Search Unity

GI - Global Illumination + Load Level Additive Rendering Issues

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by alexandre-fiset, Mar 13, 2015.

1. E2R_Ben

E2R_Ben

Thanks for the reply guys- performance is not an issue (most of the levels share the same tiling texture sets). The issue is the light probe groups are each authored in a different scene, and ideally we would load in a couple of scenes at a time, each with their unique light probes. Does that work? because the devs im working with say it does not work.

2. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello Alexandre,

There seems to be some misunderstanding regarding what Amplify Texture 2 does. You could also be experiencing some sort of problem, if I recall correctly we converted the UBER package for your project, it might need to be update. AT2 does eliminate texture loading times when properly setup, that is a fact.

We would be happy to help you resolve any issues that you might be experiencing, be sure to get in touch with our support team as you did before.

Thanks!

EDIT

Apologies for the first incorrect reply, I missed the "but by". Typing from mobile device.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  3. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Yes, that must be the limit of my English knowledge :p What I meant by: "not by using tools like Amplify Texture as this kind of thing is even worse":

Amplify Texture, from what I understand, is a memory saver, not a CPU or GPU saver. By setting it up, we ended up with a frame rate about 10% lower than without it; but with a memory footfprint about 50% lower. That's perfect for consoles, but on PC, memory is not really an issue for us.

The solution that is currently in our pipeline is the 64x64 texture pre-loading. By doing that, we drastically reduce scene loading hiccups and can load higher resolution textures one by one over multiple frames post-loading. That reduces the hiccups, but does not help with memory consumption.

I'm not saying AT2 isn't a good thing, simply that it does not help with overall performance.

4. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

No problem at all. Among other things, yes, it helps you save memory, reduce build size and cut loading times. Unfortunately, it does have a CPU cost as you mentioned. In sames case the performance benefits outweigh the costs but, sadly, it might just not be the case for your project.

Thank you for elaborating!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  5. orionburcham

orionburcham

Is this still an issue in 5.6? It seems that Skyboxes, at least, may be ignored when using LoadSceneMode.Additive:

Loading a scene with LoadSceneMode.Single (What I'm hoping for):
    LoadSceneMode_Single.png

Loading a scene with LoadSceneMode.Additive (no Skybox lighting):
    LoadSceneMode_Additive.png

Is this just by design? Maybe Unity intentionally doesn't override the Skybox information from the previously loaded scene?

More info here:
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/does-loadscenemode-additive-ignore-skylights.480922/

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  6. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

Hi @Joachim_Ante, it seems this is still an issue in Unity (I'm using 2017.2). When assets are distributed over multiple scenes, the lightmap data don't go where they are supposed to go, and get lost upon un/loading scenes.

Specifically, I'm using the following setup:

Main scene: includes game manager, main camera, skybox and lights-for-baking, but no lightmap-static assets
    Scene 1/2/X: includes assets, some of which need baked light

I use the procedure described in the manual to bake lightmaps with this setup. But I get one of the following problems:
    • When I set the 'active' scene to 'Main Scene', everything bakes correctly, but the lightmap data are not saved to 'Scene X' folders but to a 'Main Scene' folder.
    • On the other hand, if I set the active scene to 'Scene 1', lightmaps are correctly created and saved to a 'Scene 1' folder, but once I unload/reload the scene in the editor, the lightmaps dont show up anymore.
    How should I handle this?

7. tonialatalo

tonialatalo

For me this is different in editor vs. player: in editor I often see something wrong, pink textures, double lights or something else, but then in builds (native or webgl) get the additively loaded scenes with lighting correctly.

Just mentioning in case you checked in editor only.