Search Unity

Gimp XCF -> PSD auto export

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by g013, Oct 24, 2015.

1. g013

g013

Hello,

I can't revive old threads (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/gimp.13371/), so here's a new one.
    As a reply to David Helgason who says:
    Per GIMP's own developers: "do not use XCF as a data interchange format since the format reflects the GIMP's internal data structures, and there may be minor format changes in future versions".
    So use either the TIFF or PSD formats, and you should be fine.

After a quick test it seems the situation hasn't changed since 2008.
    Why can't Unity invoke Gimp to export XCF to PSD, then continue with the regular PSD import pipeline ? After all, Unity invokes blender to export BLEND to FBX, I fail to see the difference.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

3. g013

g013

Ah I didn't know this system.
    Hmmm voting for a feature waiting since 2010... seeing votes are limited...

Is it possible to invoke the PSD (or any other standard) importer from an Editor script ? It would be trivial to do the importer myself in that case.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Might consider png instead of the bloated tif or uncompressed psd option when using Gimp?
    Does Gimp allow png?
    Couldn't you write a batch export for a gimp file to batch export all layers as png images?

5. g013

g013

Yes sure it does export to PNG. I was suggesting to PSD so Unity could re-use their PSD importer.
    I could write a batch export, or even better a plugin to do it, even a file watcher on the XCF file which would re-export automatically using some custom meta file. I could, but for now it's not worth the time. That's why a simple XCF importer in Unity by default would be helpful, just like PSD, blend, and such ;)

theANMATOR2b likes this.