Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Git limitations and Cloud build

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by niall1111, Nov 13, 2014.

1. niall1111

niall1111

So I've got this project that is basically finished, been doing cloud builds the entire time, via our Git repository. Think really large sprite atlases containing hundreds of large frames of animations. Build times in the 5-6 hour range if the atlases have all been updated.

Recently, we've been asked to make the app retina quality, which aside from a huge increase in time required to build the sprite sheets and for cloud build to compress them, is totally doable.

However, the problem arose when it was time to commit these sprite sheets to Git. All 1.7 gigs of them. We use Bitbucket, which has a 2GB repo size limit, and the rest of the app aside from the sprite sheets takes us well over that limit.

Has anyone run into this problem before? How did you get around it? Is it possible for me to host a local Git repo and just point cloud build to that? Or perhaps another Git service that doesn't have the 2GB limit? It's so late in the project's lifetime, i'm hoping for a simple solution, obviously, but I'm not coming up with much!

2. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

I agree on that and can confirm the problem with huge repositories. You can buy some space for your Bitbucket repository to keep the performance up.

3. niall1111

niall1111

That was my assumption as well, that I could buy extra space on bitbucket, but that doesn't appear to be the case, as seen here:
    https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Plans+and+billing

quote from atlassian employee: "Our repository size limits are not tied to paid or unpaid they apply to everyone."

My current hope is a comment I saw earlier today and can no longer find, but I think/hope Git will perform compression on the sprite atlases before/during/after the commit, and if i'm lucky, it won't blow the repo size limit.. That might be a long shot.

If this fails, I guess it's time to figure out how to run a local git repo...

4. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

That's a very interesting finding, thank you very much for sharing!

5. niall1111

niall1111

Just to note for any other poor sap who ends up here, I was indeed wrong about the compression angle. Local Git repo it is, and bitbucket is losing a corporate customer.

6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I suggest checking out Unfuddle. 50 gigs of space, plus you can pay to expand that. I've been using it for hobby projects for ~3 months now and the service is pretty good.

7. drawcode

drawcode

Use submodules / sub repos. Easy to setup in SourceTree if you are unfamiliar.

I divide up all artwork, data, scripts, libs etc into separate/common repos them make them submoduled under a common folder such as Content or Code/Libs etc. You will have to organize your content to match the submodules and be sure if using across project to keep metas the same.

Your repos will grow less massive as well and it is actually nice, development is sped up with submodules which are really just git repos just nested under another, but the files stay with the original repos.

https://blog.sourcetreeapp.com/2012/02/01/using-submodules-and-subrepositories/

David-Berger likes this.
  8. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I use visual studio online. They offer free unlimited git repos. Mine is 4.6gb currently and cloud build works fine but you have to enter your credentials via Basic auth into the url for now.

sandolkakos and hypeNate like this.