Search Unity

Glass,Chrome Reflective material shader assets pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by brn, Feb 14, 2011.

1. outtoplay

outtoplay

Really looking forward to the mobile shaders... I'd certainly beta for you if it would help, but I'm the 'artsy' one of our team, not the codin' brains. But if I can be of any help, I'm up to do my best.

cheers,
    B.

2. glnhrrs

glnhrrs

I have put together a couple of shots of my tank I made with the Hard Surface Shader Free pack .
    I went right ahead and bought the Pro pack yesterday as this was an obvious choice for our project.
    I will be releasing this model up on Unity Asset store asap.
    The screenshots were made with the free shader and this will be included in the asset pack.

The maker of the Hard Surface shader took the time to help me including a free cutout shader for the alpha on the tracks and wheels.
    Very sweet shader and enjoying the Pro pack.

Cheers
    Glennn

These shots are using the HardSurface Pro Shader
    $Tank 2.jpg $Tank_01.jpg

These shots are using the HardSurface FREE Shader included with the asset.
    $shot1.png $shot3.png $shot2.png

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  3. Curious

Curious

Hi there,
    Just as promised, here are a few screen-shots of my BMW X6 rendered in Unity Pro 3.3 using Hard Surface Shaders Pro

$01_X6.jpg $03_X6.jpg $X6_Rear.jpg
    $02_X6.jpg

P.S: The lens-flare in the 2nd image was done in PS because I was too lazy to do it in Unity... :D

Thank you very much for this great package...

4. Fishypants

Fishypants

Subscribing to thread. Can't wait for the depth checking! :D

5. brn

brn

@ Curious, I'll put the mobile Shaders in the Pro Pack as a thank you to the people who have all ready purchased Pro

@brendang, The Mobile version so far is going well, Ill post up some screen shots very soon. Everything is fitting into SM2 nicely. SM1 is going to be a real challenge.

@Fishypants, Ive got the basics of depth checking working, Its a big hit performance wise though, I'm not sure how practical its going to be.

@glnhrrs, Those pro captures look great, I wouldn't have thought that there would be much difference between free and pro on the tank. The Unity Pro shadows and image effects make a difference though. Hope its sells like hot cakes for you.

@curious, The X6 has turned out really well, If you are using Pro to do the windows there are a few things that can be commented out of the Shaders to give you a performance boost. In your situation for the windows, you can probably comment out the back face pass and all the Z priming and Refraction passes as well. You probably wont even spot the difference visually. Great to see the shaders working with super tidy geometry, not an easy job modeling cars, Nice!

6. brn

brn

Just Submitted Version 1.14 Pro, Standard and Free I'll submit tomorrow.
    Mostly fixes and Improvements

Important Release Note!!!

Freznel Reflection values have been changed for a slight optimization and to free up an instruction for the SM2 fallback shaders. Old values will result in white surfaces. To fix this run the Editor Script "Hardsurface>Set Fresnel Reflection Value" with the root folder for all your materials selected (root asset folder of your project) and the script will automaticly re calibarte your HardSurface materials.

Fixes:
    Fixed Lighting function for SM3 SM2 (was artifacting with out of range colors)
    Fixed shadow casting issue for combined meshes in SM3
    Fixed Spec/Gloss/Reflection map not influencing reflections in SM2

Optimizations:
    Modified code here and there to help compiler make better descisions,
    Fresnel reflection (saved one multiply) this means older fresnel values are no longer valid

Additions:
    Editor Script to recalibrate fresnel material settings to new shader version
    SFX shader that writes to the depth buffer only to fix depth post effect issues.

7. Curious

Curious

That is very cool, thank you very much :D

Thanks again, yeah, I have some other things in my mind too ;)
    I have to change a few things here and there :)
    And thanks for the tip about the glass shader

I wonder how to export and import the package through out different projects! How can I export my model as a package and re-import it in my projects with the proper shaders?

8. Don Goddard

Don Goddard

I can definitely test if you'd like.

I have Unity 3.3 for Android and iOS as well as Mac/PC and the web. Devices, I have a Nexus One for Android and a iPhone 3G, iPod Touch (3rd gen?), iPhone 4 and Mac for iOS. I have various PC's in many configurations.

