Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Asset Store Sales

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ToshoDaimos, Nov 14, 2018.

1. ToshoDaimos

ToshoDaimos

I'm thinking about creating my first asset for the Asset Store. I have something bigger in mind, a framework which I plan to use for my project later. This is going to be a general purpose game framework which allows making any game easier and faster. I have no idea what are the sales of good, bigger assets on AS. Can somebody throw some numbers at me? How much did TextMeshPro sold? How much did Gaia sold? What kind of numbers are reasonable given a price of around 50 bucks? I know it varies greatly depending on many factors, but I need to have some kind of baseline to wrap my mind around.

Is there are any way to check sales of assets in the store?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  2. Mauri

Mauri

Not directly. A good indicator could be the reviews people made. You can't leave one unless you purchased the asset. At the time of this writing, Gaia (for example) has 344 reviews.

The caveats are that a) reviews from people that got refunded are still listed and b) not everyone leaves a review.

ToshoDaimos likes this.
  3. OnePlusOneNS

OnePlusOneNS

ToshoDaimos likes this.
  4. orb

orb

Code, editor tool and model/texture assets all have very different main audiences, with some overlap. Pure code/frameworks have to be good enough that people will want to use them instead of making something themselves, and easy enough that those who can't write them actually can use them. There's usually a steady stream of support requests for code assets.

It might be best to present a beta-quality version and get some feedback, maybe get a few testers, and ask people what they think it's worth. You'll get as many different numbers as there are posters, sometimes more :)

These two I think we can definitely say were selling well because they were (and Gaia still is) in the highlighted "Popular" and "Top Paid" categories on the store.

I think approaching it from the other end is better - what features does it have, and what do popular assets around the same level charge? For some assets there might be a perceived difference in value depending on what sort of code it is, because humans make no sense whatsoever.

ToshoDaimos and OnePlusOneNS like this.