Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Going back to 4.6 from 5.0

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by DennG, Apr 14, 2015.

1. DennG

DennG

Hi,

is it possible to downgrade a project from 5.0 to 4.6?
    When I just open up my 5.0 project in Unity 4.6 all the scenes are empty...

I want to go back because of performance issues in Unity 5.
    Thanks in advance.

Best regards
    Dennis

2. Marceta

Marceta

Yes, but not so easy. You will have to re-setup whole project from 0.

3. DennG

DennG

Damn...

What about putting all GameObjects of the Scene into one new GameObject and save it as a Prefab (in Unity 5).
    Then create a new scene in Unity 4.6 and drag the prefab into it.
    This should be quick solution, right?

4. Marceta

Marceta

There is no quick solution. It doesn't matter new prefab would be also created in Unity5 so it's useless in older unity versions.

5. DennG

DennG

Yes, I've tried it yesterday without success.
    Thanks anyways!

6. LaneFox

LaneFox

You have to start a new 4.x project and import all of the assets. Scenes upgraded to 5.0 will not work. There is no effective way to regress.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity 5 is faster than 4. It's likely you're doing something wrong, or it's just a bug. If you share more information about what you're doing, it'll help and you can remain on 5. Remaining on 4 really isn't recommended in the long term as fixes will stop while the rest of the world (devices and operating systems) move on.

8. Marceta

Marceta

Hippocoder is right. Unity 5 is faster, even there are reported perfomance bugs on forum. What i did when i upgraded my project (Android) to Unity5 is checked to not use that next gen rendering stuff. That stuff is not for mobile. Also one more interesting thing to mention is that uGUI objects that are not in camera view are still being processed even when not visible. So try to check more about optimizing your game, i recently did procedural game with a lot of generation and moving objects, rendering stuff , etc... (last project | Android) with Unity5 and game perfomances are quite fascinating.

9. DennG

DennG

Thanks for all the replies!
    Since I made two apps that are running smooth 60 fps, I know a little bit about optimisation and tried make this app even better. My problem is the UI...

That's one thing i didn't knew. I think thats the problem!

I've created a new thread about my performance problem yesterday:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/bad-performance-in-unity-5-caused-by-ui.318804/

Would be great if you could check it out.

10. Goofy420

Goofy420

It is possible to downgrade a Unity 5x project back to Unity 4.6. Unity 5 binary serialization is different, especially using the 64 bit editor since Unity 4.6 is 32 bit. This has no effect on ASCII data, so all that's required it to force ASCII data format in your project.

Step 1. In Edit>Project Settings>Editor, click the dropdown box for Asset Serialization and click Force Text.
    Step 2. Allow your project to reserialize. If it doesn't start immediately, click refresh in your Project pane.
    Step 3. Close Unity, and reopen it.
    Step 4. Export your project to a unitypackage
    Step 5. Create a new Unity project in Unity 4.6 and import the exported unitypackage
    (Optional) Step 6. Back in Edit>Project Setting>Editor click Force Binary, reserialize, close Unity, reopen Unity, back into Edit>Project Settings>Editor and click Mixed(default setting). Binary is much smaller and faster than ASCII but are encrypted.

Unity 5.1 has way too many bugs so I reverted to 4.6.
    Try this:
    In Unity 5.1.1 or 5.1.2, edit an fbx in 3DSMAX by opeining it from within the editor. Have it open in Max 2014 or 2015 and move the folder it resides in to another folder within Unity. Witness the popup that states that access is denied and close the popup by clicking cancel. Now witness you now have two folders of that name, one in the original location, and one in the folder you attempted to move it to. Also notice that both folders are now empty. On two occasions, I couldn't recover the contents of the folder, but the other times they weren't deleted from my hard drive until I closed Max, so if this happens to you, refresh or reimport before closing Max.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  11. Noktai

Noktai

I also had problems downgrading my project, but the scenes show up with this method, thanks.
    But unfortunately all my gameobjects their animator's statemachines are empty. When I copy over the animators from the 5.0 project the states are there, but all the attached animations (motions) are gone.

Any idea on what to do about this?

12. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Looks like in unity 5 the data of state machines have a different format, so unity 4.x has no way to read it.
    Looks like you have to rebuild them from scratch.

13. Noktai

Noktai

that sucks, but thanks for the answer :)

14. rus89

rus89

@Noktai You don't have to rebuild you animations from scratch. Solution that works for me is next, select animation (motion) for your state and change its Animation Type to 2. Than you can add your motion to your state.

Attached Files: