Search Unity

Good workflow to take photoshop animation to sprite sheet?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by BusyRobot, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BusyRobot

BusyRobot

I'm creating animations in photoshop, but there doesn't seem to be any straightforward way to get them into sprite sheets.

My workflow is create the animations, create a new photoshop file and then move and place the animations frame by frame into that new photoshop file, which involves me trying to work out what's the largest rect they will be in.

When I used to work in Flash (vector) it was all straightforward, just right click on an animation movieclip and then it into a sprite sheet!

I thought about loading the animation, frame by frame into Flash, and then turning them into movieclip and then doing the sprite sheet option but there's got to be a better way?

I've tried the photoshop plug in which exports to a sprite sheet, but it doesn't seem to work.

beckymalin and BrandyStarbrite like this.
  2. KurtGokhan

KurtGokhan

Hey, I was having the same problem. The easier way I found it like this:
    Go to: File > Scripts > Export layers to files...
    This will output all layers as seperate png files. You can select trim option too. I think there is one bug with it though. Your layers must not be on any groups (Or maybe there shouldn't be any groups at all).
    After exporting layers to an empty directory, I go to a sprite packer software and create sprite sheet from the directory.
    This is still not the best workflow I presume. If there is some better way, enlighten us.

beckymalin and BrandyStarbrite like this.
  3. BusyRobot

BusyRobot

I tried Sprite packer but I couldn't get it to place the sprites correctly relative to each other, so I'm having to place the frames manually. My sprites are also on a few layers in photoshop.

4. KurtGokhan

KurtGokhan

I recommend TexturePacker for packing sprites. You can either let it place sprites on sprite sheet automatically or manually.

5. bgs

bgs

Hey, I actually made a Photoshop script for spritesheet generation from the animator. It also doesn't care about your layer structure, just goes through each frame and copy pastes the current image into a new file in a grid. Check it out here. Hope it works for you :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  6. jpnavarrofennell

jpnavarrofennell

Looks amazing!!!

fourzifer likes this.
  7. omghamstar

omghamstar

super nice script

8. rraallvv

rraallvv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.