Search Unity

Git support on Package Manager

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by rz_0lento, Oct 24, 2018.

1. ShawnFeatherly

ShawnFeatherly

I tried to use the
    file:
    scheme in Unity 2018.3.0f2. I made a bare git repository (No working directories) locally and can't get it to be recognized. Here's the line I'm putting into my Manifest.json
    "com.frl.versionit": "file:C:\\Test\\VersionIt.git",

The error says "file: Name or service not known fatal: Could not read from remote repository"
    Screenshot of error message: https://imgur.com/tCgh0Km

A clone of the repo works fine:
    "com.frl.versionit": "file:C:\\Test\\VersionIt.gitClone",

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @ShawFeatherly,

The local git package scheme you use is not supported for the moment. For the meantime, you need to use this scheme
    file:///C:\\Test\\VersionIt.git
    (or
    file://localhost/C:\\Test\\VersionIt.git
    if you prefer the explicit form).

Regards,

Pascal

3. Skjalg

Skjalg

@okcompute_unity I cant get the SCP style pattern to work.

"com.mycompany.library": "git@bitbucket.org:mycompany/my-package.git",

Code (CSharp):
    1.   Project has invalid dependencies:
    2.     my-package: Version 'git@bitbucket.org:mycompany/my-package.git' is invalid. Expected a 'SemVer' compatible value or a value starting with 'file:', 'http:', 'https:', 'git:' or 'ssh:'.
    But if I add ssh:// to the path like this:

"com.mycompany.library": "ssh://git@bitbucket.org:mycompany/my-package.git",

Then I at least get a git error
    Code (CSharp):
    1.   Project has invalid dependencies:
    2.     my-package: Error when executing git command. ssh: Could not resolve hostname bitbucket.org:mycompany: Name or service not known
    3.     fatal: Could not read from remote repository.
    4.     Please make sure you have the correct access rights
    5.     and the repository exists.
    Even though I do have access rights (its a private repo on bitbucket, but i have ssh key for it). I know this because if I open command prompt and type git clone infront of it it works just fine

C:\Users\skjal>git clone git@bitbucket.org:mycompany/my-package.git
    Cloning into 'my-package'...

This is tested on Unity 2018.3 and 2019.1.b02. What am I doing wrong? Is it the git url-parsing which is removing the last bit of the url?

edit; It worked when i changed it to git@bitbucket.org/mycompany/my-package.git (replacing the : with /)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  4. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@Skjalg You hit the other format that we don't support at this time. For now, SCP and local file: scheme are not supported :(. Sorry about that. As you discovered, in the meantime, you can resort to the SSH scheme URL.

Regards,

Pascal

5. Skjalg

Skjalg

Yeah thats perfectly fine. What I'd consider a bug though is the : vs / issue in the url

6. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

The ":" is not valid in an SSH URL. Only with SCP type URL.

7. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

What's the plan for package dependencies on assets published to the Asset Store. Will Unity ever support dependencies that reference git repos being published on the Asset Store? I saw you have to have git installed for it to work (makes sense.) Is the final package manager going to ship with some internal version of git, or is using git repos as dependencies only something to be used outside the context of the Asset Store?

8. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

I'd understand if external packages aren't allowed in stuff published to the asset store b/c you can't moderate it easily, but it would be nice :)

9. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @keenanwoodall,

That's correct. At this time, we have no plans to allow packages to be published with dependencies other than on other packages from the registry. This is both a matter of security and stability.

Due to how Asset Store contents are imported in a project, and the lack of metadata about these contents, it's currently impossible to know if a given Asset Store asset is present or not, or the version of that asset. The Asset Store package format will in time be migrated to the new format, so that it is possible to reference Asset Store contents from packages.

MrMatthias and keenanwoodall like this.
  10. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

Makes sense. What's the policy for having dependencies to official Unity packages? What about preview packages? I haven't seen anything on the Asset Store that depends on Burst or Mathematics yet. I've been working on an asset for a long while that has the Mathematics and Burst packages as dependencies. I'm assuming I won't even have a ability to publish the asset until the packages are out of preview?

11. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

The Asset Store packages haven't been integrated with the new package ecosystem yet. We are working on preparing a transition from one system to the other; the details of the process will be publicly announced and documented once we reach the point where we can move forward with that. I can't give you more details at this time, unfortunately.

Regarding your asset, as of today, you could publish your asset to the Asset Store and document the manual steps required to add the Burst and Mathematics dependencies. Preview packages can be used just the same as official packages, they're just potentially more likely to change between versions and possibly less tested, so we don't recommend using them for actual production.

keenanwoodall likes this.
  12. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

Good to know, thanks! :)

13. jilleJr

jilleJr

@okcompute_unity
    Heyo will there be support for recursive dependencies as well? Such as if I have a dependency added via UPM for a git link to `"com.example.projB": "https://github.com/example/projB"`, and that project itself has listed `"com.example.projB": "https://github.com/example/projA"` as a dependency in its package.json they both will be downloaded by the UPM.

My testing leads me to believe this is not the case at the moment. I tested on 2018.3.6f1 and it gave the error `Package has invalid dependencies. Version 'https://github.com/example/projA.git' is invalid. Expected a 'SemVer' compatible value`

Obviously tested on proper repositories and not example/projA and projB. They're just substitution for simplicity and censoring sake.

14. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Correct. As you have found out, packages cannot themselves declare a dependency on anything other than an officially published version. We don't have any plans to allow dependencies on unofficial sources for the time being but this design might be revisited at a later date. Please note that I cannot confirm we'll do it, nor (obviously) provide an ETA.

jilleJr likes this.
  15. Thaina

Thaina

@maximeb_unity Is it possible to put a test folder inside package and let it show in test runner?

I use unity 2018.3.6f1 and it seem like it not possible. TestRunner don't read into packages folder

16. M_R

M_R

you need to add
    "testables": ["your package name"]
    to the project manifest. see how ECS Samples does it

17. Thaina

Thaina

@maximeb_unity Sorry for bother you again, but can we have unity work with git by really clone the actual repo to local and let us edit that package directly if we have write permission, without locking it?

I was developing a package and push it on github. I also use it in my team's project but the package itself is my own property. I let my team and anyone could pull it but don't allow them to push. But when there is any extension or fixing I want to do it directly in unity with the project I'm working with

I wish we could have a schema or option to allow this feature, such as

Code (JavaScript):
    2. {
    3.   "dependencies": {
    4.     "com.mycompany.mypackage": "ssh://git@github.com/mygithub/mypackage.git",
    5.   },
    6.   "editable": [
    7.     "com.mycompany.mypackage"
    8.   ]
    9. }
    Or maybe having a read priority that, given a list of repos. the package will select the first available url to pull package

Code (JavaScript):
    2. {
    4.     "com.mycompany.mypackage": [
    5.       "file:///%APPDATA%/unity/packages/mycompany/mypackage",
    6.       "ssh://git@github.com/mygithub/mypackage.git"
    7.     ]
    8.   }
    9. }

18. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

@Thaina,

That's not directly possible when using a Git-based dependency.

However you have a few simple alternatives:
    - If your project is tracked on Git, you can add your package as a Git submodule (or Git subtree/subrepo)
    - You can clone your package directly under your project's Packages directory; this will make it appear as "embedded" (fully editable) yet you'll still have your Git metadata/permissions. (This is similar to the first option, but assuming your project is not tracked on Git.)
    - You can clone your package elsewhere, and add a "file:<path>" dependency. For portability, this works best using relative paths and forward slashes, e.g. "file:../../CustomPackages/mycompany/mypackage". You can ship a zipped version to your users, and have your own version be a Git repo; alternatively you can have them clone your Git repo directly but only provide them with read-access to your repo (so even if they modified it, they couldn't push changes back unless you let them, based on your Git hosting service configuration.)

