Search Unity

'Go back to...' for individual files (not entire project)

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by kropcke, Feb 12, 2019.

1. kropcke

kropcke

HI All.

I'm looking into using Collab for a project I'm leading, but am having some trouble (and questions!) that I was hoping someone could help me out with.

The 'Restore' and 'Go back to...' functionality in Collab makes sense as it relates to the entire Unity Project. However, I'm wondering if I can 'Go back to...' previous versions of individual files.

For example, let's say I want to be at the latest version of my project, but I want my 'Awesome.fbx' to be at version 4/5.
    Is that possible?

As an alternative, is it possible to 'Go back to...' older versions of my source file 'Awesome.mb' that also happens to be located in my Unity project file?

Or does this fall under the umbrella of 'branching' - which I believe is an ongoing effort?
    Hope this makes sense. Please let me know if it doesn't.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
    -kropcke

2. T5Shared

T5Shared

You can, using the Collaborate web browser functionality. You can download any version of a single file, and then copy that into your Unity project. So it is a bit laborious, and you have to be careful, because the web view likes to show garbled history of a file (either showing the history of different files together or 'missing' certain checkins).

3. kropcke

kropcke

Thank you so much T5Shared!
    Gave it a test run, and it works just fine - much appreciated!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for 'garbled history' and 'missing' certain checkins as you described. Don't see it yet, but thank you for the warning.

Thanks again :)

-kropcke

T5Shared likes this.
  4. StaceyH

StaceyH

Unity Technologies

5. T5Shared

T5Shared

Hi @StaceyH , no I don't mind, but to clarify, you are already aware of this issue. It is the same as @AcidArrow described recently:

To which you replied:

Maybe with the added note that I said that some submits did not show up in the list, but since generating the list can take a while, maybe I should have waited longer in that case

Thanks,
    Matt

6. T5Shared

T5Shared

Wey hey! The 'combined history of files' problem has been fixed. Thank you. It is now not allowed to click another file or folder until the history of the current selected file is fully displayed.

Unfortunately, when clicking on a folder, the first file of the folder is automatically selected. And displaying the history of a file is painfully slow at the moment (taking up to 20 seconds for me). These two combined mean that browsing through our project folder structure (opening folders inside folders, you know the drill) is REALLY slow.

Edit: Sometimes it is really fast, though. Want that :)

7. StaceyH

StaceyH

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the feedback! I'll pass it along to the Dashboard team to see if there's anything we can do about the speed. Would you mind DM'ing me your location or emailing the support team to pass it along to me? I suspect that'll be the first question they ask. :)

8. T5Shared

T5Shared

I have sent you my location (not terribly secret, by the way)

9. StaceyH

StaceyH

Unity Technologies

We have deployed a fix that has resolved the slow load time within the dashboard.

10. T5Shared

T5Shared

Yes, load times are basically instant, but they show incorrect information (I have sent you an example)

11. StaceyH

StaceyH

Unity Technologies

Ah, thanks for catching this issue and sending over the repro steps! The team just deployed a fix for this so you should see the right information now.

12. T5Shared

T5Shared

I have done some testing, and so far everything is correct. And blimmin' fast as well. Great stuff. If I was a mean person, I would say that the web interface is now finally usable. But I am not. So I won't.

ryanc-unity and StaceyH like this.