Search Unity

Glass,Chrome Reflective material shader assets pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by brn, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Right on the cubemap, what I mean is the actual object what is used in creating the cubemap?
    Also, on the settings, you don't have to use any settings you don't want, but trying all the settings
    may help you run down where the white aritifact is coming from.
    If you've tried turning all the sliders to the far left and it's still there, it could be something in the cubemap reflection.
    Can you post the model or at least the door part?

2. felix_berninger

felix_berninger

... the problem is that we made an agreement to not send any content to others, but i will upload a scene reproducing the problem in a similar environment.

did you take a look at the link i posted?

3. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I have now, at least some of it.
    Nothing there helps?

4. felix_berninger

felix_berninger

tried it all except for the normal fixing. (actually dont know where exactly to put it)

5. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Are you referring to the normal map that is mentioned?
    If so, in the normal map slot (you already have one so maybe it's something else).

6. felix_berninger

felix_berninger

referring to this

7. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Not sure about that, how about just a flat map for specular, wasn't that mentioned?

8. brn

brn

Hi xfelalx

Could you send me a portion of the car as a Unity scene? Even if its just the bottom of the door and the sill.

Once I can reproduce the bug it shouldn't take me long to fix it. Ive got a little window over the next week where I can concentrate on the hard surface shaders again and add some other little updates as well.

Ive had one other client describe the same problem, but unfortunately they were only able to supply a very low rez screen shot.
    If this issue is an optimisation problem as described in your link with the standard way of calculating specular in unity I can look at other techniques and work it into a car shader specific solution.

If any one else has specific requirements for a car shader now is the time to mention them. It might have to be shader model 3 only though.

Cheers
    brn

9. felix_berninger

felix_berninger

ok i sent bruno an email with the scene.

for all others here is a bigger screenshot of the problem that i have with hardsurfacePro/Opaque Speqular (Object in the front)
    and the same Object with Reflective/VertexLit:

10. Dynamike666

Dynamike666

A good "car paint shader" would be great!

On my feature wishlist would be following points...

- Color shift due to view angle
    - Microflakes/Sparkles for detailed cam-views
    - Realtime-Reflections
    - Reflections from a cubemap

Go, go, go! ;)

Michael

11. brn

brn

Hi xfelalx,

Ive had a chance to look at the issue and it looks to be a clamping/wrapping issue with the texture lookup for the grabbed reflection.
    Im investigating the best way to fix it now.

Cheers
    Bruno

12. felix_berninger

felix_berninger

looking forward to a solution and thx for taking care of it so fast.

13. claytoncurmi

claytoncurmi

Are Hard Surface Shaders available for Android?

Thanks

14. felix_berninger

felix_berninger

any news?

15. Curious

Curious

Any special request for a car shader? Well, I hope there's still time for that ;)
    What are your planned features for that buddy? :)

You still need a car model? I can send you the whole car body if you want, just say the word ;)

16. Curious

Curious

+1
    Great features mate :D
    I'd like to add another feature as well, it's about the real-time reflection/cubemapping ;)
    If you'd do the above features, could you please let us set the reflection/cubemap updates intervals on will? (using a slider perhaps!)

Thanks

17. Curious

Curious

Hey mate,
    Still reading this thread? I was just wondering where you are!

Still working on updates or not? :)

Thanks

18. felix_berninger

felix_berninger

sorry to bother, but it would be nice to have an update.

19. megadeth

megadeth

ahm what is the difference between hard surface shader "pro" and " free"?

20. Curious

Curious

@brn,
    Hi there, you know, Unity Technologies are adding HDR rendering support in the upcoming Unity 3.5 update, right? Could you please do some updates to support this as well? (Are you a beta tester or not?)

Tnx brn

21. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

Since the author hasn't replied in a while, I'm open to responses from users as well. Are these shaders any use for those of us working with deferred shading? I found a couple of references to deferred lighting, but nothing concrete. There's a feature about multiple shadows in forward lighting (which kinda sorta implies that everything else works in deferred) but again, nothing very solid. I just don't want to waste time playing around with the effects if I'm going to have to push it all aside because it won't work (or work the same) with deferred lighting.

