Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Good fit for UI based project?

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by DuncrowLukas, Jun 14, 2021.

1. DuncrowLukas

DuncrowLukas

I have developed a WebGL application that makes heavy use of the UI, which supports image sliders, accordion style menus, etc. which the user can use to navigate and inspect a 3D object. However, it is crucial that this project runs on mobile devices via WebGL which doesn't seem feasible at the moment.

I am completely new to DOTS, and I'm scared by the thought of having to remake the project using DOTS.
    Would that be a smart idea though? Or might I be better off recreating my work in JS/CSS?

2. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

Bad idea. Browsers themselves are great at UI stuff, so you're just adding a massive amount of overhead by using a non-native engine like Unity.

You're better off using JS engines and writing code directly in JavaScript or typescript.

3. djsell

djsell

I would recommend not using TIny for this and looking into a different engine since a GO Unity WebGL app doesn't really run on mobile.

Tiny is just not remotely close to production state. I also imagine for a model viewer that you'll want to use custom shaders as well, which Tiny does not support out of the box.