Search Unity

Global illumination in large indoor area strategy

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Brocan, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Brocan

Brocan

Hi all,

I'm going crazy for figuring how i can apply GI to large indoor areas. I've an industrial warehouse with dimensions about 120x40x12m. This warehouse has only a few windows in the ceiling. Now they are only illuminated by real time illumination using the sun, the windows area has shadows but the rest of the warehouse (including the objects inside) has a plain lighting (due to the ceiling projects shadow over all).

So, what is the best way of illuminate it? I've put realtime spot lights as lightbulbs but even in deferred the performance goes to hell. The idea i've now its bake the GI using light areas in the ceiling and spot lights in backed mode, and put a light probe area to shade the dynamic objects; although i suppose that with this method i'm going to loose the shadows of dynamic objects, isn't it?

Or there are another strategies to compute a nice lighting?

Any help should be appreciated,

Thanks in advance!!!

2. tryptic

tryptic

Large warehouses typically have a grid of HID lights spaced across the ceiling mounted to structural ribs. Deferred lighting cost usually involves limiting the number of light volumes you are looking through at a given time. Maybe instead of having the full grid on, you could selectively light certain areas to guide the player (if this is a game), & create some nice ambient-only space where the GI could really spank. If you need the full grid on then you'd most likely want to bake it all, and leave a few lights dynamic for shadows.

3. Brocan

Brocan

Uhm... i'll try this aproach. Thanks :)