Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Give Unity Employees a new forum account

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by Cameron_SM, May 17, 2017.

1. Cameron_SM

Cameron_SM

I love that Unity often recruit from within their own passionate community but I see some issues with adding a "Unity Technologies" badge to community members who become employees. This can add a lot of weight to their posts which is good because Unity wouldn't have hired them if they didn't know their stuff - but to mark all of their old posts with the same badge?

Take for example this thread, which makes it seem as if Unity's own staff have no clue how to use their own product:

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/achieving-a-multi-pass-effect-with-a-surface-shader.96393/

This isn't too bad because the mistake is corrected in the following reply and I happen to know the poster did not work for Unity when they made those posts, but now I'm questioning every post that I see from someone with that badge. I have to think "was this Unity's official response to an issue or was this a reply by someone who was then hired by Unity" or... argh...

The confusion just seems really unnecessary and avoidable.

Simply give employees a new forum account to post with and don't badge existing community accounts.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I don't think that's possible. Some members choose to have a new Unity account and some choose to transfer their old accounts. It's their choice and I don't think we have a right to be dictating to them.

Why would we want to hide being human and pretend to be perfect? Daniel is one of the smartest people I've ever had the pleasure to read of. If memory serves he used to work for the guys who made probably, the GPU in your phone :)

And, it's human to err.