Search Unity

Give last webplayer in 4.6x more freedom and security options please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DNArt, May 20, 2014.

1. DNArt

DNArt

Hi all just a thought.

If i understand things correctly Webplayer support will be fading slowly in support of HTML5.
    Since a lot of people in the community have invested into the player.
    I wonder if it might be possible as a homage to the Webplayer and as a gesture to the community to give us the option to compile a less secure but more powerful version? and in 4.65? maybe :)

2. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

No, none of what you posted makes sense. The web player is secure because people would use it for malicious software otherwise, Unity isn't going to make their webplayer the #1 web virus platform. And AFAIK nothings been said about phasing out the Webplayer yet.

3. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

Releasing a less secure webplayer will not happen. Ever.

We are also not phasing out the webplayer anytime soon. All the browser vendors want to get rid of plugins and we have to deal with that reality but the webplayer is still very popular and widely used.

4. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

And 5.x will have the web player, just like 4.x and 3.x and 2.x before. It's not going away. We'll add WebGL as an extra export platform.

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

But with browsers now supporting auto-update as a default option, how long is this going to persist? Especially when the webplayer is one of the easiest ways to reach beginner users? I'm not saying I agree with the OP, but this is a pretty huge concern.

6. 3agle

3agle

By the time NPAPI is completely gone, WebGL will be the new standard, and Unity seems to have it covered.

Sure, it's going to mean a change for those who have customers/clients running on web players, but this simply means they will require an updated version of their program to use WebGL.

There isn't really anything majorly concerning other than the current poor performance of WebGL (which will change), and the fact that this export is an additional $1500...

7. Murgilod

Murgilod

The $1500 thing is a huge factor, especially considering how Unity upgrade tiers have worked in the past. That's $1500, but will it be like mobile where you need to own a Pro license to even use it? Because that'll double it to $3000. This all means that deploying to web with Unity without an initial investment is a big problem.

Not only that, but the Chrome roadmap has NPAPI being removed completely by the end of 2014. 7 months isn't exactly a lot of time, especially considering how Chrome currently seems to have the lion's share of the market.

8. lazygunn

lazygunn

As I remarked in another thread, I wonder how integrated the WebGL platform will be with the rest of the HTML5 spec. I wonder if you could have a rendering game only version for the non-payers, and a HTML5 extravaganza for the pros

A less secure webplayer is absolute madness, just wat

9. DNArt

DNArt

Hi Tyler

Was indeed more interested in what I could use it for and not what others might do :)
    The webplayer is great for sharing/showing stuff during production with our partners.
    Just limited as it is now by its nature of being secure.
    Would love to have stuff like Coherent UI be able to integrate.
    It would make a production line more coherent.
    Will have to wait for U5 and WebGL i guess.

10. Dabeh

Dabeh

I'd like to actually access the file system on the computer, even having it ask: "Do you give ... permission to access your filesystem?", but I'm holding out hope for WebGL making this a reality.

11. DNArt

DNArt

Hi Schubkraft, Graham

Got you loud and clear things will remain like they are within 5 to.

Then if WebGl matures thats our new road with more options to integrate with other web stuff like css, webRTC in world html right?

12. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

That's what we expect, yes. (Obviously the world can change. Our adoption of NaCl and Flash didn't prove a success.)

13. Woodlauncher

Woodlauncher

Internet Explorer doesn't since Microsoft ties updates to their newest operating system.

14. Murgilod

Murgilod

Firefox and Chrome both do and they make up a massive chunk of the browser marketshare. Also, IE gets updates through Windows Update, but is partially dependent on the latest major point release of Windows, of which Windows 8 actually makes up a sizable percentage. On top of that, one of the versions of IE on Windows 8 doesn't support plugins at all.

15. DNArt

DNArt

Hi Graham thanks for confirming, sorry to hear those didn't workout, but i like to belief your save on this one. Cant wait to get my hands on the WebGL version to have a go. ( providing i can reserve the funds as our projects are more explorational then commercial in nature )