Search Unity

Good 3dcard to buy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EducaSoft, Dec 9, 2010.

1. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Hi guys,

Its time for me to change 3dcards. My current machine is extemely powerfull (dual quadcore cpu xeons and ecc ram and such), but my gfx card is like 5 years old.

So Iw as thinking of buying a new card.

Does anyone know if a Geforce GTX570 would be a good choice for pure power?

I once asked this for a GTX295 but that was a dual gpu and would not benefit in unity3d.

i suppose GTX570 is single gpu so hopefully very powerfull ?

regards,

Bart

2. Artimese

Artimese

Don't bother with the gtx295, i doesnt even support dx11 (if your going to game with such a high end card) and isnt worth the price, currently i have the 460gtx and it works wonders for me, it even support 32x anti alising and runs unity as smooth as it possibly can, and its great for the price, the nvdia 500 series is only worth it if you really wanna push ur pc to the limit, and you wont see a huge difference in working with unity between the 400 and 500 series, ram has a lot to do with running unity aswell. And besides, you need workstation video cards if you wanna do 3d stuff and rendering, but those are probably way out of your price range (they run into the 2+ thousands of dollars)

3. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Well I must say I'm currently going to sell my PNY Quadro FX 5500 which is such a workstation card and I'm thinking of buying a GTX570.

I also do video-editing with adobe premiere cs5 , so there I would need CUDA power too.

The GTX470 is of course priced a lot cheaper so maybe a good alternative and still very powerfull.

4. taumel

taumel

The GTX460 offers a great bang for the buck, best balanced card nVidia has done since a long time.
    The GTX580 if you need more power.

Yep, it's that simple. :O)

5. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

Hehe, I think It'll be a 470 OR a 570

It largely depends. For unity a 470 will be probably as good as a 570. For adobe premiere I guess the 470 would be best choice since its the only one certified to work with cuda acceleration in adobe cs5 + it looks like cs5 doesn't use more then around 100 cuda cores, so more is not profitable and gtx470 allready has 3x more :)

6. taumel

taumel

The GTXx70 doesn't make this much sense to me because usually the GTX460 should be fast enough for many fields of applications and if you really need more, it's mostly the GTX580 you want. You can also look up some benches if two GTX460 would do a better job for your needs. You also might want to wait until the GTX560 will be released next year.

Btw who tells you that Adobe won't utalise CUDA in a more efficient/powerful way in the future?
    Okay, i see, their track record. Come on, all you negative persons on unity3d.com, there's hope!

But i didn't want to write this and more because things only get more complicate again...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  7. EducaSoft

EducaSoft

I understand Taumel, but gtx460 is not supported by adobe cs5 suite to provide cuda acceleration, even if the card has enough capabilities + the card needs at least 1GB (preferably 1.2 or 1.3Gb) of ram for the cuda to help in cs5 suite. Those are monstrous numbers, but I have to take into account that we are talking here about the calculation of high definition video on multiple tracks.

Its not uncommon to see render times for 1 minute of video to take 20 to 25 minutes, so acceleration is much wanted...

8. taumel

taumel

The GTX460 ships with 768MB and 1GB.

9. Artimese

Artimese

Yes keep in mind that the more memory the card has, ofcoarse the better it will perform, the 580gtx handles a wooping 1.5gb which is the highest for nvida cards, i know the mutli-core card from ati goes up to 2gb which is really high end including the price for it. Imo if your looking for the best card for your money, it would be the gtx460, youll have absolutly no problem with it and i love it. If you still want something better, then the 580gtx is probably what your lookin for, but keep in mind that you wont see an exponential difference while using unity, theyre all high end cards, but theres tons of other factors that can affect unity's capability which includes the processor + speed of processor, and ram + speed of ram.

So you can invest in a really high end card, but your other components must keep up (like an i7 900+ core, and 6+gb ram). You havent told us everything :p How much are you willing to pay, and hows your other components?

Ive seen great difference with load time aswell with workstation cards, with programs like photoshop, maya, 3ds max, etc. And theres some cards that you can transform into workstation cards but you'll need to do your homework to see how that works if your really worried about how fast your card will perform for work, more than games.

10. HolBol

HolBol

You could try an ATI HD 6850, averagely about twice as fast as the HD 5830. Cheap too, and low noise, low power consumptions and requirements.

11. JackRives

JackRives

Well, I got an Radeon HD 5750 for about $100. Pretty fast, works flawlessly with Unity.