Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Good way to create a golf course?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by unikum, Mar 28, 2011.

1. unikum

unikum

Hi,

I need to create a golf course in Unity, but the problem is that only using the terrain doesn't seem to be enough in details. On a golf course there are pretty sharp edges between for example the green and the fringe. And I always end up with very blurry transitions between textures in the terrains, even if I up the resolution.

And using only a large mesh I would assume is too heavy (each golf hole is pretty far and I need a lot of surroundings too).

Would it be a functional solution to mix them and use a mesh for the green for example and place that on top of the terrain (flattening the terrain in that position and like up the mesh with the borders)?

Here is an image from a golf game where you can see the sharp edges between the fairway, fringe and the green:

Same would go with the sand bunkers that have sharp edges:

Anyone got any ideas how to solve this?

2. kingmax

kingmax

I also want to know.

3. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Using large meshes for the golf course wont hurt, and should work rather well. Split the bunkers and such from there to use different materials, and make lots of use of tiling textures and splatmaps and you should be good to go.