Search Unity

Golden Axe like 2.5D Game turorial

Discussion in '2D' started by bscarl88, Mar 21, 2015.

1. bscarl88

bscarl88

Are there any tutorials or asset packages for a 2.5D game like golden axe, turtles in time, streets of rage? I want to have platforming mechanics like different levels to jump on, buildings the player can climb so a true platformer/2.5D game. Anything? Thanks!

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

do it in 3d, with 3d colliders/physics and the character controller. Then just line up sprites over them.

3. bscarl88

bscarl88

that seems like a way around though, is there any good way to do it in "True" 2.5D, if there is such a thing? haha My artist only does 2D sprites

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm only talking about 2D sprites.

You can use them fine in a 3D world, just set camera to ortho......

5. bscarl88

bscarl88

Is there a tutorial for that? I'm fine with attempting, I just figured I'd ask around first. My biggest issue is I'm wondering how to do the backgrounds in 2d and keep everything flat looking. If my camera is positioned to look at the meshes at an angle, won't they look skewed?

6. Batzarro

Batzarro

There's a little bit of terminology confusion going on here; Hi OP, you're saying 2.5D when refering to Streets of Rage and Golden Axe, that's what people used to call those types of games back when they were contemporary. Actually even back then, that term was rare, I think. I used to call them scrolling beat-em-ups while games like Street Fighter II were beat-em-ups. Games like Streets of Rage are also known as belt scrollers, but I think that's mostly in Japan. Games like Street Fighter II are now known as 1 on 1 fighters, or just fighters.

But games like Streets of Rage are mostly known as the beat-em-up genre nowadays, while 2.5D refers to something quite different. 2.5D now refers to something that isn't really even a genre, but more a graphical choice. Basically 2.5D is when a game has 2D style mechanics but 3D graphics. For example, Street Fighter IV has 3D models but the mechanics are of a 2D style; The characters can't move all around the stages like in Power Stone, they can only move left, right, and jump, just like in the old Street Fighter games.

Oh by the way, you mentioned "different levels to jump on", that's a little confusing if you mean platforms you jump on like in Mario Bros. Games like SoR and Golden Axe don't have platform jumping (well, not exactly). Some beat-em-ups did have platforms, but it didn't work too well, it may be best to avoid them, unless you find some fun way of adding them. At least one of the Double Dragon games have platform jumping, but it was annoying.

Good luck with your project. I love "beat-em-ups", so I look forward to it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    Davetronix and maimme like this.
  7. GrapeApeGodzilla

GrapeApeGodzilla

Have you checked out the new 2D roguelike tutorial on the Learn site? I think that will be close to Streets of Rage, but you will have to use your imagination after going through it to create a beat em up like it.

The tutorial does use melee combat and random lvl changing.

8. bscarl88

bscarl88

Ah, beatem up, i thought the technical name was something like isometric style or something, but I couldnt find anything and that didn't seem to fit the bill. I did mean different platforms, but I just want to be able to use different heights of paltforms within the level. Like in turtles in time, you could sometimes jump up on a walkway that was a little higher than the rest of the level. Like think if that ladder was climbable and you could go on the metal apartment escape:

(go to 4:10)

I did check the roguelike, but I don't think it's quite what I'm goin for

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  9. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

10. bscarl88

bscarl88

hmmm i don't think so, that's still a 3D 3rd person view tutorial. I need purely side scroller, with a little bit of verticle movement. And the player needs to be able to jump like in "Turtles in time"

11. zenGarden

zenGarden

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  12. bscarl88

bscarl88

I guess I could just take from a topdown 2D game, and put restrictions on how far they can go on the Y axis. I just have no idea how ill be able to do platforming mechanics mixed with it. Alas maybe it's not meant to be!.... yet.

13. Brainswitch

Brainswitch

The beat'em ups you've described use 2D for graphics but their world is 3D - entities/game objects have X, Y and Z positions.

14. bscarl88

bscarl88

I guess that's the tutorial/path im looking for, but how would I do a 2d background, since placing the camera at a downward angle would skew the floor and background images

15. zenGarden

zenGarden

The more simple way is really suing 3D collisions and world.
    Just use a 3D capsule colliders for characters and attach animated character sprites to them, for backgrounds some cubes with only the front face textured with your level images. For the floor , 3D cubes also with the top face textured.
    So you will use your 2D sprites and level images and will benefit 3D collision to manage your game in a real 3D space , but it will play and look like a 2D beat them up.
    Like some people mentionned it's really the best and easy way, the less complicated where you have all freedom of creation.

Good luck.

16. bscarl88

bscarl88

I'll try that out! Thanks! :)

17. Badwires

Badwires

I've barely touched Unity, so I couldn't tell you how I'd do it here. But from what I've read in my own research, seems like one way to accomplish this is to use 3 objects for your character. One basically acts like the shadow you see under Raphael above. It never leaves the ground. You pin to that the actual hitbox for the character and then pin the animations to that box.

When your character jumps, you only change the y-axis of the hitbox (the animation follows it) while leaving the shadow object on the ground. I'm not 100% clear on this next part, but I believe you somehow flag the area under the raised ledge you want to land on to tell the character hitbox to change the y value it stops falling at. So as long as your shadow object (not to be confused with the visual shadow displayed to the player, which you'll likely want pinned to the feet of the character while walking) is in that zone on the ground level, the hitbox will be displaced on the y-axis to appear to walk on the platform above. When it leaves that zone, the hitbox continues falling back to the shadow (you walk off the ledge).

I haven't done it yet myself, but hopefully that gives you another angle to approach the problem from.

18. tedthebug

tedthebug

If you do it in 2d you can use effectors for the platforms so the character can jump up through them but then stand on them