Search Unity

good read about Android Fragmentation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maxfax2009, May 16, 2012.

1. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

2. n0mad

n0mad

Nice, I love their way of representing diagrams :eek:

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

yupp its a pretty interesting story

4. Aguy

Aguy

They got it right with the diagrams.
    Took me forever to pick a tablet and soon it may be obsolete unless they continue support of the first gen Tegra chip. The 2 I originally wanted couldn't give me a date on when they'd update to Ice Cream Sandwich or if they would at all.
    And my phone was another one that took awhile to pick even those I'm relegated to qwerty sliders with my big hands.
    Concept - great
    Implementation - nightmare

5. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Although interesting read, the article seems to have very little bearing on game development.

Most the fragmentation issues tend to be handled by Unity, so we specially don’t care much about that. The question I care the most about is: how many devices out there actually have what it takes to play games.

One of the things the article touts as "cool" not knowing who will end up using your app, and goes on to tout the sub $100 devices. Most those devices can’t even run games.

As game makers, our target market is not everyone with an Android device, but instead anyone with a decent enough chipset and enough memory to actually run games. Things can still get ugly even if your device matches the specs. I have a Samsung Gravity phone at home (was my wife's) that can’t even install Angry Birds because the bloat ware included consumes all install storage available. Even after uninstalling things via jailbreak I was not able to push my game into the device.

It's not even about "fragmentation", it's about target market. How many devices out there actually can be counted for our goals? So far I have not seen any statistic from Google (the only ones with real hard numbers) about GPU and Memory distribution. On that note, I think I trust more Google's own platform version distribution numbers than OpenSigna's (and although close, they are rather different still.)