Search Unity

gmax

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by AaronC, Feb 5, 2007.

1. AaronC

AaronC

Hey guys
    I was having a look at some models on turbosquid and I saw quite a few that were .gmax format... As best I can tell, alias/autodesk swallowed up gmax, correct? Was it an old modelling app similar to 3dstudio max?

I hope to find a converter. There were also some interesting models that were .w3d format , which turns out is shockwave 3d. So are they output by director?

AC

2. pete

pete

autodesk released gmax which afaik was basically 3dstudio for free (minus a few features). they discontinued it but are letting turbosquid still provide it. you can dl it at turbosquid but it's pc only. i've never tried but i'd bet it'll be tough to get them out to another format if you can at all. i think it only allows for saving in the gmax format - might do 3ds in which case you could but it'll be a couple steps. a big who knows on animation. there also might be something in the gmax license that says you can only use them for gmax packs. i'd definitely figure it out before paying for models you can't use.

someone else will have to let you know on the shockwave stuff...

3. milkytreat

milkytreat

yah gmax was great - but you can only use gmax for games that had gmax packs

4. taumel

taumel

w3d is director's propritary format which can only be exported not imported again (by the 3d applications).

There was a tool named plasma from autodesk which was built for director which was great as you could already define the physics in the modeller and export them with the geometry and so on. It's abilities were limited to the capabilities of director and it could export to flash. Not available anymore due to low sales figures.

There does exist a shockwave exporter for 3dsmax which is the best one for w3d files which they forgot to put in 3dsmax 9 - at least that's what they are saying.

gmax is a pure modeller which was built for game modelling in order that people use a autodek product but aren't scared way by 3dsmax high price. It exported directly to directX useable code. As far as i remember they shipped it with some titles but i really can't remember which ones...

5. AaronC

AaronC

Thanks guys
    I'd like to find gmax if anyone knows where to look...
    AC

6. pete

pete

you can still dl it at turbosquid i believe

7. taumel

taumel

Still on my harddrive...50MB

8. pete

pete

mine too. still haven't bothered to use it.

i could post it for you targos but i think they make you register it (pretty sure but maybe not). that's through turbosquid too iirc. you're probably better off just getting it there cause you need to set up an account etc to get registered...

9. AaronC

AaronC

cool...I had a look but Im pretty sure its not there. the autodesk website says they're"not supporting" it any more so I'd say its taken out of the loop...If you want to PM me a rapidshare link that would be cool...We need to cut the phone in the next day or so, so if its too much trouble ATM dont worry about it. If it cannot export to anything except gmax its probably not much use anyway.
    thanks guys
    AC

10. pete

pete

you don't want autodesk. they've canceled gmax but are letting turbosquid distribute it. *i must yell* TURBOSQUID!

http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

BIG OL' GREEN "DL GMAX" BUTTON IN THE UPPER RIGHT? and also some other dls in the list below.

:D

[ps sorry bout the phone thing :( ]

11. AaronC

AaronC

Oh there it is...Got it thanks Pete!
    AC