Search Unity

Glass,Chrome Reflective material shader assets pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by brn, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Curious

Curious

Beautiful :D

2. seventyfive

seventyfive

again, really nice package, but i have a situation, where the fallback (e.g. diffuse) is not triggered on some graphic cards, instead its rendering nothing with the hardsurface pro / transparent diffuse shader. can anybody confirm this, for example on a small mac book pro with intel chipset and mac pro with geforce gt120?

Furthermore the GUI is not rendered at all. Seems like its breaking up for good after the card is giving up?

attached the result from my recent mbp and from a mac pro on nvidia gt 120.

thanks for any help :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  3. felix_berninger

felix_berninger

still having the white pixel bugs. can anyone help.

further infos are in some earlier posts in this thread.

4. getoffworld

getoffworld

Does this package work at all in 3.5 for OS X? Once imported (even before I apply one of the shaders) my Console fills up with errors on what seems like every Hard Surface shader. They keep me from entering playmode much less compiling my level. Removing the Hard Surface Pro folder from my Assets dir seems to be the only way to clear things up. I purchased it fresh this morning and I did not have an install of the Free version loaded -- which I really should have done given the lack of REFUND process on the Asset Store. Live and learn I guess.

Anyone else having this issue? Are the shaders not compatible with 3.5 or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Shader warning in 'Hidden/Hardsurface Pro Front Opaque Specular': Program 'frag_surf', Temporary register limit of 8 exceeded; 9 registers needed to compile program at line 39

Keywords: DIRECTIONAL, LIGHTMAP_ON, DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF, SHADOWS_SCREEN (compiling for flash)

Scripts named 'MouseLook.cs' exist in multiple locations (Assets/Hard Surface Pro/Shared/Scripts/MouseLook.cs). Please rename one of the scripts to a unique name.

Shader warning in 'Hidden/Hardsurface Pro Front Opaque Specular': Program 'frag_surf', Temporary register limit of 8 exceeded; 9 registers needed to compile program at line 39

Keywords: DIRECTIONAL, LIGHTMAP_ON, DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF, SHADOWS_SCREEN (compiling for flash)

And there's many more where that came from...

5. elbows

elbows

There are some issues with 3.5 which I believe the author plans to fix, but for now the most serious game-stopping error you've posted is the one about having two scripts called MouseLook.cs. Another package you have installed is conflicting, but since the mouse look script is just used in some example scenes you can simply delete the MouseLook.cs in Hard Surface Pro/Shared/Scripts as a quick fix.

6. getoffworld

getoffworld

Thanks, elbows. I'll give it a shot.

7. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Yeah, haven't seen any trouble using the shaders here in 3.5.

8. psionic81

psionic81

Hi there,

There's a bug with the demo where upon reloading the scene and entering the painter, it will reset "join x/y" to true, and wipe out the tilingz values.

This is easy to miss in your tests im sure, but it is definitely occurring 100% of the time. Just set up some values, quit and restart unity and it'll be reset.

Is t4m pro going to include changing the heightmap of the terrain?

Thanks,
    Chris.

9. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Is this related to the Hard Surface shaders or another plugin?

10. maart

maart

any idea when this package will be updated to support 3.5??

11. thempus

thempus

There is a problem with the reflection cubemap when I build to IOS devices, all materials shows the reflection upside down. It works all fine on OSX/PC/WebPlayer platforms.

Is there a workaround for that?

Unity3D Version: 3.4.2f3

Edit: I narrowed down the bug, it only happens when I have more than 1 material with different cubemaps. In my scene I have one camera in front of two objects with two different materials using "hardsurface/hardsurface free/opaque" each with a different cubemap and when I build to iOS the reflection is upside down, if I delete one of the objects, it works fine on iPad 2.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  12. bryanleister

bryanleister

Hi,

Great shaders, really like the look I am able to get with these. I have HardSurface Shaders Pro, Unity Pro and I'm trying to simulate a reflection by using a webcamTexture. Basically, I am building a transparent sphere over an eye. I would like the live webcam texture to be wrapped onto the sphere, allowing the iris texture from the sphere underneath to show through.

Basically, I want the person in front of the screen to see themselves reflected in an eyeball.

