Search Unity

Goldeneye N64 Remake

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by brilliantgames, Mar 10, 2016.

1. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Hey everyeone. As a full time game developer, I have always been a huge Goldeneye fan. I decided to make a Goldeneye remake for fun as a side project. This demo you see is the result of just a few days of work, using my FPS system and custom lighting engine. The demo is running in Unity engine and the Facility map is a direct rip from the game. Let me know your thoughts!

A question for someone who knows about licensing. If I were to release this on WebGL as a fan made remake of Goldeneye for free, could I get in trouble?

2. mattmanj17

mattmanj17

That looks really cool!

I am no expert on copyright, but this might help

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/ne...ws+(Gamasutra+News)&utm_content=Google+Reader

it is probably a good idea to assume the worst when it comes to licening issues. Because you are using (what appear to be at least, it been a long time since i played goldeneye) the sounds from the game (ie, the james bond theme), and the exact level from the game, it is likly suspect.

If you just posted what you had as it is, no one would probly notice/care about it. If you 100% remade goldeneye in this style, things might go south.

If you had original (or public domain) sounds, levels, etc, and the game was just very "goldeneye esc" (in terms of the article, you would be relying on "unprotected game elements"), there wouldnt be a problem.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. behemothentertainment

behemothentertainment

The worst trouble you will see is a cease and desist letter in your inbox from Nintendo or the current property owner of the video games. I will say that there is no hope to get the license. The company that made the original is called, Rare and they recently released a collection of all their games on Xbox One, minus one game. That's because they couldn't secure the license again. A gigantic company and their best game of all time? Wouldn't mess with it personally but I can almost guarantee if you ever went public with this you would find a cease and desist in your inbox within a few weeks. Which if you ignore leads to a lawsuit. But you won't get in any trouble, technically speaking. But more likely than not, you'll have to abandon this shortly after announcing it.

4. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

And what about Goldeneye Source? That's a source engine mod a few guys made, it's pretty popular, wonder how they are able to get away with it.

5. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Well... it is all a question of how aggressive the owner of the IP is, (rare right? so uhh who bought them... right microsoft) and whether or not your making any money in any way (say like, an ad banner on a website that hosts the games download) and stuff like that.

The odds are against you. There is nothing to stop you from making Silvereye 006 though. :D

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. IO-Fox

IO-Fox

@brilliantgames , that was a very unethical and morally compromising rebuttal. Just because a few guys "get away with it" does not mean you are enabled to knowingly infringe upon the IP of another game developer. Shame on you. Either acquire the rights or work on your own novel IP... do not go around tampering with the work of other game developers (in the Unity community or beyond).

Mauri and theANMATOR2b like this.
  7. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

It's a fan remake..... I'm not trying to 'steal' anything, relax. Did you not read that this is just for fun? I develop games full time, I'm not even thinking of trying to make a dime off of this.

8. IO-Fox

IO-Fox

So if a game developer in this community releases a game this week, you can remake it as a "fan" a week later? I think not.

If you have not secured the rights to remake Nintendo's title, you do not have the right to touch it. Period. This includes sound, art, source code (not relevant here, I believe), level design, and so on. Yes, level design is protected as "artistic works" as illustrated on screen. As a game developer, as you call yourself, you should most definitely know the laws that govern our industry. Moreover, the rules of WIP specifically states it must be your game. Since you have not secured the rights, and you are infringing upon the rights of another game developer, this is not your game. Again, shame on you.

Mauri likes this.
  9. Jim_West

Jim_West

Nintendo is the worst in things like that, if you release it in any way and Nintendo sees it, they will take it down.
    Just look what they made with Youtube (where you have to regesiter and share your profit with Nintendo when making Let's Plays etc.)

IO-Fox likes this.
  10. IO-Fox

IO-Fox

Nintendo and Sega are brutal when it comes to IP protection, @Jim_West. And @brilliantgames, just to follow up, you did steal. You admitted to stealing the Facility map directly from the game (uncertain of what other elements you may have stolen). This makes you a thief... whether for profit or not. And to answer your question, if I wasn't clear, you will most definitely expose yourself to all sorts of legal trouble. Additionally, you will, if you haven't already, destroy your reputation as a game developer, in the process.

