Search Unity

GI System gets deleted after every play

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by HUSHstudios, Jun 11, 2021.

1. HUSHstudios

HUSHstudios

Hello. I'm using 2021.2.0a20.2866 with URP and am having problems with the Enlighten realtime global illumination system. I will generate the scene lighting and in the "System" debug draw mode I can see the global illumination system has been created properly. I then hit play and the GI works correctly. However after closing the play editor the GI system is no longer there. When looking through the debug draw mode there is no system and on playing again the GI does not work.

This requires me to re-bake every time I play. Additionally if I have "auto generate lighting" enabled Unity recognizes that it no longer has a GI system and initializes a bake. I have tried having "Reload Scene" bool enabled in the Project Settings > Editor and that has not made a difference.

I've had similar issues before regarding the realtime GI emission not working, but this time re-baking is not an option as every re-bake seems to be deleted.

Thanks for any help and let me know if there is more info I can give.

2. Pema-Malling

Pema-Malling

Unity Technologies

Hey there, I think you might be encountering this recent regression https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...reference-is-lost-when-static-object-is-moved . A fix for that is currently going through review.

The details don't match 100%, but having investigated that bug, I have a fairly strong suspicion that what you are seeing is caused by the same issue.

Would you mind seeing if the bug reproduces on a slightly older editor version? (2021.1 for example)
    Also, are you using baked (non-realtime) GI at all? And if so, are you having similar issues with that?

Hope some of this info helps, cheers.

HUSHstudios likes this.
  3. HUSHstudios

HUSHstudios

In my example testing scene I am only using the Enlighten realtime GI, no baked GI. I'll try reproducing in an older version. Thank you for the help, really appreciate it!

4. HUSHstudios

HUSHstudios

Actually it looks like URP Enlighten realtime GI is not supported in 2021.1 according to this post. @Pema-Malling is there another 2021.2 build I should test with or do you recommend using the built in renderer and an older version of Unity. I am working on a architectural visualization project that requires animated emissive objects so the realtime GI is quite important for me. Thank you!

5. Pema-Malling

Pema-Malling

Unity Technologies

Good catch, I missed that you were using URP. Could you try 2021.2.0a5 ( https://unity3d.com/unity/alpha/2021.2.0a5 ) with your current setup?

HUSHstudios likes this.
  6. HUSHstudios

HUSHstudios

Just opened a copy using Unity 2021.2.0a5.926 and it looks like the realtime lighting option is not available in the lighting window
    upload_2021-6-14_14-52-22.png

7. Pema-Malling

Pema-Malling

Unity Technologies

Ah, my bad. I guess RTGI wasn't quite in URP at that point. If you could try out builtin RP with your project that would be great. I'll try to do some investigation to on my side too, in order to confirm whether what you are experiencing is the same bug I mention. I'll post here when I get around to it. :)

HUSHstudios likes this.
  8. HUSHstudios

HUSHstudios

Thanks a bunch. Since I won't be using URP I ended up dropping back to 2021.1. There doesn't seem to be the same problem, but I have noticed that sometimes when going into the debug view in the scene sometimes nothing will show up however the system is still present and will work on play. Might just be a shader issue on that front.

Thank you so much for helping me out! Hope we can get it figured out at some point, please let me know if I can help.

9. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies