Search Unity

Glorious Gun

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by LargerEagle, Sep 24, 2015.

1. LargerEagle

LargerEagle

Glorious Gun
    Hello Unity Community I'd thought I share one of my recent projects with you because I would really like some feedback. The past 2 weeks I've been working on this little top down 2D timed shooter thing. It is one of the first games that I have created on my own (other then art(I did create the main character, but its rubbish.)). I created it to try and learn programming and Unity, and 3D is just to complex for me at the moment.

Now back to the game, I have only created one level so far, you start out in the first room and you must reach the end in a matter of time! PS. Click the timer to pause If you want to look around. On the way you see wonderfully made Gold Coins! Which will give you a higher score if you collect them. Also there are red blocks for health. (You may need it!) Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Things to note:
    • Click to shoot
    • The sword is a weapon!
    • You will slowly re-gen health (still thinking of ditching that , considering your timed anyway.)
    • Only one level, I have very little free time to work on this, and I'm still learning a lot, so any level design tips would also be appreciated!
    Software Used:
    Download Links:

RavenOfCode likes this.
  2. IAndrewNovak

IAndrewNovak

Hi. I play you game and see some bugs in console after loading first level.

Attached Files:

3. LargerEagle

LargerEagle

@Mr_Tactic Strange didn't see that while testing but Thank you! I will look into this and fix asap. I'll need to check if I have the object then decide to run.

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

Is it possible to beat the first level? Even running right past all the coins and enemies, I still couldn't make it to the end on time. If I actually pause to collect/shoot, I don't even get halfway.

Controls are a bit iffy. My first play through was just figuring them out. I think directional would work better (the way twin stick shooters work, which this kind of is...) so pushing up will move me up on the screen instead of forward.

5. LargerEagle

LargerEagle

@Schneider21 Thanks for the feedback! Maybe I've just play tested so much its become easy to me. He, but yes it is surely possible! Changing it to a twin stick shooter control has definitely been a thought many times due to the practice it takes to get used to the move to mouse on W controls.

6. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Not bad, the controls are really my thing, I more of a wasd guy :) Also the player moved a little to fast.

When you are in import settings for sprites change the 'filter mode' to point for the main character, it will him look less fuzzy.

Something I think you should really add is a blood system (or death animations), it really would help knowing you killed something. :)

Overall not to bad for a few weeks of work, keep it up. :D

7. LargerEagle

LargerEagle

@RavenOfCode Thank you very much for the feedback! It was very helpful!
    • It does seem that many people prefer twin stick controls over W and mouse, will have to implement that soon.
    • I have tried using particle systems for blood but they act really weird in 2D, randomly clipping through some parts and not others, if you have another solution for blood please let me know! I'm thinking maybe just run an animation of blood spatter on death.
    • And point mode is something I've been needing forever.. I couldn't find out why my pixel art was blurry.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  8. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Im currently making a 2d adventure runner, and for death I used blood animations. :)

9. LargerEagle

LargerEagle

Another Update!
    I took all your feedback into consideration! Thus I must get some more!​
    Changes:
    • Added easily extendable blood system
    • Completely changed movement system /feedback needed!/
    • Added VERY short tutorial level for testing
    • Tweaked some other small things
    • Turned off timer /can be turned on by clicking the timer/
    • Changed speed of player
    • Reduced size of file by HALF!
    Download Links:

Known Bugs:
    • Second tutorial audio plays repeatedly if you enter it again. /Already fixed in next version/
    • Strange tiling glitches in grass /Tiled2Unity bug still needs to be figured out/

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  10. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Much better :)

The only thing is there is no strafe animation for the player, nothing major but i could suggest using the forward one for all movement.

Nice job, looking forward to seeing more. :D

LargerEagle likes this.
  11. LargerEagle

LargerEagle

@RavenOfCode Thanks again for more feedback! *can't believe I didn't notice that animation problem* Look for seeing better AI and Boss Battles next update!

RavenOfCode likes this.