Search Unity

giving up Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by GuilhermeZikan, Aug 9, 2019.

1. GuilhermeZikan

GuilhermeZikan

Hello guys, I'm giving up on Unity because I'm a week looking for the solution to my problem and I can't find it. I have tried several solutions, but the problem remains. Visual Studio takes a long time to compile even very small projects. Each change generates a wait of 15 to 30 seconds, which is very annoying and discouraging. I've been using Unity for 5 years and it's only now on Windows 10 that this crap happens. I'm thinking of switching to another engine just because of this problem that I don't find a solution. Can someone help me?

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I'm having the same issue, Unity Editor is very unrepsonsive on my hardware. I've submitted various bug-reports and feedback items regarding this issue. You can find my reports at this link:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/peter77s-feedback-item-collection.695950/

As far as I understand various comments in different forum posts from Unity staff, they're looking into editor performance issues for 2019.3 or perhaps 2020.1, I don't remember. I trust Unity Technologies that they're going to make the editor responsive and fun to work with again. It's just not tomorrow.

BTW, I've also looked at other engines, Unreal specifically. But the Unreal editor is even slower than Unity, so not an option for me. Perhaps you've more luck.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

What are the hardware specs of your computer?

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Mine? You can find the specs at the bottom of this post:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/performance-overview.637783/#post-4298446

I'm aware that it's an old computer, but Unity 4.6 ran totally fine and was super fun to work with. That's why I reported various 2019.3 vs 4.6 comparisons, hoping they make new Unity versions as fast as 4.6 again.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Sorry, I was referring to the OP's hardware. I was wondering if he/she is encountering performance problems with current hardware, or somewhat outdated hardware, or if the hardware wasn't ideal for Unity.

For example you could have a current laptop, but with only 2 cores and a spinning HDD, which even though bought recently you will see performance issues in Unity. Thin or budget laptops are often still configured in this manner.

I was also wondering what changes he/she was referring to when getting that 15-30 second wait. If this was just moving a scene object, then that is probably caused by light baking set to auto-generate. Disable that in the lighting settings and just manually bake when you're ready. I think everyone actually should make that change even on higher end gear (though the problem is much worse on low core count hardware). That's the first thing I do whenever I start a new project or create a new scene. Super annoying that it is the default setting, but I understand it is so light baking "just works" for people who haven't yet done any research on the topic.

Peter77 likes this.
  6. GuilhermeZikan

GuilhermeZikan

Thanks for the replies Peter and Joe. I believe it is not my computer, because I run other heavy programs and have no problems. I have an Intel I5 with 8 GB of ram. I think it's a problem with Windows 10, since I've always run Unity without problems.

Going a little further, I think it's a problem with Visual Studio Community 2017. Maybe.

Anyway thank you!

PS. Sorry about my poor english. I'm from Brazil. Google helps! ;)

7. skeptic_always

skeptic_always

Not trying to chase you off, but I REALLY like Godot. It feels far less bloated, apps are written in a language based on python, and the script editor is built in. The way apps/games are organized is a bit more intuitive. It's also completely free and open source including their version of the asset store. However, it is not as mature as Unity with not as many bells and whistles. The reason I switched back to Unity (I started with Unity, moved to Godot, now back to Unity), is because of some limitations on target exports. Exporting to iOS is problematic as is Android TV.

If I were targeting Windows/Linux/OS X/Android only I would almost certainly stick with Godot. However, since I'm targeting Android/Android TV/iOS I'm going with Unity for now.

I'm doing my dev work on a 2013 iMac (thanks Apple for forcing me to buy an over priced under performing mac if I want to do anything for iOS). Godot is noticeably quicker and easier to work with.

8. chrisk

chrisk

Hi, @Peter77, In what way? The compile-time or UI responsiveness? I find that Unity UI responsiveness is unbearable to a joke.
    Where did you read about Unity's plan for the Editor performance overhaul? That's big news for me. I'll really appreciate if you can share the forum link when you find it.
    Thanks.

9. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Definitely UI responsiveness. I don't recall compile-time anymore, it's been a while since I tested Unreal.

There must be some forum posts, but I don't have the links. I'm pretty sure I read this in the forum. They started optimization in 2019.3 to improve text serialization as well as domain reload / enter play mode.

Last year they also talked about "performance by default", I believe during Unite Keynote. Their goal isn't only to optimize Player performance, but also Editor performance as a whole, if I understood this correctly.

10. chrisk

chrisk

I don't experience much delays in UI responsiveness (clicking on inspectors and stuff) and UE enter-to-play is always instant no matter how big your project is. Anyway, it's out of my choice since I'm stuck on Unity for the current project.

I'm aware of the "text serialization" and "enter to play mode" without domain reloading but I never heard about their plan for the editor performance overhaul. Those two are just incidental efforts but it won't be enough. In my opinion, we have to completely move to UIElement but the problem is that lots of Assets out there based on IMGUI and it will take a while before UIElement to mature and Asset developers to adopt it. The worst part is that mixing UIElement and IMGUI will make thing even slower. This is part of the reason why the lastest Editor is slower than before. I think we all have to suffer through for a while and I'll have to release my game before I get the benefit. It's so depressing. Unity is just a S*** bomb sitting on your head waiting to explode. It's just not suitable for a large scale project.

I believe The Performance by Default they are talking about referring to DOTS only.

11. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

In the first 3 minutes he is talking about their 500 ms goal:
    Here is another video, starting at 17min:

12. GuilhermeZikan

GuilhermeZikan

Hello guys! I found this page considering using VS 2015 or 2017 15.5. I'm with the 2017 15.9.14. I'm going to test the 2015 version and then I'll come back here with the results.

13. GuilhermeZikan

GuilhermeZikan

I tried the 2015, 2017 and 2019 versions of Visual Studio and Monodevelop. They all have the same problem: After saving a change to a script, unity takes 12-15 seconds to respond.

By the way the problem is not with Visual Studio.

14. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

You should be able to find out what specifically is taking so long by using Unity's Profiler with "Profile Editor" and perhaps "Deep Profile" options:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ProfilerCPU.html

There are different things that happen when you change a script and then switch back to Unity. Such as:
    • Scan project for changed files
    • Compile scripts
    • Reload assemblies
    The profiler should hopefully give insight what of this, or perhaps something different, is slow.

15. TurboNuke

TurboNuke

Check that your anti virus / malware software isn't monitoring your source folders. This can have a large effect on your responsiveness.

16. GuilhermeZikan

GuilhermeZikan

I tried to use the profiler, but couldn't understand much. There is a lot of information. But that's a good idea, Peter. I will invest more time in the profiler and try to understand what is going on.

I tried this too, but I will try again in more depth.

Thank you guys. Any news I'll be back here.