Search Unity

Google Cardboard Android Double Vision

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by troyfury, Sep 9, 2015.

1. troyfury

troyfury

I am using the Google Cardboard SDK for Unity and in my scene using the Cardboard Main prefab. Once I build to Android I notice that it seems like the two halves of the screen are misaligned and I can see two of every object. It is most noticeable when looking at textures with text on them. Anybody else experience this and have any suggestions? The device runs other apps using cardboard SDK perfectly well.

2. Theformand

Theformand

I just started messing with it myself. Here are a few things I did to sort of overcome the doublevision / out of focus ness.

• Make sure the Cardboard Viewer profile is correct for your cardboard viewer (the physical cardboard thing). On the Cardboard website you can set this up, and download a profile. If other apps look fine, then its probably already set correctly.
    • I found that setting a "Center of Interest" on the StereoController.cs script helps. Just an empty GameObject a few units in front of the cameras. This combined with setting a "Radius of Interest" helped a lot.
    • Also tweak the "Screen Parallax" setting to your liking.

It's still not perfect for me, but its a lot better than the vanilla settings. Everything was double.

3. vizmatt

vizmatt

I build for iOS - works just fine, build for android (same cardboard unit) - get double vision. Pretty annoying. No tweaking needed for iOS.

This has nothing to do with VS (I'm developing on a Mac), but the problem is the same.

4. troyfury

troyfury

I had the same issues, the default viewer profile is suitable for iOS but not Android. I actually gave up on the Cardboard SDK and used the Dive VR SDK instead. This was a while back so I don't know if the newer version on cardboard SDK fixes the issue or not.

5. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

it seems now the iOS version has issues of double vision (2 left 2 right).
    Didn't tried with Android but imo is something with the new VR things in the new unity to conflict.
    Is not really a conflict, because if I build the DemoScene for iOS works great,
    as soon as I try to use in my scene (I also removed my main camera), I got double vision, and I get it rest only if I play the demo scene.

6. unityandthenoob

unityandthenoob

I had the same problem recently and it turned out that it wasn't related to the software itself, but my setup. Device was loose in cardboard.

This led to the misalignment with the focal point of the lenses and the screen thus the double vision. Once I tightened the device in the cardboard which effectively pushed the screen closer to the lenses, double vision was gone.

Here is the specification for the google cardboards.
    https://support.google.com/cardboard/manufacturers/answer/6323398?hl=en

Focal length information
    https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-lens-dimensions-for-Google-Cardboard

It's probably best to rule this out before looking into software for bugs.
    Verify that the device is at proper distance (at focal length) for your cardboard.