Search Unity

Question google carboard vr

Discussion in 'VR' started by DaudHTMs, Dec 12, 2020.

1. DaudHTMs

DaudHTMs

2. tree_arb

tree_arb

I think that's slightly old info.

Cardboard sdk is handled outside of unity. They will probably lock this thread unfortunately. If so, PM me if u run it to trouble I just went through the setup a few days ago (only on android) or go to github

Here is the quickstart guide
    https://developers.google.com/cardboard/develop/unity/quickstart

It says only OpenGLES2 is supported but that is old info.
    OpenGLES3 is now supported

https://github.com/googlevr/cardboard

https://github.com/googlevr/cardboard-xr-plugin

I was able to get everything working but it's a little laggy feeling or motion blur, something not great about it compared to cardboard apps on the store, or compared to YouTube. Still trying to figure that out but until then I'm not feeling like its usable for me

I'm interested to know if the "hello cardboard" test scene using xr plugin with unity performs different than the native compiled apk. I have not tried that yet

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  3. DaudHTMs

DaudHTMs

thanks for the time i was trying to follow the developers.google carboard thing and i am having trouble installing git and setting it up. Is git optional and if its not how do i set it up. I searched up tutorials and they are all so confusing

4. tree_arb

tree_arb

You don't have to install git, but you might want to try. I was also not using Git and got it to install after a bit of frustration
    I will give options for both:

Instructions for windows 10 install git:

Install git w default options from the website

windows 10 start search area...start typing "environment"
    select : "edit system environmental variables"

click:
    ...Environment Variables
    ...System Variables
    ...Path
    Edit

add these new: (assuming this is where these are installed)
    C:\Program Files\Git\bin\git.exe
    C:\Program Files\Git\cmd

restart unity, maybe computer too i'm not sure.
    command prompt, type git, enter. it should recognize it is there.

try unity importing the cardboard SDK again
    https://developers.google.com/cardboard/develop/unity/quickstart

if NOT using git:

go here
    https://github.com/googlevr/cardboard

The green "code" button zip does not have the full files ( or didn't before)
    on the right side of this page, click releases, v1.4.1 latest...
    it brings you here, for now:

https://github.com/googlevr/cardboard/releases/tag/v1.4.1
    download source code.zip

unzip it somewhere.

Create new 3d project
    Package manager: click the +
    "add package from disk"

find package.json from the newly unzipped folder)
    cardboard-xr-plugin-1.4.1 > package.json

package manager should show the package, then samples inside it, hellocardboard
    import that. Follow the rest of the instructions on the quickstart guide

note:
    use OpenGLES3 when you get to the instructions that current say OpenGLES2
    (take out vulkan i believe)

if the android manifest is not in your project files when it wants you to edit that part:

check off:
    edit: project settings> player>publish settings >
    custom main manifest

it will show up now in your project and you can edit it as the quickstart guide wants

make sure to uncheck optimize frame pacing when the instructions say so.

This should work.
    I just now did a test on my PC importing the SDK this way instead of git and it works, the git way works too

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  5. arfish

arfish

I think the new CardboardVR plugin works really nice. The new Unity XR system also feels like an improvement.
    Would say the new Cardboard test scene is comparable with the old one. It´s the one to one tracking that make it feel a bit laggy, and I guess it´s a side effect from the limited field of view. To make it more fit for gaming you has to crank it up a bit yourself by letting the camera rotate more to make a full turn in less than 360 degrees.

Still missing a proper method for recenter the tracking though.

6. tree_arb

tree_arb

Can you explain further? I'm not sure what you mean by one to one tracking or how I might crank it up myself

7. arfish

arfish

Turn your head 360 degrees, and the camera will also make a full turn. So if you are looking stright forward and wants to see something at 90 degree angle in some direction, the limited fov forces you to turn the head a lot more compared to real life. That makes if feels soggy, or laggy. One way to compensate for it is to let the camera turn more than your head so you dont have to turn your head so unaturally much when playing the game, and make it feel more snappy.

