Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Good platform for publishing my first release ready game? (PC)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leonetienne500, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Leonetienne500

Leonetienne500

I have made a lot of games and have about four years experience in Unity.
    I think my latest game is finally worthy of publishing.

Ideally i would want to publish on steam, but it's quite complicated and expensive.
    What is a good platform for first time publishers?

I do not want to pay more than $10 and i do not mind my game being available for free.
    And no, i do not have my own business (as many platforms require you to have).

I am using assets from the asset store and will be mentioning them in the credits.

2. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Steam is my first recommendation. Other than Steam, you can try itch.io, but don't expect itch sales to match Steam sales.

3. Leonetienne500

Leonetienne500

I would love steam too! My fingers are itching to implement Steamworks and make some cool and funny achievements.
    However it costs $100 to publish a game even if it will be available for free :(

I've even heard roumors about them shutting steamworks down.

4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

First, don't wait until you feel your work is "ready" to publish it. Put everything you make out there. You never know what people may like, and you won't get real useful data until you do. Also, seems like every beginner artist has huge lack of confidence in their work, and this stymies them in a lot of big ways. Forget all that crap, and publish all your crap. Just keep charging forward. Every time you slow down or retreat because of ___insert emotional reason here___, somebody else is getting ahead of you.

Second, if $100 is too much, I'd launch your games everywhere possible that is free and keep doing so until you are making enough money to be confident that you next release will make ROI if you go with steam.

Think about it like this : take every knockout swing as aggressively as you can, but don't lower your guard until victory is certain.

Billy4184, Leonetienne500 and frosted like this.
  5. frosted

frosted

I agree with this 100%. Show your work to people. Don't be ashamed. Get feedback, even if it stings.

Leonetienne500 and iamthwee like this.
  6. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

If $100 is too much at Steam, try using itch.io.

What rumors are you talking about regarding Steam? (Link please) I have not heard any such rumors myself.

7. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm a Steam developer and even I haven't heard these rumours.

8. Leonetienne500

Leonetienne500

I don't even know. It probably was some article about how to publish on steam