Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Giving away my assets?

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by A_World_Maker, Feb 9, 2019.

1. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

When I invite someone (potentially a stranger) to use collaboration on a project. Then later I want to remove them from the team access on that project, what happens to all their locally stored assets that do not belong to them?

As they are Unity assets configured, there is nothing stopping them from either using our assets in their own projects, or even sell them to others. There is no way of tracing assets, so do we simply have to rely on their integrity?

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Enclose relevant clause in the contract.
    You can grant the licence.

But you can say same, on any person who purchase the asset, that they can resell it.
    You are familiar with term Asset Flip?

3. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

No, this is my first time collaborating in this manner.

However, lesson learnt, now I have changed everything, how and where I collaborate and under what conditions.

The collaboration system can work to my advantage. I have backups of all my work, so I deleted all the project assets, the next time the ex-teammate tries to update the project, it will delete the folders from their local storage as part of the synchronization of the assets.

Assuming they do not have backups of their own, I can call this a lesson learnt.

4. T5Shared

T5Shared

If the ex-teammate can update the project (and the update deletes the assets), then he or she can also restore an older version of the project that still contains the assets. I think.

5. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Not if they are removed from the team, after the delete.

Of course this only works, if the teammate doesn't do local backups.

However this is all moot now. I only use collaborative sandboxes. This works because all the assets I need, i.e. scripts, are portable. I am not so sure this is useful if your teammate is perhaps the scene creator.

6. zereda-games

zereda-games

good to know! wouldn't have even't occurred to me until i read this. I myself am all about Integrity, other's well you know how that is. I am looking to collaborate and other's insight is valuable. thanks for this post.