Search Unity

Good, up to date tutorial about ECS specifically in Unity

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by JulienBe, Jan 31, 2019.

1. JulienBe

JulienBe

Hello !

I've been searching for awhile for tutorials, preferably written not video, that are for someone that is somewhat new to Unity, but not to ECS ?

The few that I found were outdated, generally in video which isn't very well suited for code, and more focused on what ECS is or what it can do for you.

I'm looking for something that would explain how to define your systems, their order, the different type of jobs, how to do rendering, audio, basic stuff like that :)

Sorry if it's a stupid question and there is a well known place for Unity tutorials, but I couldn't find one that would satisfy me :/

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

There will be hard to find anything specific and up to date atm., since Unity ECS is in development. Best bet so far, is look at current samples repositories, and of course forum threads.

xVergilx likes this.
  3. JulienBe

JulienBe

4. xVergilx

xVergilx

Before you start - note that there's no native support for anything else than 3d rendering via pure / hybrid ECS.

That means no pure physics (3d/2d), audio, 2d sprite rendering, animations, etc. It's not available yet.

If you're new to Unity, start with classic approach, then move towards hybrid / pure ecs components.
    Or at least start with some basic tutorials, because hybrid still requires some knowledge on how monobehaviours work.

5. JulienBe

JulienBe

It means that I can't draw anything in 2D ? I more than happy to roll with my own physics etc.
    I just need a method that can say "print this texture at those coordinates"
    Same for audio, playing a sound would be enough, at least for now
    I really don't want to go with the classic approach. I've never really agreed with it :3

6. xVergilx

xVergilx

Rendering anything can be done via Graphics API, although I'd recommend looking into hybrid renderer package first, as that could render quads out of the box.

I don't think there's same solution for sound though.

7. JulienBe

JulienBe

Hmm ok thanks for your answer :)
    And do we know if the plan is to allow, in the end, to do with everything trough ECS or you're supposed to use something else for audio or other stuff ?

8. xVergilx

xVergilx

Everything will be available in the future from pure ecs. It's just not there yet.

9. JulienBe

JulienBe

Ok, I'll be back then ! Thanks for your time :)