9. reddotgames

reddotgames

I just start playing with my Pro Package but WOW effect are amazing.

$11.jpg View attachment 21803

Shaders are quite fast and looks beautifully on our game cars :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  10. increpare

increpare

Would like to say that these are really great - thanks! :)

11. ADHD

ADHD

Bought it twice....

After the first purchase on the asset store (Using paypal), been waiting for around 4 hours, now purchased it again and it stills says 'Waiting for Purchase' :(

I hope this gets solved VERY soon, as I can't wait to test the Pro edition out!

12. brn

brn

Hi ADHD,

This is very unusual, there could be a temporary fault with the Asset Store. Firstly theres no reason for you to have to purchase it twice. If your account has been billed twice I'll ask the asset store, on your behalf for you to be refunded. In the mean time Ive sent you my contact details in a private message, and we can see if we can work out something more imediate.

Kind regards
    Brn

13. ADHD

ADHD

Thanks BRN for the great support.

We'll sort the rest out soon. :)

14. ADHD

ADHD

Thanks BRN for the great support.

First of all, these shaders are top notch, awesome, and as I've showed you on skype, they do fit my project pretty well.
    Keep going, you really should continue!

We'll sort the rest out soon. :)

15. outtoplay

outtoplay

Any update on the mobile shaders? Curious how it's going.

16. brn

brn

@reddotgames increpare, Thanks for the comments I really appreciate the positive feedback :)

@ADHD , Glad to have been able to help, thanks for buying the shaders!

@brendang , Ive completed a basic set of optimized SM2 versions, which I'll add to pro this weekend, But before I officially say I support mobile shaders I'll like to have an attempt to do it in a single pass. The good news is that the Current WIP mobile shaders are very close in quality to the PC/Mac versions.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  17. outtoplay

outtoplay

Awesome. very much looking forward to checking `em out. Funny, another case where I"m a mobile only guy and as with Unity itself, owning the desktop version is only a means to get to my platform of choice.

B.

18. Curious

Curious

Great news, thanks brn, I can't wait to try them on my iPad ;)

19. lucian3011

lucian3011

These shaders look great, except for the artifacts I'm seeing: little white dots appear on all of my sphere objects.

These are the built-in spheres, and I see the problem with all of the Hard Surface Shaders and settings I have tried.

$dots.png
    ( You will need to click on the image and view full size to see the artifacts. )

HardSurface Shaders Free; Unity Free 3.3.0f4; Macbook Pro 13" with Intel HD Graphics 3000

20. lucian3011

lucian3011

Here's a better shot of the cursed thing.

$dot.png

21. brn

brn

Im looking into the dot artifact now lucian3011, should be fixed shortly

22. brn

brn

Hi lucian3011,

The crazy dot artifact that you are seeing is specific to the standard unity Sphere. I tested the Unity sphere with the standard Unity per pixel specular shaders and it does the same thing.

I also tested the shaders on a custom mesh sphere and for both my shaders the unity ones and the artifact is no longer visible.

After experimenting some more, I noticed that the Specular error appears where rough UV seams are created in the mesh. Or where UV's have been collapsed/Welded in a messy way. Which is why it happens on the poles of the standard Unity Sphere topology.

I found a sphere generated in max with the standard max sphere Uv's worked perfectly.

When exporting an FBX for Unity, make sure your mesh in max has a material assigned to it with a diffuse texture. Because certain FBX versions wont export UV's if no materials with textures can be found and you will get strange lighting artifacts again.

I hope this helps
    Kind regards

Brn

23. lucian3011

lucian3011

Awesome, brn. Thanks for looking into it. I really appreciate it.

I'll be sure to upgrade to the pro shader package.

24. nukeD

nukeD

hi brn, thanks for the awesome shader pack... it has the features i needed for my little car models (nothing fancy... mostly 'opaque specular').
    i was so happy with the free version that i purchased pro for win7... and the shaders don't work anymore, unity gives me an error that my video card is not supported ( mobility Radeon HD5650 )... i also have an oldschool Nvidia GeForce 9800 on my desktop, which is disassembled now and i don't have any idea if it would work on it.
    The bad thing is that the shaders that worked on the free version don't work now... like the 'opaque specular'.
    What am i doing wrong? is there a fix or a workaround?

thanks in advance

edit: i went back to using the free shaders and they work on this video card :p

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  25. brn

brn

Hi clandestine,

Ive sent you some contact details so we can work out whats happening.
    In the mean time these are the most common reasons for the shaders not working.

