Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games Golfy Golf :: 1 v 1 Golf

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by renman3000, Oct 12, 2017.

1. renman3000

renman3000

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. Serinx

Serinx

Nice work, looking really good! I like the art style.
    Some suggestions:
    It looks a bit too hard at a glance. Perhaps a little indicator to show roughly where the ball is going to land would help?
    The UFOs seem to be unavoidable which could be frustrating, they probably shouldn't move ontop of your balls existing position.

3. renman3000

renman3000

Hi thanks!

A couple of things, in response.....

The UFO video is a later level, so players don't start with this type of difficulty. There is a generous learning curve to get to this point. The video below is actually the first level (it has poor CPU Player AI in it.. it has since been updated to 100% accuracy, I can then adjust the it ability, just so long as it now understands the board, in the video below is does not).

Second, a power metre os being worked on. I do not want to add in a tool that showed you where your ball is going as the game is very much grid based with out real physics, so, where the guide would point to where you will land, is where you end up. There is no rolling around after land.

Serinx likes this.
  4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Nice work renman. The game looks pleasing and fun to play. I'll check it out. The subtle polish you've applied to a lot of areas and elements make the game look like a good quality, polished product.

I think you made a good choice with the quoted decision. I've been thinking about some vignetted game mechanics as well - to limit scope within a solo dev ability. I think you have nailed it here. Well done.

renman3000 likes this.
  5. renman3000

renman3000

Awesome!

Thanks!!!!

6. renman3000

renman3000

7. renman3000

renman3000

Hi Guys,
    Just set up a new camera sequence for when a player is abduction by the UFO.
    Check it out!!

8. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

Interestingly cute voxel style mini golf game. The UFO is frustrating even thought it's in later levels.
    Because if in multiplayer. I can calculate the timing and let UFO catch you when I past my turn.
    Then it will become a never-ending game. Haha.:D

In my experience. Premium is not gonna work well on Google Play but Apple Store.
    So implement premium on Apple Store and free with IAP on Google Play is the best.
    Keep it up.;)

renman3000 likes this.
  9. renman3000

renman3000

Thanks!
    Can I ask for more detail on your knowledge of App Store trends (google apple)?

10. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

Simply say iOS has more premium users than Google Play due to both cultures development.
    People "feel" items in iOS is more "quality" hence willing to pay. Even it's very expensive.
    While most Google users are trying to find items as "free" as possible and pay if really needed.
    So the monetizing of both market strategy must a bit different for best result.
    Additional I suggest you design more replay values for this kind of finish-able game.
    What players can do after clearing all levels. Multi-player is one of the idea.
    The more replay values. The more retention values your game has.;)

11. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Although agree with Akira - one unintended side effect a developer can expect is seeing reduced users for the premium product - resulting from offering a free ad supported version - driving users to the ad supported content.

Consider that side effect in your decision.

12. renman3000

renman3000

The way I see it is, I have a quality product of fun game play and cool visual presentation. Certainly worth a couple of dollars to anyone who truly wants to play it.

Freemium is fine, but with that, you need a massive audience to expect to see any returns. Without a major publisher, I need to promote myself. That said, I am making the demographic (at the moment, as anything can change), people who would actually like to play the game, thus pay for it.

I was teaching a course of Video Game Design at a local college last year, the kids HAAAATE freemium. All said they would rather just pay up front.

I think each has its advantage, but for me, at this point, I think the better way is flat fee up front.

peterk1968 and theANMATOR2b like this.
  13. renman3000

renman3000

14. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

@renman3000
    I see. The main purpose of freemium is to easily hook people in to try your game.
    Give player access to gameplay experience first. Hmm... Maybe Western market is different.
    You can try the premium method anyway. Nothing right or wrong.:)

Unity forum, Twitter, Google+, Facebook groups, Pinterest, other GameDev forums, Reddit.
    Unity Connect and so on are all great places to promote your awesome creation.
    The more social medias you can handle. The more exposure your game has.
    My way is everyday post 1 or 2 WIP progress or other announcement on social medias.
    Choose the right timing to post. You can easily find the peak hours of all social medias via internet.
    Attention: Don't post too much or it will become spam. Below 2 important posts a day is the best.:D

In additional. If your area have some game development gathering events like GGJ, local events etc.
    Game making competition or so on. You can promote at there too. Hope it helps.:cool:

Oh ya. I followed you on Twitter.
    Nice to meet you.;)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  15. ADNCG

ADNCG

renman3000 likes this.
  16. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Might also consider releasing 10 or so levels on other game portals (gamejolt, newgrounds, kong, itch.io) as a demo and at the end of the demo - direct them to the premium game hosted on mobile. Although not a suggested process I think it is worth getting the game out there and if porting is a quick process even if you only get 5% conversion - that is still more players buying the premium - and more users playing the game demo and getting your name out there - more who've played the game than before. ;)

renman3000 likes this.
  17. renman3000

renman3000

Wow. Excellent idea. Thanks. Is a free version on the App Store itslelf still a viable tactic, why not I guess

18. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Sure - call it lite or par3 or something catchy. :)

renman3000 likes this.
  19. renman3000

renman3000

Super Ultra! Orrrrr mmmm maybe not.

I really need to try and get some numbers for poten IAP downloads here, if there is a free version as I could have the free version as listed, or just one version where you get a few free levels to
    Play, then pay to unlock.......

The other method tho and why I have to balance numbers here is because I need to see if I hit so many free downloads loads, if the game was simply freemium with ads after each level, if that would pay for itself that way.

I need a reputable professional blusher who can help really.