19. AdamRamberg

AdamRamberg

For anyone trying to setup your library with UPM and struggles with including both the library source and a Unity project to test and add examples to. I struggled for a long time trying to add a package.json to a subfolder in git, but didn't get it work (and I also finally read comments in this thread explaining that it's not implemented / supported yet). I ended up with the following structure in my project:

Repo:
    • Source
      • package.json - for Source called "com.mambojambostudios.unity-atoms-src"
    • UnityProject (containing examples and tests)
      • Packages/manifest.json - Points to "file:../../Source" as a dependency
    • package.json - on root level called "com.mambojambostudios.unity-atoms"
    This makes it possible to include the source in the Unity example and test project, as well as including it in another project referencing the git repo, eg:
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. "dependencies": {
    2.     ...
    3.     "com.mambojambostudios.unity-atoms": "https://github.com/AdamRamberg/unity-atoms.git#v1.0.0",
    4.     ...
    5. }
    Hope that makes sense. Here is a link to my Github repo for reference and more details.

20. Thaina

Thaina

Thank you for your clarifying. However based on your explanation I still thinking that you should just not lock the folder

unity could just rework the git remote package system, just pull the whole project to the PackageCache folder, and use that folder in the same way as normal local git folder. And so we could edit and push that folder (if we have permission for)

Actually I would like to say that, unity should just work like your alternative suggestion, but automatically by itself, not manually by us

The downsize of your alternative is it not scaled well when there was multiple people try to work the same project. It defeat the purpose of using remote git so that everyone can pull the package when open the project and unity will handle the dependency automatically

This is a feature that unity packagemanager should just support. Or,if it possible, please just opensource and accept pull request for UPM

rakkarage likes this.
  21. andybak

andybak

22. andymads

andymads

Hi.

Are there any plans to support svn as an alternative to git?

23. ZAXIS

ZAXIS

Why would a repository require meta files on git server btw? Cant they get generated in the packages cache folders when being cloned? Wouldn't it be cool to be able to clone an arbitrary git project as a package? Even if I'd fork the repo and add a package.json manifest, I'd still fail, coz there are no metas.

And you know, there is even little need for package.json, since info can get collected from readme etc

rakkarage likes this.
  24. Thaina

Thaina

@ZAXIS It was a system of unity that the meta file would hold metadata for each file, it not always be the same when you freshly generate it each times, it always must be synced when transfer to other, even the packages system still underlyingly the same as import unitypackage

package.json is not a readme. It for the unity to read what can it do and show for each package. It also would likely be extend to add more functionality in the future, such as dependency

rakkarage likes this.
  25. ZAXIS

ZAXIS

@Thaina Well, and we both know that Packages folder doesn't need to be 'synced', since it requires only a reference in the manifest. It also doesn't need to be regenerate every time, since the cache folder is created only once, locally on your machine. I also don't get why wouldnt anything coming down to "Packages" be able to generate metas, whereas in "Assets" it would

Now, let's assume we are talking specifically about git feature here. I know what package.json is, I'm saying that the data it holds can be salvaged from the repository meta

26. Thaina

Thaina

@ZAXIS I don't

What I know is meta file in every folder of unity must be synced. When we sharing project between any people with git we must also commit meta file, or else it have some chance to exhibit difference behaviour on difference machine

Packages folder might not live in unity assets folder. Yet, given the behaviour of unity system so far, I have confident that it just include all those packages into the project in the same behaviour as putting it directly in assets folder. So the relevancy of meta file should still be the same

> Now, let's assume we are talking specifically about git feature here. I know what package.json is, I'm saying that the data it holds can be salvaged from the repository meta

What "repository meta" can really hold?

How can it hold dependency?

27. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

28. visaomedia

visaomedia

Hello, I am really new to git and importing repositories and a general use for CMD in windows. Forgive my lack of knowledge here. Project author says, "This project uses Git support on Package Manager to import external packages". I have GIT installed and have the repository zip downloaded. Can someone provide an simpler step-by-step process with using git and the downloaded zip? The master folder has an Assets, Packages and Project Settings inside with multiple files in each. I guess I'm confused as to copying the right code and pasting into Git for it to do it's thing in collecting and importing the project and open in Unity. Thanks in advance. :)

29. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @visaomedia ,

No worries. Usability of Git packages will be improved and made simpler once the Package Manager UI will support them :). For now, you need to manually set up the Git packages URL in the project manifest.

First, locate the project manifest in your project.