22. sybixsus2

sybixsus2

I'm not generally one to answer my own questions, but having played around with the free version of this pack, they don't seem to support deferred lighting at all. Once you have more than 8 lights, the rest are ignored.

23. burtonposey

burtonposey

Any chance you'll be posting a demo on the web where we can look at the quality of some of these at our own leisure?

The lack of a more tangible demo to interact with is honestly one of the few reasons why I haven't purchased this for a project I'm currently working on. I see it in the video, but I'd like to be able to take a look at some of the materials from many perspectives so I can get a feel for how close it is to meeting my needs.

Thanks for hearing me out.

24. nayan2147

nayan2147

where i can i download this???

25. elbows

elbows

You have to buy it on the asset store.

I am dismayed that the author has fallen silent on these forums for quite some time now. Hope nothing is wrong.

26. elbows

elbows

Actually when I said you have to buy it, I should have mentioned that there is a free version on the asset store too.

27. CgRobot

CgRobot

Can this work in the free version of Unity or is it Pro only? I would love to use this but I only have the free version of unity.

28. felix_berninger

felix_berninger

Hard Surface Shaders Pro is now on the Asset Store for $50 Click Here for Link -> PRO
    Hard Surface Shaders Standard for $15 Click Here for Link -> BOTH
    Hard Surface Shaders Free Click Here for Link -> BOTH

29. grimmgames

grimmgames

Has anyone tried the free version with multiple point lights casting overlapping shadows in forward mode? No matter what I try, including deferred, only 1 light will properly cast a shadow. I need to know how to fix this before I kick down the 50 for pro.

30. grimmgames

grimmgames

Bump... does anyone have any experience with this package?

31. Orbcreation

Orbcreation

I hope I am not the only one with this problem, but when I use the Hard Surface Pro Transparent Specular shader it all works fine in the editor. Then I publish it to the webplayer and things go wrong.
    The first object that uses the shader is drawn (although not with all the effects on it, I guess drawing stops somewhere along the process. And then every other object that uses the shader is just ignored.

This happens on Mac, but not on Windows. I tested it on several different Macs all have the same problem. It always occurs in Safari and Chrome and recently I also have it in Firefox.
    If I switch the shader back to Hardsurface Transparent Specular (without the Pro stuff) it all works fine again.

Enclosed are 2 images of what it looks like and what it should look like

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  32. Orbcreation

Orbcreation

33. ZowPac

ZowPac

Hi,

I'm using the HardSurface Free Opaque Diffuse shader, and it's working great across a variety of platforms ... except we've been seeing some completely blown out textures on certain iOS devices. Specifically, it's starting to look like the combination of iOS 5 and the SGX543MP2 GPU (iPad2, iPhone4S). I know these aren't recommended for mobile but (so far) we haven't seen a performance impact with the 3GS as the minimum device.

Any help would be appreciated, and we'll certainly upgrade to the Pro version if that'll make a difference. Thanks!

34. brn

brn

Hi ZowPac,

Ive been testing the forward shadows and it appears that a new bug has been introduced with a recent Unity update. The optional Surface Shader parameter "fullforwardshadows" no longer renders multiple shadows in forward lighting as it did. As with the Mac Grabpass bug that Mockingbird has found this can only be solved by a future Unity update. Updating to HSPro will not help you.

I'll enter bug reports for both of these issues to unity.

I do have some unreleased deferred HS free shaders that will fix the shadows issue functionally but not the underlying issue.

Over the next two months I will be able to focus on my unity projects once again and will add some features and updates based on user feedback to the package.

Kind regards,
    Brn

35. kenshin

kenshin

Hi brn,

I have bought PRO version of your package and today I have tested it with Unity3D 3.5 preview...
    may be is only a problem of my PC but when I import your package in the scene I have a lot of shader warnings (some register problem).

Are you aware of this?

Thanks
    Kenshin

36. ZowPac

ZowPac

Thanks for the prompt response - I wonder if we have an old version of Unity sitting around that we can revert to...

I'm definitely interested in this - how can I get my grubby little hands on them?
    Thanks!
    ZowPac

37. grimmgames

grimmgames

Definitely interested as well. Thanks!

