Search Unity

Good looking low poly assets

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Bobnotarobot, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Bobnotarobot

Bobnotarobot

Hi all, this is my first time posting anything on the unity forum.

I have done quiet a lot of blender over the past two years, and want to make a low poly game in unity. However, when i import a model from blender to unity, the texture never looks great.
    Can you please tell me all the steps to follow to have good looking textures in unity for low poly.
    Do i need to do ambient occlusion in blender, unity or should i even bother?
    Should i create textures in blender, or create the materials directly in unity?

Thank you in advance.

2. joshcamas

joshcamas

You'll need to show what you mean by "the texture never looks great". Is it all blurry? If so, try disabling the bilinear filter on the imported texture.

For ambient occlusion, it totally depends on what sort of game you're making - is it super dynamic? if so, baking in blender may not work - if its static, then baking would probably be great since ambient occlusion effects are expensive. Also whether you want it is also totally up to you.

Not sure what you mean by creating textures in blender vs creating materials in unity. No matter what you do, you'll need to create them in unity (unless you're using the generated materials that are built on import, which I would avoid). How you create your textures are up to you :)

3. Baste

Baste

This is very much the wrong sub-forum for your question, so you won't get any answers. For Blender-to-Unity related questions, try External Tools.

4. Bobnotarobot

Bobnotarobot

OK, I'm sorry, I didn't know. I'll try on the other sub forum.

5. Bobnotarobot

Bobnotarobot

Thank you for the reply. I guess since much of the objects are static, then I'll probably bake the ambient occlusion in blender and do the few moving ones in unity. What I meant by not great is that they look so much worse in unity than when I just render it with cycles and a simple lighting, but that's probably to do with the shading I think.

6. joshcamas

joshcamas

Remember cycles takes minutes to render a frame and unity takes 1/60 of a second to render a frame ;) but yea I'd say ambient occlusion is definitely your best bet to make low poly look better (less flat)