horizontal");
    19.                 float moveVertical = -Input.GetAxis ("Vertical");
    21.                //Rotate the vector of input with the diff between this GameObject + The forward of the Carboard Object
    22.                 Vector3 movement = new Vector3 (moveHorizontal, 0.0f, moveVertical);
    23.                 movement = Quaternion.Euler (0, angle, 0) * movement;
    25.                //Move the object
    26.                 rb3D.AddForce (movement * speed * 3f);
    27.                 rb3D.velocity = Vector3.zero;
    28.                 rb3D.angularVelocity = Vector3.zero;
    To make what you want just replace the line getting the gamepad inputs (l. 17-20) by this
    Code (CSharp):
    2. float moveHorizontal = 0;
    3. float moveVertical = 0;
    4. if (Cardboard.SDK.Triggered){
    5. moveVertical = -1;
    6. }

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  12. kamil0417

kamil0417

Hi!
    I'm looking for the same solution for walking (using phone sensors to walk around) but I'm struggle to manage this. If you manage to do this please let me know.

13. Soquet

Soquet

I tried to get that script to work with the latest cardboard.sdk but it failed for me.

14. Hashton

Hashton

I also cant get it to work with latest cardboard its a bit of a pain.

15. murat-tanrikulu

murat-tanrikulu

can you someone help me walk with gaze input module? i want to walk that point whatt i create plane trigger.

16. kamleshanimator

kamleshanimator

can you someone send me cardbord script?

17. MichaelSolerBeatty

MichaelSolerBeatty

This could be and interesting asset for you

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/61864

18. Selzier

Selzier

We have lots of movement tutorials on YouTube and also a movement pack here:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/69041