Search Unity

Global data to be accessed by a system

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by 11tomi12, Sep 8, 2019.

1. 11tomi12

11tomi12

I am new to ECS and am trying to convert a very simple traffic simulation to it.

My entities are vehicles that have data for direction, navigation data and movement.
    Systems move, rotate and set a new path when hitting an intersection.

My problem is that the data from paths and intersections is stored in lists and arrays. I don't know how I would arrange the data so that it acn be accessed to determine a new path. I tried it with a singleton but Burst doesn't allow non-readonly statics. my other idea was to create 2 new types of components, paths and intersections. I would then need a way to acces all entities of those types at once in a system. How could I do that? My idea was GetEntityQuery but couldn't get it to work.

2. Tony_Max

Tony_Max

To access global data (singleton's static as i understand) u can use SharedStatic. Also u can arrange your data as DynamicBuffers which accessed inside bursted job as well.
    Getting all entities through EntityQuery should work, maybe u do something wrong with parameters of GetEntityQuery().

3. DreamingImLatios

DreamingImLatios

ComponentDataFromEntity and/or BufferFromEntity are probably what you want for being able to access all entities of the types you care about in a random access manner.

4. 11tomi12

11tomi12

Thank you for your help guys. I managed to make GetEntityQuerry and ToComponentDataArray work.