Search Unity

Glass,Chrome Reflective material shader assets pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by brn, Feb 14, 2011.

1. deckard

deckard

Hi Bruno,

I have been using your Hard Free Shaders extensively in my project. But I have just upgraded from Unity 3.5 to Unity 4.0 and it now appears that your shaders do not compile in d3d11 mode.
    Do you plan to release a DirectX 11 compatible version of your shaders any time soon?

I also noticed that the name of some properties of your shaders is incorrect (as compared to the usual naming conventions in the other game engines or in 3d packages like 3DSMAX):

- you have named "Shininess" the specular hardness (the diameter of the specular spot). It should be named "Glossiness"
    - you have named "Glossiness" the specular level (the brightness of the specular spot). It should be named "Shininess"

2. PaulR

PaulR

Would also like to get some info on the Unity 4 DX11 version. The free shaders don't seem to work, so i'm reluctant to buy the pro version until I know they will work.

3. edd

edd

Hi I recently purchased "Hard Surface Shaders Standard"
    Will you be releasing a updated version for unity 4? under the current build practically every shade is non-functioning or is only partially working?

4. panta

panta

Excellent pack of shaders! Looking forward to using these with the screenspace raytraced reflections once you release that.

Not only are the effects solid, but having access to this much shader code is a necessity for anyone trying to learn the craft themselves.
    Bruno goes out of his way more than any other asset developer to make sure the shaders are running in your Unity. Replies to comments on youtube videos/unity answers/this thread/etc

5. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

I hope you are still monitoring this thread, Bruno since you didn't answer for quite a while.
    Some pages before you mentioned implementing a self-illumination shader ... yet there is none in your package. Are you planing to add it to the package in the near future?

6. edd

edd

My fault, after a re-import I received no issues with this package... I am assuming the bulk of my difficulties where due to a faulty download, all others were simple conflicts with other my own shaders.
    all in all its a great package

7. Vanderic74

Vanderic74

Hi, could you tell if you are planning to release a shader pack for iOS and would you know when?

Thanks
    Eric

8. KarelA

KarelA

Attached Files:

9. yuze

yuze

Hi there im really disappointed i cant get this to work with Lightmapping. Any advice?

All that remains is difuuse... Thanks!

10. rickysac

rickysac

I don't know if someone has already answered the question but... why this shaders don't work with Unity 4? I noticed that also other similar shaders with trasparency and/or reflection don't work no more. Why?

11. blueivy

blueivy

Is this asset still supported? I think he works at photon workshop now

12. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Still works in the latest version of Unity, here.

13. blueivy

blueivy

Does it work in dx11?

14. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Hmmm. yeah, I really don't use a lot of the reflection factor, that does seem to have been toned down (in DX11, here)
    though it is still there.

15. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Here is a screencast of a bit of Hard Shaders in DX11.
    I will contact Bruno on Skype when I have time to talk to him about it.

16. blueivy

blueivy

Have the bugs in the screencast been fixed or are they still ongoing?

17. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

The bugs, meaning what I show as the reflection and specular?
    These are how it is now, here.
    Looks like it is also being affected by the new linear color space setting.
    I really don't know enough about it all to discuss it.
    Once I've had a chance to talk to Bruno, I'll post here.

18. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Ok, just Skyped with Bruno.
    There is a package for DX11 version (of Hard Surface Shaders) for Unity 4.1,
    not yet compatible with 4.2 and higher, but shouldn't be long before that is also available.
    Anyone wishing to receive this DX 11 (4.1) compatible package should PM Bruno.
    (he just went to bed so give time time to respond)

19. blueivy

blueivy

One more question. Say I wanted to use this assets real time reflection/refraction and chromatic aberration with marmoset shaders would that be possible?

20. SympaK

SympaK

hi bruno, excellent work. just one question, being an almost complete noob: how to apply them?

21. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

You apply HSS just like any other, once you've work in Unity for a while, you'll see how easy it is.
    Here's a quick video showing how to apply the shaders.
    If you have questions about creating a Specular or Cube map, let me know.
    At least how I do it.

