Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Good polygons count for mobile?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by TraianDraghici, Nov 2, 2020.

1. TraianDraghici

TraianDraghici

Hello,
    What is a good tris count for a scene in 2020 for mobile phones?
    For example, how many verts or tris should a scene have for a mobile racing game to run decent on mid range phones?
    I know that there are other factors that count too, such as drawcalls, setpass calls but now I'm asking how much could the GPU take?

2. Ukounu

Ukounu

Anything from 100k to several millions, depending on what post processing effects you use, and what you define as "mid range phone".

I think the correct approach is buying a mid range mobile phone with specs matching your "target devices", and then testing/adjusting your scenes until you achieve desired performance/fps.

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Mobile doesn't mean much any more performance wise, the low end and the high end phones have very different performance profiles.

With that said, you are more probably going to bottleneck with post effects and / or shader complexity than pure poly count.

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Also note that just the "scene" tri count isn't a useful piece of info on its own, becuase it gives no indication of how many will be visible at once or how they're being drawn.

5. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

It depends on the type of race track you are making. A sandy desert race track might use less polys, than a race track that has a forest all around it.

TraianDraghici likes this.
  6. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I used to sweat polys, but as a rule of thumb ~200k total is safe.

That said, things like draw calls, post processing, and lighting are a much bigger deal.

And never underestimate how expensive tesalation is.

It looks pretty, but it’s a beast.

7. vivalarazaforever

vivalarazaforever

I' need to renew this thread as I to am making a mobile game. Pokemon style go clone, curious as to what my tri count per creature can be? I have took note of everything else thats been said I just want a base line based on a Pokemon Go clone?

8. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

I think it can be on higher end; usually the scene is only two creatures on simplistic background.Try to look for ripped models from GO or 3ds Pokemon for exact reference. I think on the following screenshot, there can be easily 25 - 50 K tris per model. The contours are just too smooth; maybe even modeled with use of Subdivision Surface

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  9. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Yeah, it definitely looks like they used a smooth modifier, or a subdivision surface modifier, or both if you are using blender, on those pokemon.