Search Unity

Glow 11 - for desktop and mobile

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SRH, May 1, 2013.

1. SRH

SRH

I'll have to take a look at this. If max blending isn't supported there should be an automatic fallback to an alternative shader (that fallback was added in version 1.0.5).

2. SRH

SRH

Looks like the hotfix has slightly less performance then the "old" version.

Until a final solution is found I'm offering two different versions
    1. Hotfix V3 - No warnings, but degraded performance. This fix will be released as version 1.0.8

2. Alternate hotfix - One warning per frame, but better performance.

3. E-McNeill

E-McNeill

I'm currently developing for the Oculus Rift. I bought Glow 11 and tried to use it, but the glow effect was offset from the object for some reason. Have you released the Rift-friendly version yet? If not, could you send it to me?

4. SRH

SRH

Check your PM.

5. my4keys82

my4keys82

Does this mean it's possible to get this to work with oculus rift?
    I'd be interested in purchasing this if so.

Thanks,
    Mike.

6. SRH

SRH

Yes, there is an Oculus Rift compatible version available (but the Oculus Rift version isn't included in the package atm.)

7. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Hi,

This is amazing tool but when applying glow 11 draw-call get double haw can i fix this.
    i used glow 11 ver 1.0.7 . and unity 4.1.3

help me.

regards,
    play_edu

8. SRH

SRH

There is no good way to fix that. The scene needs to be rendered twice (once normally and once for the glow).
    You could try to enable "reuse depth", which will avoid rendering everything twice, but in many cases this ends up being slower (if you're on a mobile device I can almost guarantee that this will be slower).

9. Addisonr

Addisonr

For some reason I can't seem to get this glow script working on the Samsung Note 2. It works on my S4 and my Galaxy tab 2, but the note is just not glowing....

10. SRH

SRH

Try to change the downsample blur mode.

11. Addisonr

Addisonr

That worked, amazing! Thank you

12. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.
    But all abject count ??.
    Can not make like this if i'll add glow on 5 objects then draw call inc-rec 5 not more than that.

13. SRH

SRH

All objects need to be rendered as they could occlude the glowing objects. This can only be avoided by using MRT (which aren't supported by all devices and would cause a lot of other small issues) or reusing the depth buffer from the 'normal' rendering pass.

14. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

Paypal won't allow transactions from the Asset Store, giving the following warning message about Unity Technologies:

This recipient is not a registered Premier or Business Account.

Someone somewhere has broken something. You might want to get in contact with UT and re-run the promotion.

15. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hi,

I want to buy it, but do not have pro, si there no way that this works on Pro ?

Cheers
    Cobus

16. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Hi,

In stereo it's not work with anti-aliasing. In render setting anti-aliasing disable it's work Bit i'll ingress sample rate it's not work.

17. SRH

SRH

It will only work on Unity Pro.
    If you want a glow for the the free unity version you should take a look at Indie Glow

18. SRH

SRH

What do you mean by "In stereo"?

19. SRH

SRH

As a few people requested the Oculus Rift version I'll post a download link to the patch soon (in about 8 hours).

20. exiguous

exiguous

i wanted to buy your package in the asset store daily deal but for that it requires Unity version 4.2 . in the requirements you mention 4.1 . i don't want to update Unity every now and then when i have no use for added features or fixed bugs just for purchasing a package. you should always create the package with the lowest possible unity version to not shorten your user-/customerbase.
    so its a pity for me and a lost customer for you and UT.

21. SevenBits

SevenBits

Seriously? It's a point release...

22. SRH

SRH

As there is a bug in Unity 4.1 which breaks the glow when animating a material (shaderKeywords don't get copied when instancing a material), 4.2 is actually the lowest 'possible' version.

23. exiguous

exiguous

which afaik still not contains nested prefabs or new gui system and the other stuff is not essential for me. on the other hand an update only means wasted time and download capacity (thanks to always included demo). and i mean i'm on 4.1.2. and i read that some people still use 3.5.7. so its not that old.

then you should also update your description as this still mentions 4.1.

its not only a complain to you but especially to UT for not beeing able to purchase stuff when the version is higher than the installed version. with the update frequency of Unity and some packages a big fat warning should be enough to let the user decide wether he/she wants to buy it now anyway and use it later. as far as i understand i purchase a licence and this should not be tied to a certain software version.

24. SRH

SRH

You're right, that was an oversight on my part

25. SRH

SRH

26. gegagome

gegagome

I am trying to add Glow 11 to my imported meshes without luck.

Any ideas?

Fr reference, I am applying X material to a unity game object and it works, but when I apply it to my circles (coin-shaped, one low poly and the other high poly) it only shows the glow, and yes, I created a glow color and circleNormal graphic, which again works fine in a unity cylinder.

I also imported a squared mesh and same issue.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  27. SRH

SRH

Please send one of the meshes to glow11@i-gamedev.com and I'll take a look at it.

