Search Unity

Good VR workflow?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Leonetienne500, May 13, 2020.

1. Leonetienne500

Leonetienne500

What is a good vr workflow? I would love to make a vr game but it just is such a nightmare developing with a vive pro.

It is super tedious having to get the vr headset from my bed, having to put it on, tighening it properly, getting the chair out of my way and everything in reverse when changing a thing in the scene.

There must be a better way!

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I use a Quest, which is on the desk next to me, and most things can be tested using the "Stationary" (i.e. seated) guardian boundary, so I don't even have to get out of my chair — I just hit Build, wait 30 seconds for it to build and install, and put the headset on. There is no tightening it properly; it just slips on and off.

And even that, I only do when I really need to, like testing hand interactions. For most other things, I just play within the editor, and I've hooked up an Xbox controller to mimic movement and use of the controller buttons/triggers. The only thing I can't do that way is actually move the hands around (they're in fixed poses in front of me). But even with that, I can still (for example) test picking things up and dropping them, by putting them on a test table of the correct height for my nonmoving arms.

3. Leonetienne500

Leonetienne500

Okay. But i cant just buy a quest solely for developing. The vpro is clunky af