Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics Global Illumination horribly slow since 5.3

Discussion in '5.3 Beta' started by TomasRiker, Nov 16, 2015.

1. TomasRiker

TomasRiker

Since version 5.3, I'm getting horrible performance of real-time Global Illumination.

As soon as I do real-time changes to any parameter of my sun light source (position, direction, intensity, ...) or update my sky box texture, it introduces strong spikes in the frame duration (several hundred milliseconds) that occur about every second.

Unfortunately, this makes the game/simulation completely unplayable with Global Illumination enabled.

Prior to 5.3, everything was running smoothly. I was always using the latest Beta versions.

I attached a screenshot of the Unity Profiler output and the Windows Task Manager. CPU usage is always around 50-60%, no spikes are to be seen there.

Also note that Global Illumination is not showing up in the Unity Profiler, although there is a red "Gi" item in the legend! The spikes we see in the other tasks are most probably the result of the Global Illumination spikes that aren't visible for whatever reason.

Screenshot (click to enlarge):
    Screenshot.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  2. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Do you have a bug report with something we can test with?

3. TomasRiker

TomasRiker

Uploading my project ... will take some time. I will post here when it's done.

4. TomasRiker

TomasRiker

Done! The ticket ID is: 745096_b7p6cg9mmqtj498i

5. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Thanks. Advanced it a bit in our QA pipeline.