Search Unity

Global cordinates system for game objects

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by RisenSnake, May 22, 2023.

1. RisenSnake

RisenSnake

Right, so I want to make a classic Nintendo 90s 2D title screen for spress start, then 1P, 2P, Options, Insert Coin. Problem is, unity gives each type of object in the editor it's own variable cordinate field instead of a constant global field, for example;

2D object, sprite, circle; 0,0,0
    UI, image; -459.05, -199.4, 0

Camera is in 2D object coordinate field, maybe UI needs to be in same one. I'm stuck on the first hurdle of game development here!

2. spiney199

spiney199

Do you mean local position as opposed to world position? Unity's transform component displays the local position, but you have access to
    transform.position
    for world position, and
    transform.localPosition
    for, obviously, local positio in code.

I'm not sure what the actual problem is here as you haven't clearly described the issue.

3. RisenSnake

RisenSnake

Right, so I want to make a classic Nintendo 90s 2D title screen for spress start, then 1P, 2P, Options, Insert Coin. Problem is, unity gives each type of object in the editor it's own variable cordinate field instead of a constant global field, for example;

UI, text, TextMeshPro; 0,0,0
    Position in game; randomly somewhere, not even a 2D object, just a 3D overlay to a 3D camera

You can't even use your own system fonts as text, only a choice of about 5 fonts; Anton BELOR

I read you load and crystal clear, your choice.

I can optimize this game engine for 2D, but you have to pay me first. Marketplace loot goblins, give me my dues and I'll sort you out. Refuse my offer and I clean you out with superior software, OpenKai2D.

4. RisenSnake

RisenSnake

Right, so I want to make a classic Nintendo 90s 2D title screen for spress start, then 1P, 2P, Options, Insert Coin. Problem is, unity doesn't allow for simply attaching a script to a game object such as TextMeshPro "Press Start" to get the words blinking and linked to an input trigger event.

while true do
    TextMeshPro1 visibility 1
    TextMeshPro1 visibility 0
    break trigger_start

In fact, now that I look around this software, how do you even add a script at all?

Anto from Belfast 6/4 out of here I think
    ackennedywork@gmail.com if any free speechers out there want to really make their own dreams come true.

5. spiney199

spiney199

6. orionsyndrome

orionsyndrome

OP is either drunk or this is the weirdest bot I've ever seen

Bunny83, Nad_B and arkano22 like this.
  7. Nad_B

Nad_B

upload_2023-5-22_11-3-14.jpeg

orionsyndrome likes this.
  8. Nad_B

Nad_B

Ha the famous AnimalMan...

I'm not sure he's trolling intentionally though, I think it's just his character.

orionsyndrome and Bunny83 like this.
  9. Nad_B

Nad_B

Wow, bots are really becoming smart...

Bunny83 likes this.
  10. orionsyndrome

orionsyndrome

But do androids dream of edible dogs?