28. spietars

spietars

Any chance of getting this to work for multiple cameras? I have two cameras side by side, each filling 50% of the screen, kind of like Oculus. I see the Oculus patch uses the texture where scene was rendered but I don't have that... So my camera is just a normal camera with Viewport Rect Width 0.5.

Now the glow is offset...

Thanks!

29. uniphonic

uniphonic

How does Glow 11 compare to the Angry Bots bloom effect?

How does this compare with the new Unity 4.2 "Bloom (Optimized)" image effect?

How does the performance (frames per second) compare to either of those?

Thanks!

30. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Hi,

It's Great work with Mono(Normal game).In stereo there is a two camera.But that time It's not work with anti-aliasing and if i'll disable anti-aliasing then it's work.

If you know about Stereo have check it: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/2927

31. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Hi,
    thanks for ans.....:grin:

32. im

im

hi

what can a glow shader be used for?

thanks in advance!

33. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

This is a super cool asset. I started playing around with it, and the quality and amount of control is just great. Nice job!

I did run into one issue though. If I enable anti-aliasing, it looks like the glow is offset for items on the top half of the screen and mirrored for items on the bottom half of the screen.

For example, with no AA:
    $Glow_no_AA.PNG

With AA:
    $Glow_with_AA.PNG

Am I doing something wrong, or is that a bug or what?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  34. SRH

SRH

Here is a patch that fixes this: Download

35. SRH

SRH

That shouldn't happen and it works fine for me, so I need some more information.

Does this happen on Windows and/or Mac (if Windows, which DirectX version)?
    Do you have any other image effects on the camera?

36. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

Hi,

Just bought this and implemented it into my game. There's a few problems...

The first is kind of expected. There's no glow effect at all on Windows 8 Phone. But being a new platform I know there's issues there.

The next though is really one I would like to fix.
    On my Galaxy Note the Glow renders but the rest of the scene is black.
    I made sure 32 bit buffer is on, and I have tried the Mobile Texture and a Normal Texture.
    I disabled Glow in the Camera and the game renders fine, without the glow of course.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Phil.

37. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

I just tried your Demo Scene and get the same issue. The blur of the glow effect all shows up, but the Blue Background and all the textures are black.

38. SRH

SRH

Sounds like the final blending between the scene and the blur isn't working correctly. I've no idea why this is happening on a Galaxy Note (could be a driver bug).

Try to change the blend mode from additive to screen, while I doubt this will actually help it's worth a try. If this doesn't help I'll provide a version that will do the blending in a different way.

39. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

Yes it works with screen.
    I'll have to tweek the effect again, but it should work nicely. Thanks.

40. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit. DxDiag says I've got DirectX 11, though I know the cheesy card on my Unity machine doesn't support DX11 hardware features.

Nope, no other image effects. It even does that on the DemoScene scene that comes with the Glow 11 package.

I did notice that if I switch to deferred rendering, it goes back to being correct (with AA enabled), though I do need forward rendering on my current project. EDIT: I guess that's just because deferred rendering disables AA internally? It didn't look anti-aliased with that.

EDIT #2: I saw this page that seems to be relevant:

http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/SL-PlatformDifferences.html

There are even a couple of lines of shader code to deal with image effects when using anti-aliasing under DirectX. I even thought about trying to put that in the Glow 11 shader code, but to be honest, I don't know where that would go. :)

EDIT #3: I can confirm that the glow image is simply flipped vertically. I put this in Glow11Compose.shader just before the return in the vertex shader (which is funny, since I don't know what I'm doing with Unity shaders):

Code (csharp):
    1. #if UNITY_UV_STARTS_AT_TOP
    2.   o.uv.y = 1-o.uv.y;
    3. #endif
    That works, though the docs say you should also do it like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. #if UNITY_UV_STARTS_AT_TOP
    2. if (_MainTex_TexelSize.y < 0)
    3.         uv.y = 1-uv.y;
    4. #endif
    I tried declaring "uniform float4 _MainTex_TexelSize" and that compiled, but the if statement didn't fire.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  41. SRH

SRH

Check your PM.

42. devbr

devbr

Just sharing an information. Glow 11 was covering NGUI elements and this last patch solved the problem. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  43. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

The glows in the test scene and every scene I create are inverted top-to-bottom. I am on Windows 7x64bit with an NVidia DX11 card (GTX 670.)

Any idea why everything looks wrong?

44. SRH

SRH

Looks like there is a bug when using DirectX with Antialiasing.

Luckily there is now a patch that fixes that issue.

45. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

I'm not sure if this is a feature or a bug, but when I select any of the shaders not under the Glow11-->Unity section the material is bright white. The glow works but there is no texture.

46. SRH

SRH

These shaders work correct, they appear white as they use the Vertex Colors for self illumination.

47. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

So why have a Main Texture slot? Is that just for the Glow to reference?

48. SRH

SRH

You can still use the Main Texture. The final color is MainTexture + Illumination (+ whatever else there is in that shader), so if the vertexes wouldn't be white you would be able to see the texture.

49. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

Awesome! Thankyou very much :)

50. kilik128

kilik128

need do somethink's spécial for mobile ? i have black screen on s||