1) That multiple instances of a shader are in the one project.

To solve this delete all Hardsurface shader folders files from your project then re import the package excluding any files in this folder "Hard Surface Pro\Assets\Hard Surface Pro\Standard Assets". The Image effect files in that folder can conflict with ones already existing in your project. ( These image effect files aren't used by the Hardsurface Shaders, they are just there for the example/test scenes )

2) Unity Pro license has reverted to Unity Standard/Indie
    The Hardsurface shaders rely on some Pro functionality and without it they wont compile.

Feel free to contact me and Im sure we can work it out quickly.

Kind Regards,
    Bruno

26. nukeD

nukeD

Thanks a lot for the reply!
    Advice #1 fixed the problem... deleted the folders and re-imported.

thanks a lot!!!! :D

27. kinetiknz

kinetiknz

Hi Brn, I bought and started incorporating your shaders into my Arch vis project today, what a difference it makes!
    I am lightmapping everything, so I have no specular. Your shaders adding reflections helps alot, though when the shaders are occupying a large part of the screen the FPS plumet, from around 350FPS to around 30.

I am wondering if there are any performance variables that I can tweak?

Thanks!

28. Dreamora

Dreamora

Don't use reflections or at least use a lod system that tweaks the shader lod by distance. Realtime reflections are extreme impact wise, each of those objects means additional scene renders through a reflection cam

29. kinetiknz

kinetiknz

I have to have reflections as Unity doesn't allow spec on baked objects. The scene looks flat without it. I will look into the LOD idea.
    Thanks

30. brn

brn

Hi kinetiknz,

I'm just finishing some work for another client, so it might be a few days before I can release some deferred shaders I have made that work like the Hard surface Free shaders set. With these you can do light mapping and have specular as well if you use the Dual light maps option.

Its possible to get screen spaced reflections on these as well, but its not a great work flow.
    With the hard surface shaders it is possible to do all opaque reflective surfaces with only one grab pass which will speed up your scene dramatically. If you don't need refraction then you can get away with one grab pass for the entire scene. which is faster again.

If you send me a private message i can explain how to do it. Its not something I openly support because it requires some scene management on your part, but its very easy to do.

Kind regards,
    Bruno

31. krivel

krivel

Does the latest version in the store work with the iPad2?

32. brn

brn

Hi Krivel, To be safe I recommend you don't use this shader pack on mobile platforms. Even with the shader model 2 fall back I'd say they wouldn't be practical to use.

Kind regards,
    Brn

33. krivel

krivel

Ok thanks. What would you recommend as a good reflective/specular/bump for mobile? Any other available shaders out there. Having issues with the standard ones.

34. Lord-Simpson

Lord-Simpson

Hi just wondering are there any self illuminated versions of the shaders [Ive only got the free pack at the moment and unity free FYI] as I have a metal texture that's supposed to have lights on it.

The metal looks much better with your shaders than the built-in self-illuminated versions but cant seam to find a way to make the lights work with yours. If not [as long as its not too off topic] is there any easy workaround to add the self illuminated bits to a surface?

35. brn

brn

Hi Lord Simpson,

Adding self illumination is a very simple task to the shaders.

Ive got a whole bunch of updates that I'm trying to get around to releasing once Ive finished a few contract jobs. I'll make sure that I put a self illuminated version of the shader in for you.

It might have to be a Shader model 3 only feature though because I've pretty much run out of instructions in shader model 2.
    Let me know which shader combination its needed for and if I get the chance i'll just post it up here before the full update release.

