Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Good ways to profile where GPU issues are on mobile devices

Discussion in 'Performance Profiling Dev Blitz Day 2023 - Q&A' started by DevDunk, Mar 30, 2023.

1. DevDunk

DevDunk

I work a lot with standalone VR (Quest 2), and wonder what the recommendations are to dive deeper into things that take up a lot of GPU time.
    Things like using the simple lit or lit URP shaders do not show up in the profiler, but have a big impact on performance. Right now I use my existing knowledge and a lot of trial and error to look for things causing GPU issues.

What are good tools to look into to get more info on what the GPU is doing on mobile/android devices?

alexeyzakharov likes this.
  2. alexeyzakharov

alexeyzakharov

Hi @DevDunk !

For mobile/android I would recommend using platform profilers - we do have pretty good integration with most of them and pass through almost all operations to the gles/vulkan debug api.

I would start from Android GPU Inspector (AGI) on as a general Android profiler. And then go to the platform specific profilers depending on the GPU you are testing for.

We also have very good integration with Arm tooling - I would recommend reading the following resources:

mandisaw and DevDunk like this.
  3. sebas77

sebas77

I am using AGI but I don't get how I can debug without knowing what I am looking at. I don't see any debug info that could help, like for example pass names or whatever.

upload_2023-11-17_18-32-32.png