22. SympaK

SympaK

Hi Don, thanks.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  23. hp5lamps

hp5lamps

Is Bruno still maintaining and developing his Hard Shader pack? My company are very interested in buying the pro pack as we could do with real reflections but there hasnt been a release in a while and it looks as though he has stopped replying in this thread?
    As we are looking at developing our project over the next 12 months, we need to be certain that bruno's shaders work with future releases of Unity. I have tried emailing him but no response so far.

24. Arowx

Arowx

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  25. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

I wouldn't recommend it as it is very old and doesn't support defered rendering or linear lighting. I guess he has got a job with another company which is why he doesn't support it anymore as it would be a conflict of interest for the company. Also the technique the pro pack has for reflections does have issues. It is only suitable for reflections on small objects with curved or complexed surfaces. It can't do reflections on floors for example without visible errors. Even he was working on a product mentioned above to resolve those issues before he went quiet about that too. If you just want reflections you would be better off waiting for candelera to be released in a few weeks. If you can wait a bit longer then Jove has the most ambitious roadmap but isn't likely to be completed until Summer.

26. giancamati

giancamati

Dear All,

this asset looks amazing, and exactly what I have been looking for. I downloaded the Free Version, but strangely non of the shaders work. or at least the pre-loaded scene there is no evidence of it. I am on a Pro Unity3D 4.5.f3 version. Fully licensed. I downloaded the Free version 1.14 of the Hard Surfaces assets.

Any suggestion?

Thank you.
    Giancarlo

Attached Files:

27. Arowx

Arowx

Check your quality settings are they high enough?
    Try using DX9.
    Check that your GPU is compatible e.g. what shader model can it use.

28. giancamati

giancamati

Hi,
    I've set the quality Settings to Fantastic and on the top bar it says "DX11" and in the Quality Emulation option I have the "Shader Model 2" and "Shader Model 3" available. I selected both but not much happened .

Thank you..
    GC

Attached Files:

29. Arowx

Arowx

It looks like the shader is dropping back to a lower default shader. It could be a bug or it might be that your hardware does not support the features it needs. What is your GPU?

NB In the player setting you can toggle DX11.

30. giancamati

giancamati

OMG!!, I turned the DX11 off and I got a much better result!! how comes?!?!??! What is it using now? standard OpengGL? i'm confused but it works!

Attached Files:

31. Arowx

Arowx

It should drop back to DX9.

I would check the default scenes against images from the developer just to be sure.

32. giancamati

giancamati

uhm... what you mean with that?

Anyway thank you very much for that. I know a one little thing more about Unity3D now. :)

33. Arowx

Arowx

Just that it was odd that it didn't work in dx11 but does in dx9, so you might want to compare the default scenes against those advertised to be sure that it's working right. Especially if you are considering buying it.

34. denissavin

denissavin

Temporary fixes for Hard Surface Shaders Pro Version 1.14 for Unity 5.3 (yet the author does not fix)

1.)
    Replaced for files:
    HardSurfaceProScreenSpaceReflection.cginc
    HardSurfaceProScreenSpaceRefraction.cginc

from
    #ifdef SHADER_API_D3D9
    to
    #if defined(SHADER_API_D3D9) || defined(SHADER_API_D3D11) || defined(SHADER_API_D3D11_9X)

2.)
    For all Hidden shaders:
    HardSurfacePro Hidden *.shader

Comment Shader Model 2 :

/* SubShader { // Shader Model 2
    } */

3)
    For all Hidden shaders:
    HardSurfacePro Hidden *.shader

if find string "Blend SrcAlpha OneMinusSrcAlpha", then add parameter alpha:blend to #pragma surface ... string.
    Example:
    #pragma surface surf BlinnPhongHardsurfaceBack alphatest:_Cutoff
    #pragma surface surf BlinnPhongHardsurfaceBack alphatest:_Cutoff alpha:blend

PS
    I hope it will be useful.

elias_t likes this.
  35. elias_t

elias_t

@denissavin. Good Job! You resurrected this package from the dead. It is a pitty that the developer didn't update this.

36. yellowlockermatsu

yellowlockermatsu

Anyone got the Free Version still on them?