It works to any diffuse material, but once I try to make the streaming texture transparent, it goes away. I've tried any number of combinations of shaders, taking away the alpha channel from a shader and nothing seems to work. I've even tried multiple cameras, and a plane with the texture mapped to it so the eye reflects the plane in the world scene. The last part works, but only if the plane is visible to the camera at the same time. As soon as I move the plane out of view, or put it on a layer to hide it from the camera, it also hides it from the reflected texture.

Any ideas?

Bryan

13. Whisky_Delta

Whisky_Delta

I would like to begin by stating what a great shader the Hard Shader Pack is. It is really increasing the visual quality our Unity Scenes since we have purchased the pack and I find it fantastic. However, we are having some issues with the shader when it comes to blending real time shadows with the baked lightmap. Normally Unity does a great job of matching the shadow density and light intensity of the scene when passing from just lightmap to real time shadows. However as my screenshot shows (I have set the distance of real time shadows quite short) where the hard surface shader is used the shadow density is far higher than where the normal unity shaders are used when within real time distance, but is also far denser than when the scene just uses the lightmap. What is also strange is that if you remove all lightmaps and just use real time shadows in the scene editor (see second screenshot) the light intensity and shadow density is matched between both the hard surface shaders and the unity normal shaders.

I would greatly appreciate some assistance as soon as you can as we are up against it with this project and we don’t want to revert away from the hard surface shader.

Shot at 2012-05-10

Shot at 2012-05-10

Regards

Whisky

14. Ravikant Sharma

Ravikant Sharma

hi,

this hard surface shader will work in mobile device like android?

sorry for my bad english.

15. imtrobin

imtrobin

Hi I want to report a problem with multiple camera setup. I have a second camera which clears depth only. When I use Hard Surface Pro shader in the scene with any object, the object is not cleared properly.

16. tapiocaflash

tapiocaflash

Can someone please tell me what is the optimum settings if I were to do a car body paint (just like the above)? I know I need to use a cubemap - but what should be the specular color to set in relation to the diffuse color? Also what should be the setting for glossiness and reflection? I couldn't seem to be able to achieve the effect shown above, after some tweaking. Should I consider using normal map or Spec/Gloss/Reflect map to improve on realism? Thank you in advance. Any advice would be appreciated as I am truly a newbie in this....

I have just downloaded the free version of this package (thank you very much Bruno!) and will definitely buy the pro version once I got familiar with its capabilities.

Another thing is I am trying to develop something for the mobile device - anything I could do to improve the performance?

17. tapiocaflash

tapiocaflash

Anyone, please? After numerous tries, I still couldn't achieve the desired car body paint effect. Is it because I must purchase Pro? Even then, I would really like to know the 'right' settings to make a realistic car body paint. Thank you in advance.

18. Curious

Curious

Hey man, I have never tried the free package, so I'm not sure if you can do the above settings in the free one or not, but I've done the above images using the pro package, hope it helps!!!

19. tapiocaflash

tapiocaflash

Hi many thanks. Do you mind taking a screenshot of the inspector pane of the material you've used for this?

20. brn

brn

Hi tapiocaflash,

Pro will give you real-time reflections and refractions but it wont change the overall look of the shader. If you are using free it will give you a good approximation of what is possible. If you are getting odd results feel free to contact me on skype and I can guide you through setting up a material to suite you purpose.

Something that does catch a few people out, is using a shader variant with material properties for a specular map, without assigning a texture to it. I've found that the values supplied to the shader from the missing texture can upset things. Unfortunately that level of control is out of my hands. My suggestion in this sort of situation is to use a variation that doesn't have the texture property which come as part of the package.

When it comes to Mobile shaders this package is not really suited. You can force the shaders to not use multiple passes ect. but its not ideal.

Also thanks Curious for helping Tapiocaflash.

Kind regards
    Bruno

21. imtrobin

imtrobin

bruno, you are alive! Can you look into the multi camera setup issue with Pro shader.

22. brn

brn

Hi Imtrobin
    Np, could you send me a description of the scene as an email? Im just after things like the camera render mode ect. Even better would be a cut down version of the scene/project. We might be able to work out what's going on via Skype if that's more convenient as well.

Kind regards,
    Bruno

23. benswinbanks

benswinbanks

Hi Brn,

I have bought your Pro version of the shaders and am experiencing similar issues as other users here, realtime point shadows being somehow offset on all your shaders as opposed to the stardard unity ones.

