Search Unity

Feedback Give an option NOT to create a desktop shortcut on Windows

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by rob8861, Apr 30, 2019.

1. rob8861

rob8861

With the Hub becoming the new launcher of Unity and the go to app for managing all your projects, editor version etc, I see no reason in creating shortcuts anymore. Please give the option to not create them when installing new versions. I also heard that in 2.0 they will force the hub to open anyway so what;s the point of even creating them on my desktop.

Thanks,

JanSelchow and mevanecek like this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

I've asked for this before the Hub was created, apparently nobody listens.

3. rob8861

rob8861

@APSchmidt if they don't listen to our feedback then why even have this forum?
    the desktop shortcut is COMPLETELY useless now because if you double click on it, it opens the Hub.

bugfinders and Rowlan like this.
  4. They listen and they evaluate all the feedbacks and they choose which ones are good for the majority of the cases and the majority of the user base. This take a lot of time and resources. Do not forget, Unity used by millions of users on millions of projects and in vastly different use-cases and scenarios. They cannot just take every single developer's opinion at face value and blindly develop it on the next day...

AbrahamDUnity likes this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't think adding a box to tick or untick in the installers saying "Create a shortcut on the desktop" would be that much of a problem and everybody would be happy; the ones who want that shortcut and the others.

6. - Software development does not work like "we just add this tick here and we're done", maybe a lone dev can work like that, but serious team working on serious application isn't like that
    - This is a p5 (maybe p4) priority at best, they will put the tick box, the functionality and all the necessary tests in the system when they run out of all the p0, p1, p2, p3 bugs and improvements. (easily fixed by end user, no influence on the usability of the software, purely convenience)

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah, if I follow you, it will never happen.

8. Rowlan

Rowlan

Can this please be implemented? There doesn't even need to be an option whether a shortcut should be created or not. A shortcut on the desktop doesn't make any sense at all anymore. Just remove the code :)

9. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

I will do my best to lobby for this. Perhaps this can happen sooner than expected ;)

Best,

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

At last! :D Never too late I guess. :)

11. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

As a user who has many Unity installs across 3 working machines, I hate having to keep clearing the desktop up, please keep pushing for this!

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

A year later, I doubt this will be implemented. Fortunately, having migrated to Linux, I no longer have this problem. :p

ROBYER1 likes this.
  13. Querke

Querke

After deleting 13 unity icons from my desktop.... yes we def need this

shysnake and ROBYER1 like this.
  14. jd3

jd3

I hope it will come to true soon. Recently I update my Unity Editor version frequently because I'm looking forward to performance improvement without an idea that in which version it will happen. Meanwhile deleting the shortcuts becomes fairly annoying.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  15. agraris

agraris

Hey guys, I have a solution for you.
    Just click the icon and press DEL on your keyboard. Just repeat for once a week if you follow the tech stream and once two weeks if LTS. Thats it.

16. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

Hey folks!
    Thank you for your feedback! I'll raise it with the team ;)

ROBYER1 likes this.
  17. Vedamir

Vedamir

Hey, it's yr. 2022
    The new World War has started already, but useless shortcuts spam for every Unity editor version are still with us o_O

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    miquelfire and ROBYER1 like this.
  18. RevvisLtd

RevvisLtd

2023 has come and there are still shortcuts polluting our pristine desktops!

ROBYER1 likes this.
  19. Lance_JZ

Lance_JZ

I'm tired of deleting the desktop shortcut everything I update Unity! Please add an option to not create one, thank you.

bugfinders, ROBYER1 and Rowlan like this.
  20. bugfinders

bugfinders

It is the most useless part as Unity hates us opening the editor direct so, why give us an icon

Rowlan likes this.