Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Global Illumination Cost for 2DRenderer???

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by castor76, Jan 8, 2021.

1. castor76

castor76

I could be wrong, but when you do profiling while running even an empty scene using 2DRenderer pipeline, I still get some CPU cost going on for the Global Illumination section in profiler.

Is this false alarm? Or some GI thread is still running at the background, even, (obvisouly) totally not needed for current 2DRenderer pipeline?

upload_2021-1-8_15-7-19.png

Yeah, It's small, but still! It's there? How can I completely disable GI process?

2. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

Hi there,
    First, please uncheck the green box for "Total Time". That really needs to be removed from the chart as it's just a sum of all the others and makes it all seem doubly bad as it's essentially double counting. Without that it puts you at 0.03ms which I believe is just some remnant Editor overhead of the GI system running in the background. At least, I was only able to find any non 0 Enlighten work in the CPU profiler when targeting the Editor.
    There was a branch where we tried to clarify the GI Profiler Module status based on GI being used or not. I think that might've fallen through some cracks and I'll dig it out again.

3. castor76

castor76

Oh I see. I will give a go with profiling with build and see what happens. Glad that it was only indicating the editor overhead.

MartinTilo likes this.
  4. castor76

castor76

upload_2021-1-8_20-31-28.png

It is showing flat 0.1ms, but I am hoping this is another false alarm and not really 0.1ms spent on the GI?

5. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

It's showing the threshold line for 0.1ms which is the last threshold line we make sure to show by enforcing a minimum scale on the chart. The chart is entirely Empty ;)

castor76 likes this.