Search Unity

Resolved Global Volume Override Different Light Layers

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by mikeohc, Apr 6, 2023.

1. mikeohc

mikeohc

Is it possible to have 2 global volume with Indirect Lighting Controller controlling different light layers at the same time?

Currently which override priority is set higher will override the global volume lower, despite each affecting different light layers.

I want to have inner layer with 0 multiplier and outer layer 0.5 multiplier.
    lightlayer.JPG lightlayer2.JPG

2. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, no it's not possible. We don't have per-lightlayer mixing controls.

The Indirect Lighting Controller lets you control the indirect lighting for a list of light layers.

Light layers that aren't ticked in the dropdown below will have their indirect lighting intensity defaulting back to 1.0. And all the ticked items in the list will share the same multipliers.

upload_2023-4-11_13-23-52.png

Out of curiosity, why would you need the exterior multiplier set to 0.5? and not 1? Can't you achieve a "0.5 look" outdoor by just dimming your ambient lighting?

You can use an environment ambient different than the visual one by feeding your own volume profile to the Lightmapper (also used to compute the global light probe):

upload_2023-4-11_13-33-5.png

mikeohc likes this.
  3. koirat

koirat

This question is coming back constantly.

The short story answer is - you will not have realtime ambient light scene with dark "caves" that are dark when your camera is in light region. (and vice versa)
    Currently every solution is a hack.

For such a feature you would need lightmap and light probes. (but it's not a realtime)
    Or some kind of ray-tracing.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
    mikeohc likes this.
  4. mikeohc

mikeohc

I want to achieve darker shadows outdoor while still having the same highlight intensity. But I guess using post processing would do in this case. Wanted to see what was possible before committing to building out the environment, thanks!

I agree every solution is a hack. Wanted to see the ways to achieve dark interiors without baking because the environment is fully dynamic. I don't have raytracing available so that's not an option. I have mentioned H-Trace working as a substitute for ambient light without baking here.

fakebouncelight.JPG

If per-lightlayer mixing controls were available (which isn't), then I would build out my environment to compensate for that.