Mauri likes this.
  11. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

The thing is it does not matter with what intention you do use their intellectual property. If you like to use it you have to have the license to do so.

Be a good fan and be inspired from the game instead of stealing from it. Make your own little story and map and you are fine without having to worry that the owner of that IP will sue you for a mount that you probably do not able to pay that easily.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  12. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

People seem to be taking this a bit too seriously. Like I said, this is only a fun little project(I have plenty of other paid projects on the go). Did I ever say I was going to release it? I would never release it unless I knew it was safe. I will be sending some emails to Nintendo to see if there's any chance I can get permission for this. If I can't release it it will probably never go further than youtube vids and friends playing it. :p

Also, just to be clear, the only reason I am doing this is because there have never been any good remakes of this game. The only decent one is Goldeneye source but that is only multiplayer. I've wanted a proper remake of this game for years and no one has delivered, so I am taking it upon myself, whether it gets released or not. :)

13. IO-Fox

IO-Fox

This is a very serious issue. You say you have paid projects in the works, so what if someone stole your IP? Would you not defend it? Everyone posting here, I believe, will comment in the exact same manner towards someone who stole from one of your paid projects. The fact of the matter is, you are in the wrong for stealing the work of another game developer whether or not you will release it. The fact you stated how it may end up in the hands of your friends, you are disseminating stolen work. For example, I cannot get Unity's source code and modify, copy, or merge it without permission. I cannot claim I'm just doing it for me or only a few of my friends may be permitted to see or use the source.

There's nothing you can say or do to justify thievery - including poor remakes as justification. Just because you want a "proper" remake doesn't give you the right to do so without permission.

We are measured by the things we do when no one is looking... even if we don't release anything, @brilliantgames .

QFSW, Mauri and theANMATOR2b like this.
  14. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

If i would spend my free time on a game project and would not be able to share it with anyone i would feel like i have wasted my time. But that is my personal feelings and if you not indeed to publish it sure go ahead.

15. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Did you make Goldeneye?

16. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

The problem is there is ripped assets you are using, level, audio, fx, and the name as well.
    If you created everything yourself - all assets - all sound - all models - all everything - and listed this as a fan game "spiritually" based on the original - I think there would be less confrontation to your creation. Nintendo would still lay the smack down - but we as developers should be upholding the laws so when we eventually create something - maybe/hopefully others will have respect for our own IP creation.
    The source game probably "gets away with it" because all the assets are created by the developers, not ripped from the other game. I don't know this as fact because I don't play remakes of other peoples games - it's distasteful - but maybe that's how they get by with Nintendo shutting them down.
    It's still not morally right.

Just - think about your own personal creation - if you would want someone recreating something with your own personal character you use to promote your business - and either the person who is using your IP, either it's better than your own work, or maybe they show it in a terrible way - it's a bad recreation of your character or maybe it's even used on a site that has unscrupulous activity.
    And the other guys who use your character - they are very successful and are making sacks of money - from your character. Huh - shouldn't you get some of that money?
    Same deal - it's a violation of the laws and should not be tolerated.

Unfortunately Ketchapp does this on mobile on a habitual basis. They don't do remakes - they rip your mechanics and replace the character/visuals with something else - retitle - repackage - BAM! - temple jumper runner candy 3 flappy crossy cutty shooty game.

Mauri and ADNCG like this.
  17. GameTechnix

GameTechnix

Love that level, brings back memories :)
    I think its a great idea. Theres a source mod called Goldeneye which replicates the game in source engine.
    Looks like its still available.

brilliantgames likes this.
  18. kiknchikn

kiknchikn

The fact the original remake was in 95% complete when Nintendo scrapped it is a shame. We almost had a HD remake of Goldeneye when Rare Replay was release for the Xbox 1. I still shed a tear every time I see this.