Search Unity

Glow from texture

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by sama-van, Feb 26, 2013.

1. sama-van

sama-van

Hello,

I am looking for a "glow" shader from a given texture on iOS...

To be sure the the shader isn't working for Unity4 only please note I am under Unity 3.6 iOS Pro.

I attached a picture to this message with a preview of what I am looking for.
    Note the glow effect is in 3D space, not only something backed into texture.

Below the description :

1 - Main texture RGB (wihout alpha for now) - Lit (no light)
    2 - texture to defing
    3 - RGBA color attribute to define the color Emissive (black and white texture where the white define the glow area)
    4 - float attribute to define the glow size.

A package is attached to this message ready for use for your test!

It doesn't need to be optimized, I am just looking for a good rendering.
    That is actually to do an update on my folio, already on the store for free download with zero Ads, etc...

https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/sama.van-chronology/id474749657?l=en&mt=8

If want I would be glad to add your name + URL to website in the copyright section from each models using your shader...

Thanks a lot!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. tatoforever

tatoforever

I'm gonna give it a look later. I would be glad to help for free and have some credits in your app for it. :)
    Cheers,

3. sama-van

sama-van

4. tatoforever

tatoforever

Yes, glow effect requires a post-processing technique.
    This is how i plan to do it:
    Objects will be selectively rendered into a camera. I then render the objects Glow textures into a RenderTarget (it would be a Black and White full-screen texture), I'll use this texture to selectively get pixels from the screen and to bright them and offset them to create that blurry effect around the glow area. :D
    A cheaper but less accurate effect would be a bloom effect.
    Would you mind posting this in my thread so other peoples can benefit from it? :D

5. aubergine

aubergine

You can try my glow per object asset in the assetstore. It does what you need.

6. sama-van

sama-van

uh? This one?

- https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/2443

7. sama-van

sama-van

Yeah sure, I already added the url to this page in your thread o_<

I'll write comments about your coming shader in your thread as well o_<

8. aubergine

aubergine

This one indeed. It will work on new generation mobile gadgets which support SM2.0(Gles 2.0) Obviously it wont work on old hardware.

I provide a generic solution, its your job to do optimisations for your needs though. Soo, requires some effort on your side at the end.

9. tatoforever

tatoforever

I've gave a look to Aubergine Glow effect and that's indeed how Glow works, it should work for what you needs. What that guy was probably hoping was some sort of outline shader. It needs OGLES2.0 capable hardware as iPhone3GS or equivalent.

10. tatoforever

tatoforever

If you care to give a better description and maybe some videos or more images examples in your package people will rate your Glow Effect as a 5 stars asset. Because it's a real Glow effect. :rolleyes:

11. sama-van

sama-van

Well, yes iOS support is very important...

Also the glow size is interesting too I think...
    The fact to get the glow texture on a separated texture is important since it won't work on object using alpha for the Diffuse itself...

I attached a screen with a preview of the shader template I am looking for...

After if the main color of the glow could be from the glow texture itself it is better as well.
    But it is very important the glow's color isn't picked from the mainTexture.... Artist concern o_<!!

Attached Files:

12. sama-van

sama-van

Bump ^___^!!!

Still didn't find anybody wishing to give it a try :(...

That is for iOS GL2.0, no need optimization, mainly for showcase o_<.

Please please please ^__^.

13. aubergine

aubergine

If there was any other way than what i offered you, i would have already put it in the assetstore by now.
    What else are you looking for?

14. sama-van

sama-van

Yeah but as you said and reapeted to me, your shader works perfectly on Android.
    But I am looking for a proof of test on iOS before buying your shader :(....

As I said from private messages weeks ago, if you send to me a copy of your shader, I try it out on iOS
    I have pro license for both 3.5 and 4, ipad2, ipod4, iphone 4, iphone 3GS, and ready to try it on each devices.
    And if the shader works on iOS, I'll buy it though the istore leaving a very good note.

Also ready to share a screen with one of my asset of your choice with your shader for your item's sell on the Unity Store then guys will have a better preview of your shader...

For now feedbacks I am reading on your shader's package from the store + screen you provide really doesn't convince me to give it a try :(.... Really...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  15. SRH

SRH

Check you PM, I send you a shader...

$glowv2.png

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  16. sama-van

sama-van

T___T!! looks awesone!!!!

I'll test it out after my working day!! Give me 10h!

Really sorry for the delay for the answer....

17. sama-van

sama-van

Alright guys!

Got in touch with SRH and we tested his Blur shader on some models of mine.
    It works great on ipad2 and lets hope he will drop it on the Asset Store soon!!!

Below attached screens you can see the shader running on ipad2!!!

He got 100% my support!!!!
    Very cool guy though!!!!!

Attached Files:

• $aaa.png
      $aaa.png
      File size:
      441.6 KB
      Views:
    • $bbb.png
      $bbb.png
      File size:
      342.5 KB
      Views:
  18. tatoforever

tatoforever

@sama.van,
    Glad you found help, I didn't really had the time to work it out. Sorry for that. Some guys in my thread still waiting for their shaders. ^^
    Cheers,

19. blobmedia

blobmedia

Hi SRH,

Looks great! Any chance I could get hold of a copy?

20. ZJP

ZJP

+1. I am interested too.

21. sgoodrow

sgoodrow

Indeed, would you be willing to share this on the Unity Wiki, I'm sure there are many who would appreciate it. It would also serve as a great template for RenderTexture post-process effects.

22. sama-van

sama-van

23. ZJP

ZJP

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  24. tatoforever

tatoforever

I've already worked out the Glow post-process (well almost done), it should available in my thread soon. Here.

PS: Good looking models. They seems very optimized.

25. SRH

SRH

For those interested I uploaded a webplayer: http://www.i-gamedev.com/demo/Glow11Demo.html.

There will be a lot more information on my website in the following days and I plan to submit the shader to the asset store next week.

26. opsive

opsive

As ZJP mentioned, we've released a mobile friendly glow effect shader on the asset store here. If you are targeting mobile devices the shader will use the alpha channel to make the glow as efficient as possible. It also works great for desktop platforms. You can view the web player demo here.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  27. SRH

SRH

The 'shader' (it ended up being a lot more then a simple shader) has been submitted to the asset store. More information -> http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/180602-Announce-Glow-11-glow-for-desktop-and-mobile

Update: My shader is now available in the Asset Store.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  28. Fishypants

Fishypants

Hey SRH,

I purchased your glow asset (which is awesome by the way) but one thing I noticed is - after importing the unity package it seems my entire projected is capped to 60fps. Is there something somewhere in either the dlls or one of the scripts somewhere that is either enabling VSync or setting the target frame rate? If so could we turn this off?

29. SRH

SRH

No, there is nothing in the DLL that enables vsync or sets the framerate.
    In the demo scene there i a script attached to the camera to set the framerate to 60fps, but unless you copied the camera from the demo scene that shouldn't have any effect on your project (that script is located at Glow11DemoScene/Scripts/Set60Fps.c)

30. Fishypants

Fishypants

Hey SRH,

Yeah it was weird, after importing the unity package it was capping the FPS even on new blank scenes. So as a test, I removed the unity package and manually set my VSync to ON, then reimported it, and turned VSync OFF and now all is working well! Not sure what the issue was before but its working great, really love the plugin! Nice job.

31. cartoonsmaker

cartoonsmaker

I really need it. Can you please send me it in PT message.

32. mitaywalle

mitaywalle

bump, need non-posteffect glow :(