Search Unity

Good articles/books on flight AI coding?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by tau, Oct 4, 2009.

1. tau

tau

Are there online resources/books that would give an in-depth development of flight AI opponents?
    I'm looking for a combat flying AI bots tutorials or set of articles to add some life to our game :)
    Can anybody help with the info, please?

The only I can find is a short article in "Game AI Programming Wisdom 3" book, but it's not enough to code a fully flying AI bot which will resemble a more or less believable combat pilot...

Thanks a lot!

2. tau

tau

Just played the old good "Star Wars: Starfighter", and it seems the flight AI is bit simple there, but that what I'd like to archive for the first step.

I saw OpenSteer library, but it seems to me that it's works better for racing games, not air/space dog fight games.

3. jeremyace

jeremyace

Steering behaviours actually work quite well for this when used properly. The key is how you apply the steering vector to your actual agent.

The steering vector is just a desired heading, and how your "pilot" chooses to point the aircraft at that heading and how fast makes all the difference in the world.

So I recommend you focus on how you want the aircraft to move, then worry about how it chooses a direction after that.

-Jeremy

4. Grady Lorenzo

Grady Lorenzo

I am planning on using the current flight control script i have on the player's jet (with modifications) and simply fitting the AI jet with a smoothLookAt, and another script to change the target every so often or under certain conditions...

5. Quietus2

Quietus2

That might or might not work so well when your enemy is offset from your avatar close to the Y axis. You could find him coming to a halt and spinning randomly like a mad-spaceman on a motor powered sit-and-spin.

Been awhile since I looked at that particular script.