Search Unity

GI on unity terrains

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by hippocoder, Mar 11, 2015.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi,

We use Unity terrain, and RTP. We are gettting bakes of several hours with a default terrain, including an unusual warning message:

warning.png

Any advice would be welcome as its torture to change anything at this point.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Tried on just "Low" and now it's saying it's TOO HIGH! and might even take infinite time. So none of the presets work.

3. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

The logic for that message is inverted, sorry for the confusion. You should use the very low setting as starting point. This should be fixed in patch1.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I get a warning on both very low, and low but I guess very low is as good as it gets for terrain, if I'm understanding :)

5. Botanika

Botanika

The "System_ReallyLow" Lightmap parameter, from the Viking demo, seams to give me fast and good results.

6. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

@hippocoder as Botanika says, you can create custom LightmapParameters that's a perfect fit for your object - the presets are just a starting point.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yep thanks for mentioning it but I already knew/tried that. I'm just saying the warnings are present on everything including the custom ones regardless of settings :) I guess there is no perfect fit for this giant 4096 16 bit heightmap terrain :(

8. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

It depends on your atlas size. If the scale makes the terrain larger than your lightmap, it will clamp and you will get a warning about it.