38. brn

brn

Hi Kenshin,

Ive just downloaded the 3.5 beta as well. Im looking into it. I notice that some of the default unity shaders are failing the same way.
    I probably wont be able to do much on this until after Christmas/boxing day. And will release the deferred shaders at the same time.

Kind regards,
    Bruno

39. kenshin

kenshin

Hi Bruno,

thanks for your answer, this sounds good for me. :)

Best regards,
    Stefano

40. Curious

Curious

@brn,
    Long time no visit buddy, I guess you're busy with some uber shader project in some AAA game, huh? ;)
    Well, good luck anyway

Hey brn, do you have any plans to upgrade the shaders to adopt with the newly introduced HDR features while working on Deferred ones?

I'm still waiting for a perfect car paint shader Mr.Santa, I mean brn ;) :]

Regards

41. garyhaus

garyhaus

on 3.5B6 OSX shader registry errors. Hope you can fix soon. Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  42. brn

brn

How important is shader model 2 support for your projects?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm guessing there is a fair bit more back end work being done by the standard unity shader system now to support HDR and gamma correct lighting models. For those of you that have switched to 3.5beta you will have noticed that some of the HS shaders are compiling with warnings due to Temp Registor usage.

What seems to be happening is that more of the shader's resource is being used by the backend and if I am to remain compatible with it, I might have to be shader model 3 only. I will only do this if I cant find another solution. Im hoping that when the full release comes, I might be able to selectively disable some of the new 3.5 functionality for shader model 2.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Brn

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  43. kinetiknz

kinetiknz

Hey Brn,
    I have bought your shader pack and use it regularly. The only thing I find lacking is a shader for flat reflections.
    It seems as though you could create your own take on this, maybe creating a fast flat reflection system. The current reflection I use for mirrors is a dog, and reflection maps are a bit arse.
    A flat reflection slider on your shader would be ace A++

My 2 cents

Any bites?

44. Curious

Curious

Well, I guess you promoted the best solution your self (so far)
    So, I guess we better be waiting for other users opinion, if not, it is you who decides on behalf of everyone

Phew, responsibility ;)
    Good luck with it man :D

45. grimmgames

grimmgames

Would that be for all 3 versions of the HS shaders or just pro? Assuming that only pro needs SM3 or better, is it possible to have them automatically fall back to standard/free for SM2 if need be?

46. brn

brn

I've attached a webplayer and a screen shot of my test bed for the deferred HS shaders. WebPlayer

The scene has 5 lights in total;

2 dynamic point lights
    1 static point light
    2 static directional lights

The scene uses baked dual light maps for the static lights. Quality settings are Unitys default beautiful.
    Image effects used are Bloom,Vignette and Depth blur.

The grabpass for the realtime reflection is now using the 3.4 grabpass features, depending on your hardware you may see a significant speed increase with this method.

Other tweaks include

Revised blending between reflection pass and base pass. ( Still working on this, uses the frame buffers alpha channel to pass extra information to the reflection pass about the specular hi lights. Its a little unorthodox and may not be worth the slight overhead ).

Reduced reflection noise on edges.

Issues yet to be resolved

Shader model 2 support with 3.5beta (On hold. With the limited information that comes with 3.5 beta its hard to predict what the best solution will/could be.)

Multiple point light shadows in forward lighting issue ( The deferred solution almost negates this, Hopefully The unity guys get a chance to fix it for 3.5)

Thanks for your patience.

Kind regards,
    Bruno

47. elbows

elbows

Thanks very much for the update info demo, I am looking forward to this very much :)

Will you release an update of the stuff you have managed to achieve even if the unresolved issues remain? Sorry for my impatience, the demo made me excited!

48. kenshin

kenshin

Really a nice result, I am interested to work on this soon :)

49. seventyfive

seventyfive

hey there,

nice shader pack, thank you a lot, saved a lot of time and helped learning some more things about the shader universe :)

though we are experiencing on some graphic cards errors like not rendering GUI elements etc.
    replacing some of the shaders with e.g. plain diffuse ones renders everything like a charm. on better cards no problems.

i guess the fallback shaders are not working or detected somehow, therefore i was thinking of a controller to vary the used shaders depending on the capabilities. maybe you could integrate something like that, too, in the future.

cheers,
    marco

50. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Nice demo!