Search Unity

Good program for making character clothing?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by MarcopoloR, Feb 24, 2016.

1. MarcopoloR

MarcopoloR

Hi, I was wondering if there is any good middleware program for making clothing for characters relatively quickly and easily. I need to make some highly detailed and realistic military uniforms for a specific country at a specific time period. I probably can do it in Blender but it seems like it would be fairly difficult and time consuming to do. I am sure I could do it if I had to, but I know there are many programs out there that make something normally difficult much easier, such as Speed Tree and Make Human. Wondering if there is anything out there that is sort of like a Speed Tree for making clothing, that does not require Autodesk software.

2. MarcopoloR

MarcopoloR

Hmmm, I guess there isn't one, since no one has replied to this thread. I guess I will have to do it the hard way. That is a business opportunity to anyone who has the skills to make such a program.

3. TonyLi

TonyLi

4. MarcopoloR

MarcopoloR

Hi, thanks for replying. I did look at Marvelous Designer but when I looked at it I wasn't clear to me if it was suitable for games or if it was intended more for general fashion design. Will take a look at it again.

5. _GimbalLock_

_GimbalLock_

Agreed, Marvelous Designer(MD). After that, I like using Zbrush masking/extract tools to create a base mesh... And then sculpting them... Also, there was a posting on Blender website a few days ago about using Blender cloth sim to stich/sew.... Similar approach to MD, but not as polished.

MarcopoloR likes this.
  6. _GimbalLock_

_GimbalLock_

MD mesh isn't something you would take straight into Unity... You would want to retopo the mesh it generates. But still faster than hand modeling/sculpting it. Check out Topogun for a good standalone tool... Although most DDC tools can have retopo tools built in or a plugin exist these days.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    MarcopoloR likes this.
  7. Rinoa_Heartilly

Rinoa_Heartilly

try iClone, they have a big market place with many clothing meshes, textures, real-time clothes which should be usable in Unity (some have export price, some don't)

MarcopoloR likes this.
  8. MarcopoloR

MarcopoloR

Hi, thank you for the suggestions, I was away for a while so didn't get a chance to catch up on this, will check these out.

9. Cygon4

Cygon4

I use Blender for this. Maybe you can spot something in my workflow that helps you:
    1. Do a rough fit with proportional editing (the round dot in the toolbar or 'O' on the keyboard, use mouse wheel to shrink/enlarge influence area) and edge loop select (alt+right mouse button)
    2. Use the shrinkwrap modifier to match the clothing to the body (this modifier moves the clothing vertices to the closest point on the surface of the body mesh, perfectly fitting the clothes to the body shape)
    3. Alt+s to scale mesh along vertex normals if any part lacks volume
    4. Copy body vertex weights to clothing via transfer weights (space, enter "transfer weights")
    At the moment, I stay with Blender 2.72b for step 4 - they replaced it with "copy vertex data" in later versions, but so far the replacement just messes up :)

MarcopoloR likes this.