<project path>/Packages/manifest.json

Then, open the project manifest in a text editor. Ideally, one that supports JSON file format! Locate the
    dependencies
    section in the file. Insert the Git package dependency in there. The format is
    "<package name>" : "<package version or URL>"

Here is a project manifest which has the Cinemachine package as a dependency:

Code (csharp):
    2. {
    4.     "com.unity.cinemachine": "https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/upm-package-cinemachine.git"
    5.   }
    6. }
    Hope it helps,

Pascal

dzamani likes this.
  30. dariony

dariony

Is there a way to enforce a license agreement before downloading a package using git?

31. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

We plan to improve Git support in Package Manager UI. I shared your suggestion(s) with the team. Thank you for your feedback!

Pascal

Rocktavious likes this.
  32. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Not for the moment. Do you know any system that does support this kind of check? I would be curious to know how it is done.

Pascal

33. andybak

andybak

I sincerely hope not. ;-)

Is there any reason a clickwrap is any better than an included licence file?

34. visaomedia

visaomedia

Thanks for the reply.... I understand finding the URL link path for the manifest.json in the project on github.
    Would opening manifest.json file locally in visual studio on my CPU running windows 10 work? I did open the manifest.json file in visual studio and I see a list of dependencies. I feel like I'm missing the next step, do I now paste the projects Git package dependency into the manifest.json with visual studio and save? What do I do after that? The project author did say to use GIT, I do have that git cmd app installed where in this process do I use that? Do I need to open the git cmd app and run a command with these files for it to collect the project properly? Seems weird to spend so much time to manually open a shared UNITY project from github, when a zip file should in theory be a complete working package. I guess it's different for the project authors and how they want to use github and their projects/resources. Thanks again.

35. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@visaomedia Yes, you should just set the Git package dependency in the
    manifest.json
    . Visual Studio is perfectly fine to edit JSON files. You don't have to run any Git commands yourself. Unity takes care of this. Once you have set up the
    dependencies
    in the
    manifest.json
    , save the file. Go back to Unity, Package Manager will refresh and the Git package should now be in your project.

36. visaomedia

visaomedia

I see thanks for clarifying I did update the .json file with the GIT project dependency and saved it with virtual studio but when I go into package manager and try to add that "manifest.json" file, I keep getting "Invalid package path: cannot find "path location/Packages/manifest.json". Any idea what could be causing this error? or am I missing another step here? thanks.

37. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here. If you could share your project manifest file
    <project path>/Packages/manifest.json
    maybe it would help.

Pascal

38. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

One thing I noticed is that dependencies aren't working correctly.

I specified my dependencies in my sdk like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. {
    2.     "name": "com.xrtk.sdk",
    3.     "displayName": "XRTK.SDK",
    4.     "description": "The SDK for the Mixed Reality Toolkit",
    5.     "version": "0.1.0",
    6.     "unity": "2018.3",
    7.     "license": "MIT",
    8.     "repository": {
    9.         "type": "git",
    10.         "url": "git+[URL]https://github.com/XRTK/SDK.git[/URL]"
    11.     },
    12.     "src": "Assets/XRTK.Core",
    13.     "author": "XRTK Team ([URL]https://github.com/XRTK[/URL])",
    14.     "dependencies": {
    15.         "com.xrtk.upm-git-extension": "[URL]https://github.com/XRTK/UpmGitExtension.git#0.9.1[/URL]",
    16.         "com.xrtk.core": "[URL]https://github.com/XRTK/XRTK-Core.git#0.1.0[/URL]",
    17.         "com.xrtk.wmr": "[URL]https://github.com/XRTK/WindowsMixedReality.git#0.1.0[/URL]"
    18.     }
    19. }

And then when I add the sdk to my project it fails to resolve the dependencies and shows this error:

Code (CSharp):
    1. An error occurred while resolving packages:
    2.   Package com.xrtk.sdk@https://github.com/XRTK/SDK.git#0.1.0 has invalid dependencies:
    3.     com.xrtk.core: Version '[URL]https://github.com/XRTK/XRTK-Core.git#0.1.0[/URL]' is invalid. Expected a 'SemVer' compatible value.
    4.     com.xrtk.wmr: Version '[URL]https://github.com/XRTK/WindowsMixedReality.git#0.1.0[/URL]' is invalid. Expected a 'SemVer' compatible value.
    5. A re-import of the project may be required to fix the issue or a manual modification of C:/Dev/XRTK.Core/XRTK-Core/Packages/manifest.json file.

39. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@visaomedia , did you try to add the `manifest.json` in the Package Manager UI? You just need to save the file. No need to add the file through the Package Manager UI.

40. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@StephenHodgson-Valorem ,

Unity Package Manager doesn't support Git dependencies inside a package manifest. Only inside a project manifest.

Your package manifest should look like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. {
    2.     "name": "com.xrtk.sdk",
    3.     "displayName": "XRTK.SDK",
    4.     "description": "The SDK for the Mixed Reality Toolkit",
    5.     "version": "0.1.0",
    6.     "unity": "2018.3",
    7.     "license": "MIT",
    8.     "repository": {
    9.         "type": "git",
    10.         "url": "git+[URL]https://github.com/XRTK/SDK.git[/URL]"
    11.     },
    12.     "src": "Assets/XRTK.Core",
    13.     "author": "XRTK Team ([URL]https://github.com/XRTK[/URL])",
    14.     "dependencies": {
    15.         "com.xrtk.upm-git-extension": "0.9.",
    16.         "com.xrtk.core": "0.1.0",
    17.         "com.xrtk.wmr": "0.1.0"
    18.     }
    19. }
    And your project manifest like this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. {
    2.   "dependencies": {
    3.    "com.xrtk.sdk": "0.1.0",    
    4.    "com.xrtk.upm-git-extension": "[URL]https://github.com/XRTK/UpmGitExtension.git#0.9.1[/URL]",
    5.         "com.xrtk.core": "[URL]https://github.com/XRTK/XRTK-Core.git#0.1.0[/URL]",
    6.         "com.xrtk.wmr": "[URL]https://github.com/XRTK/WindowsMixedReality.git#0.1.0[/URL]"
    7.     }
    You override packages to their Git version in the project using them.

Let me know if it works!

Regards,

Pascal

41. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

So what happens when the dependency isn't defined in the project's manifest?
    Would there be no way to resolve that dependency?

42. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

One more thing to note, I'm not manually editing the project's manifest, but instead using that extension to add it via url and downloading it. How will the package manager know where to download those dependencies?

43. visaomedia

visaomedia

I did try to add the manifest.json file in the package manager UI. The file is saved. I then go and and try to open any existing scenes, all the assets(scripts, prefabs, tec..) it's referencing is still missing/unlinked. Sending quick pm of the project in question.

44. Thaina

Thaina

Is it required that we need to put
    [URL][/URL]
    on the url in the unitypackage's json related file?

45. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@Thaina , No. I think this was automatically injected when @StephenHodgson-Valorem shared his manifest. If you keep this in, it won't work. Sorry, I've should have removed this when replying!

Thaina likes this.
  46. StephenHodgson-Valorem

StephenHodgson-Valorem

I ended up working around this by just keeping a scriptable object list of dependencies in each upm package, and checking that and automatically pulling in any dependencies if they're found.

Now the whole process is automatic! No more manually editing manifests.
    Once the core package is in, the rest can be easily found and downloaded via git.
    Here's a link for those interested https://github.com/XRTK/XRTK-Core/pull/57

47. andybak

andybak

48. Stephen-Hodgson

Stephen-Hodgson

One thing I also noticed when I was offline for a bit the unity package manager really breaks when offline (even for the unity provided packages).

Attached Files:

49. JakHussain

JakHussain

I'm trying to use git: path to my repository but my format is slightly different because we're using our corporate gitlab server:

Code (CSharp):
    1. "git@gitlab.company.com:group-name/package-name.git#branch-name"
    differences are that our git prefix for the path includes "@gitlab.company.com" and our repository is not owned by a user its under a gitlab group. We have our SSH keys set up as we normally would have for source tree but despite that, we get an issue saying that Unity doesn't understand the format of our path.

50. Stephen-Hodgson

Stephen-Hodgson

Did you try the upm extension mentioned above? They seem to have support for gitlab.
    https://github.com/mob-sakai/UpmGitExtension