Search Unity

Glossary of Terms

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by Antony-Blackett, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Hi all,

I was wondering if there was already a glossary of common game dev terms on a wiki somewhere? I find a lot of people on these forums struggle to find answers for simple things because they simply don't know the language to search for. An example of this is I see a lot of people complain about 'graphics corruption' when they are really referring to z-fighting or banding or compression artefacts etc.

It would be great if we had a unified and well maintained glossary of terms somewhere so that we can refer to it and get a better understanding of each other and also enable new developers to learn the language terms to help themselves look for solutions to problems easier on these forums, through Google or Unity Answers.

I think each Glossary definition may need to be more than just wordy definition for some things, a good example is z-fighting as it can be best explained with a short video or gif showing some z-fighting geometry.

Is there anything like this already that I simply don't know about?

I tried to create an account for the Unity Community Wiki so that I could start one but I could not create an account, I got some PHP error. Is there somewhere else I could create one that would be a suitable location? Ideally it would be a wiki so others can contribute to the glossary as I definitely don't know every term in every discipline there is.