Can you please help me find a solution? thanks

Ben

24. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Hello,

How does these perform on Mobile devices? Is Pro any faster then free or standard?

Thanks,

JL

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  25. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Hard Surface Shaders Pro Feature Request
    I'd like to see some numeric readouts next to all the sliders, which would be helpful,
    especially when trying to match settings (and the settings are not zeros/fifties/one hundreds) on two or more HS shaders.
    Like this: http://hometime.net/HS_Pro_slider_readouts.jpg

26. imtrobin

imtrobin

Hi Bruno

PM you the scene a week ago, u got it?

27. benswinbanks

benswinbanks

Hi just to clarify the issue a little further, realtime point lighting is the major issue, where all your shaders wont blend multiple realtime shadows on the same surface correctly. is there a solution/patch for this?

thanks

Ben

28. Vistele

Vistele

Hi Bruno, I have your pro pack, and I would like to add a feature request.

I'm an artist so not sure if it's possible/feasable.

The majority of surfaces in my Unity scenes that are reflective are flat surfaces, which currently don't work properly with HSS.

Could you mod the screen-space reflection system to produce a screen space reflection for flat surfaces?

Excuse the terrible mouse drawing, but I hope this shows what I am after.

The table top reflecting the pixels above 'vertically' even if it is a hack, im talking just about shades of greyscale that line up with the object.

IMO this is the one major feature missing from this pack. Love it for everything curved though.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  29. tapiocaflash

tapiocaflash

Hi Bruno,

I notice there is a strange artifact appearing when using the hard surface shader basic. Please see below some snapshot explaining the problem:

I am just using the HSS basic 'Opaque' shader for the car body, with no reflection cubemap to show clearly the artifacts. For the glass roof, I am using the HSS basic 'Transparent' shader. Attached below another screenshot which uses the Unity built-in 'reflective/specular' shader showing no such artifact:

Here's the screenshot of my setting in the Inspector pane:

Could you help to shed some light?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  30. tapiocaflash

tapiocaflash

Hi Bruno,

Been busy with other things and after some further investigation, I suspect the real problem I have is I didn't have a good 'showroom-ready' cubemap to start with! I've been using some other more complex environmental cubemaps (I created from Unity built-in skymaps) while I think what I really needed was some 'cleaner' cubemap - you know - a few fluorescent tube lights in an otherwise matte environment. I am still trying to learn to how to create these 'showroom' cubemap, I couldn't quite find it off google as well. Maybe some fellow forumers here could be kind enough to send me a few those cubemaps (or simply just give me some tips on how to create those simpler showroom cubemaps) which they used to create those nice-looking glitzy cars?

31. atmuc

atmuc

can i use this shaders with ipad 2?
    is this the only thread for Hard Surface Shaders?

32. brn

brn

Hi atmuc Crazy Robot, I don't recommend using HS shaders on IOS, because they have not been authored with IOS hardware in mind. I've had mixed feedback on if it works for IOS. So I'll just say it doesn't work to be safe. The free shaders might perform tolerably on IOS ( no harm in trying because they are free). PRO shaders that capture the frame buffer will be ridiculously slow, due to the way the IOS hardware works.

Hi tapiocaflash , That issue you are getting is due to the mesh not having any tangents. If you make sure there are UV's on the surface and tangents have been created, the white lines will be removed. I have since found a solution for this issue for the next release ( For variations that don't have a bump map). You will find if you use the unity shaders with specular and bump, it will have the same issues.

Hi Don Grey, No problem getting numeric displays for the sliders. they wont look exactly like what you have requested but will be close.