20. renman3000

renman3000

Hi man, so I joined each group. Again, thanks for the tip. Seems Kongragate has some real quality games. What I am wondering is, do you know of how I can promote the game on the site? None of the sites for that matter, seem very clear on how a game submission can gain views.

Thanks

21. renman3000

renman3000

Just worked out a new instructions scene.

22. renman3000

renman3000

Hey thanks for the link to the App Store. I never even knew this existed!!!
    Cheers

23. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

@renman3000
    Nice tutorial. Simple and easy to understand. Achievement Unlocked.:cool:
    But you know how is the best tutorial. The best tutorial is no tutorial but player get it.
    Sounds ridiculous right? This is one of the best thing I learned last year which is not easy to design.
    I share with you about this. Take example like classic Super Mario.
    There has more space to the right than left on start so player know where to go.
    The first enemy is Kuribo so without learning jump player never get pass to it.
    There have ? boxes above which make player wanna jump on / below it to see what happen. (Curiosity)
    Something like that. Just share with you. Not necessary to apply here.:D

24. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

From my limited LIMITED knowledge - the best way is to get involved in each portal community.
    For instance - give some feedback to other developers on the sites, play there games, and do some dev blogging on the sites as well. Gamejolt offers some interesting site community activities. I'm not familiar with kongregate but Newgrounds was pretty interesting to me. You had to get voted up just to get hosted which I thought was kinda cool/interesting.
    So however many people played the game and upvoted it (5 star rating) before my demo could even be listed on the main site page.
    In each description of the game I asked for feedback - some people who played gave some nice feedback.

I think each portal has different 'ways' to go about promoting, but I think one of the best is being involved in the 'local' community. Always provide answers to comments and critiques - be involved. :)

25. renman3000

renman3000

100% agree.
    In fact that is how I traditionally attempted designing my level 101 of any game I made.... but every time I would hear.... "where are the instructions??!"

So yah.

I think since I design for mobile, the lack of physical joystick, one is never sure if they should tap, drag, shake etc... I hear yah tho.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  26. fla-rar

fla-rar

nice

renman3000 likes this.
  27. renman3000

renman3000

Nice one!!!

28. renman3000

renman3000

Updated Home, UI layout, gotta choose one.

29. renman3000

renman3000

Hi guys,
    I am looking for professional opinions....

I have various game modes, vs CPU, vs Local Player and Solo.

I have 3 achievable stars per level.

When using vs CPU, the three stars system works great. However, the system gets murky if in vs Local player (so you and a friend on the same device, as you may get stars you (as the owner of the device did, or did not earn)).

Any thoughts?

30. renman3000

renman3000

Got solo game play working this afternoon. My architecture was very well laid out, so plopping in new game modes was quite easy. So it has Solo, vs CPU with various skill levels, and vs Local where you can play a friend on the same device. Vs Online, could be done, but would take some time to plug n all them moving bits.

31. renman3000

renman3000

Hi guys,
    Just working on a trailer. Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

32. renman3000

renman3000

Hi guys, I finally got around to adding in some SFX, and soundtrack. its a first take, so please be kind. !!

Thanks

33. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Where are the EXPLOSIONS and screen shake!! Without at least 3 over the top explosions - I don't see this attracting many players.
    :D:p

renman3000 likes this.
  34. renman3000

renman3000

I do have the Zarlak cam.

And the Abduction cam.

BUT I HEARSZ YAH!!
    #Rambo

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  35. renman3000

renman3000

36. renman3000

renman3000

Hi guys,
    A Test Flight version is available. If you are interested, please let m know.

Thanks

37. renman3000

renman3000

Hi Guys,
    You can now download and play the game (*Lite). I have posted in on Game Jolt and IndieDB in order to gather feedback and build brand awareness. I hope to get a 100 000 to 300 000 plays over the next 30 days, at least that is what I have been led to believe is possible.

Hopefully from that I will gain the feedback I need to make any adjustments before I release the full version with some sort of monetization.

Please check it out and let me know what you think.

Cheers
    Ren

IndieDB
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/golfy-golf/news/golfy-golf-release-notice

Game Jolt
    Link coming.

38. renman3000

renman3000

39. renman3000

renman3000

So looking at some Unity Analytics, My players are averaging (today) about 4 minutes per session and about 1&1/2 hours, of play total, but thats just today.

That has to be a good sign!

Please try the game for yourself!
    https://gamejolt.com/games/Golfy-Golf/298397

40. renman3000

renman3000

Hi guys, just wanted to post this Update.

Currently #1 trending game on Game Jolt (Nov 26, 2017)
    Play Lite Version For Free Here On Game Jolt

Golfy Golf is a fun, new, exciting take on the classic game of golf featuring, 3 game modes, 20 levels, 6 worlds, menacing enemies, stiff competition, beautifully laid our grounds, visually appealing graphics and innovative game play set up. Its is sure to get you on the greens. FORE!

* 3 game modes (Vs CPU, Vs Local, Solo)
    * 3 Star level achievement to encourage return play
    * 6 worlds
    * 120 levels

Screengrabs:

Currently #1 trending game on Game Jolt (Nov 26, 2017)
    Play Lite Version For Free Here On Game Jolt
    [#gif, code??]

[#gif, code??]

41. renman3000

renman3000

It's actually at 1400 now with very positive responses. Please check it out!

They've even started making videos.

Play here from your desktop *Lite version
    link up

42. renman3000

renman3000

43. renman3000

renman3000

44. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

@renman3000
    Strange. Why it keep loading forever in the GameJolt site? I can't play.:(

45. renman3000