It´t easy to test by holding your hand at the side of your head, and note how much (little) you have to turn the head to see it. Compare that to the much more movement needed in the game.

8. tree_arb

tree_arb

Would you mind pointing me in the direction of how to change that?
    I adjusted the Field of View on the camera in the inspector, but that must not be what your talking about as it keeps the same head turning amount/speed

9. tree_arb

tree_arb

The framerate on my pixel xl4 android is reading out as 200+ fps w cardboard app. with FPS bogs down as the motion blur happens.

I cannot seem to lock it to a lesser framerate. searching around seems to indicate its set by the SDK for most or all VR sdks. Anything I do to set the FPS or vsync seems to get ignored. The phone itself indicates its refresh rate is 90. This is also what non-VR unity apps read out as (90fps).

So, kind of seems like the 200fps is an issue.

I have a motorola g-S*** android or something and it reads 30fps w cardboard. Its hard to compare them...

but reading out 220 fps and then bogging to 170fps seems match timing w the motion blur im describing

10. arfish

arfish

Don't think the frame rate has so much to do with it. One way is to just check how much the XR subsystem has turned the camera since the last frame, and then add some fraction of it in y, to the player, or the camera parent.

11. tree_arb

tree_arb

Well I seemed to have failed to figure that out.

I cant figure out how to access any info related to xrsubsystem
    I tried to edit the tracked pose driver but it over writes whatever i save in that file.
    I did increase the camera rotation based on old/new frame difference in another class, but that doesn't interact well with the pose driver, or whatever is setting the camera.

That being said though. When I run "cardboard" demo app from google play, everything is smooth, and its also 1 to 1, I spin my chair 360 degrees and land in the same position on screen.

What I'm seeing is w the unity hellocardboard build is almost a jitter, turning head fast or slow. I don't think increasing the rotation speed will change it.. I feel like there has to be a stupid setting I am missing.

Even If I figure out how to change the rotation speed as you say. If your turning your head slowly looking at something it still will see jitter I believe.

I think this person might be referring to the same problem as me
    https://github.com/googlevr/cardboard/issues/163

The response was:
    the sensor fusion is performed by a Kalman filter in the SensorFusionEkf class. You can find details about its implementation here.

but I don't find the equivalent to that file in the unity sdk version

If its not obvious I'm still fairly new at this

What phone are you using that you feel its working well on?

12. arfish

arfish

Yeah it would be nice if there was a setting for it, to change the game camera rotation ratio from the real world head rotation. For now I guess you have to keep track of it yourself by storing the eulerAngles, or localEulerAngles in each frame to see how much it has changed to the next frame.

I haven't noticed any jitter from the new XR subsystem. The only degradation was when using the old built in VR in Unity 2019.4, where the tracking made the camera vibrate, like never before, kind of moving the camera one step forward, and a half step back every second frame.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  13. tree_arb

tree_arb

It almost seems that way on my device now. intermittently, its not really a lag thing as much as something seems off w the frame timing.

looks like someone else just filed a similar issue:
    https://github.com/googlevr/cardboard/issues/180

14. DaudHTMs

DaudHTMs

does someone have a tutorial or a video i can watch, i suck at following direction. I am 13 so i have a lot of school work and i totally forgot about my project i was working on.

15. arfish

arfish

Think there aren't any youtube tutorial for it yet, only for the previous VR SDK which is fine for Unity 2018.
    Maybe you could make one for the new XR System? :)

All the the few steps for the new XR System are in the quickstart guide as Treecrotch pointed out. Just add the demo scene. The stuff for downloading Unity, and building the app, and running it on a device are the same as for any non VR game for Android, or iOS.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  16. tree_arb

tree_arb

not yet that I know of

You do not have to use git if you don't want to. You can do this instead:
    That should get you past the git part you first reported being hung up on.
    There are some other details in post#4 if you run in to a snag with the quickstart guide.

I agree videos are nice, but if you keep at it line by line its not to difficult to get the sample project going.

17. tree_arb

tree_arb

I was complaining of poor tracking in cardboard SDK on my android pixel 4 xl.