Hi Ben, Multiple point lights not working properly with HS shaders, is due to them being forward lit shaders, with the option "FullForwardShadows" enabled. It is a unity shader feature. Unfortunately its been broken for sometime and I was hoping with each 3.0+ release that it would be fixed. I've had deferred HS shaders on my PC for a while, but they required some clumsy camera management and broke Ambient Occlusion so I didn't release them. Ive only just worked out a way to fix these issues and will release them as soon as I can. The only bugs with them I cant fix are when one surface refracts another the AO isn't distorted and that AO is drawn after transparent surfaces ( which is how AO worked up until 3.5).

imtrobin, The deferred shaders should sort out the multiple camera issue you are having. I believe the problem is due to the way the depth buffers are created for each type of rendering system. Deferred uses a depth/normal buffer and forward generally only a depth buffer. This creates quite a bit of chaos when you mix the two render types and try to reuse the depth information. With the new system you will be able to stay within the one rendering type. Just as a note, even when your camera is currently set to deferred the HS shaders are still drawing as forward type shaders.

kind regards,
    Bruno

33. atmuc

atmuc

i run free edition's sample scene. 51 draw calls and 159.K tris

iPhone 4 : 4.5 fps
    iPad2 : 30fps
    iMac i7 AMD Radeon HD 6970M with iOS target : 60 fps (Game window statistics says 450 fps)

i used this script;
    http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=FramesPerSecond

34. ducbi

ducbi

Hi Bruno

I have used Hard surface shader for some of my products. I've not satisfied with it's refection. For example:

Reflection must be flip:

Do you think so?

Thanks

35. imtrobin

imtrobin

I'm facing an issue with correct lighting on reflective object. It seems the reflection map does not take into account of lighting when I max out Shininess. I would think the environment map should be calculated with lights.

36. ducbi

ducbi

I think it would be better if you add a alpha channel to diffuse texture that will affect Shininess and Gloss.

37. imtrobin

imtrobin

The effect looks quite different. I'm trying to do really reflective metal, like Terminator.

38. pkamat

pkamat

Hello Bruno,

Does your shaders support lightmaps? I downloaded the free version and am using HardSurface Free Opaque Specular. When i bake lightmaps (single, dual or directional) the object seems to loose both lighting and normals. it appears as though it has only diffuse texture.

thanks

39. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

any update for unity 4?

40. AngusKo

AngusKo

Hi Brn,

I have some problem when i publish hard surface shaders to android systems.
    This is my pad : asus transformer TF101

When i publish my apk file to this pad, some shaders will broken and become purple color, because the pad is tegra2 CPU?
    I had try the same file to another HTC phone : HTC Incredible S CDMA, it works correctly.

Do I need to do anything or publish settings when I publish the apk file to tegra2 CUP?

Attached Files:

41. imtrobin

imtrobin

Hi Bruno, I want to ask, I'm using the reflective shader in a totally dark room, which I have a torch light (think Doom3). In total darkness, the reflective shader is still visible as the reflective does not take account of lighting. Does it make sense to have reflective multiply by scene ambient so it looks correct?

42. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

We are using your free version, Bruno. The opaque specular shader version seems to fall back to diffuse - no cubemap reflection - when building for webplayer. Tested on windows 7 pc only. Any advice?

43. trumanita

trumanita

Hi,
    your free edition doesn't seems to work with DirectX11 in new Unity 4 public beta.
    Will you provide an un update?
    Thanks

44. PLyczkowski

PLyczkowski

Hi, great shaders, but I think you are naming some things wrong - in your shaders "Gloss" corresponds to specular amount, when it should indicate specular hardness, and you call specular hardness "Spec" or "Shininess", when it should be "Gloss". If I'm wrong - sorry.

45. napster

napster

Woww really charming, great work !

46. jujunosuke

jujunosuke

Hey Bruno, excellent work so far.
    I have one question about Hard Surface Free version.

On a simple reflective diffuse object, i use the alpha map of the diffuse texture to set the reflection level. (Like on the Unity reflection shader).

But unfortunately, this does not work. My reflection is still 100 % the same in all areas.
    Is this feature supported ?

Best Regards.

47. Lordinarius

Lordinarius

48. puglessAtWork

puglessAtWork

Hi there,
    I've just purchased and downloaded the pro pack for use with a unity pro license on pc. I am having loads of compile errors on a blank scene (the project was created fresh and a blank scene was launched).

Any help would be greatly appreciated (I have also attached the log).

Thanks,

Andrew M.

Attached Files:

49. Arowx

Arowx

50. flapyfox

flapyfox

Any ideas why the glass shader looks pink on PC (unity3.5) and correct on iOS?
    It's also giving me this message: No subshaders can run on this graohic card (win7 nvidia GTX 480)
    it's aslo telling me that certain shaders do no exist, yet they are there....ex:
    material doesn't have a texture proprety.