Cheers,
    Brn

36. Ullukai

Ullukai

I tried out your free hard surface shader package and was amazed ! What is the license for the free package ? Can we use it in a commercial game ? I cant find the answer anywhere for this question. Thanks again for your awesomeness :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  37. brn

brn

Hi Ullukai,

Glad to here you are liking the free shaders. The only restriction I place on the shaders is repackaging them for resale as a "Shader Package".
    Short of that you can use them however you like. Even as shaders for an Item you are selling on the asset store. Eg Knights armour. If you give them a free plug here and there it would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    Brn

38. Curious

Curious

Hi brn,
    Any news on the mobile shader progress?

Could you please take a look at http://www.moonbytegames.com/visualization/
    This is a great example of Fake-HDR implementation... A car body paint counts as a hard surface, right? ;)

I'm asking you if you could add a similar effect to your package... That would be wonderful if you could :)
    I think it is an IBL shader

39. kiu

kiu

I just bought your package and it's really great.

However, I'd be very interested in the mobile shaders, too. Just got a augmented Reality Car Project on hand and some reflection would be really great right there. Do you still need any beta testers? I'm working mainly on iOs.

40. Optician

Optician

I'm also interested in the Mobile shaders, and can help testing if needed? Do you have any idea of a timeline? Would be willing to pay again for them, but is very cool if you just add them to the pro pack.

Thanks,

Chris

41. MrBurns

MrBurns

Hi there,

from what I can tell right now (only through videos and screens) this package looks quite awesome... But having not seen anything like this (not even close) in any recent AAA title, I wonder a bit how is the performance? Is this package useful for realtime game development and if, how much performance could one expect for a wider range of customers? For example if I build some character details right in front of the camera with them, they would probably cause no performance hit on recent systems, but what is if I want to use them for larger surfaces or many objects. I'd really like to know something more about that before I purchase them ;)?!

thanks!
    Burns

42. kinetiknz

kinetiknz

Hey, I have been using this pack on my current project and definitely notice a large drop in FPS when using many shaders that occupy say 1/4 of the screen while rendering in 'forward' (with no realtime lights). It may just be a fact of life though, it is a costly thing to render and it does look really good, and it's easy to use. It's a matter of finding a balance, and surely it's cheaper to buy this pack than spend your time creating the same thing.
    my 2 cents!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  43. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  44. MrBurns

MrBurns

What graphic card do you use for this ;)? It is still hard to tell... Isn't there something like a sample Pro shader for performance testing ^^?

45. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Using a GForce 580, don't know about a testing shader.

46. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Wow, I am really embarrassed!
    I was just doing some work on the scene (haven't opened it in a couple of months) and found I did NOT use the
    Hard Surface Shaders on most of what is seen in the video I posted above, but at the time I last textured
    the scene was using Nikko/Bumped Diffuse Detail material type I bought at the Asset Store before the HS Shaders came out.
    Very sorry for the misinformation!!!

47. MrBurns

MrBurns

Well with a GTX 580 you couldn't provide useful fps infos anyway ;).

But I rather suspect that these shaders are not really suitable for use in FPS games right now. They just look to expensive, just like Maya renderings sometimes... If they would be suitable we had probably seen them in Crysis 2 ;) but they are still far away from the quality of Hard Surface Shaders... But probably only because they want to support consoles...

48. felix_berninger

felix_berninger

Hi.

We bought the Pro Package of your shader. We are working on a Car racing game and we are experiencing some troubles with the white Pixel artifacts:
    Here with the builtin bumbed vertexLit (the one we used before we decided to get hard surcae pro) :

Here the same object with hard surcase shader pro opaque specular:

We tried different settings in the inspector but the artifacts remained the same:

Can someone please help us?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  49. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I'd say cut back on the shininess, but in the picture, I see you have.
    Maybe cut back some on the gloss and you could also try cutting back the Fresnel Reflection.
    Are you using the actual object with the cube map rendered or something else?
    If you move the door away from the rest of the model does the white artifact still show?

50. felix_berninger

felix_berninger

we are using a cubemap for reflection. Our graphicer says that changing the settings you mentioned would make our carpaint lose the realistic feeling.

and besides we tried and it didnt make any difference (same with moving the car door).

thx for the help.

could be the same problem as this?
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/82887-Fireflies-Anti-Aliasing

as you see the problem with the vertexlit shader is not as huge as with the hardsurface (my first post).

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011