Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

GI error?

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by VisualTech48, Dec 1, 2014.

1. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Hi, is this normal, but this happens only in Spot and Point lights: Currently realtime indirect bounce light shadowing for spot and point lights is not supported.

And I have beta 15, and the GI only works with directional.

Normal?

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

GI does work with spots and point. It's indirect bounce light shadowing that doesn't, which means some light will go through where there should be some shadowing.

Proper shadowing will probably be implemented post 5.0 and I expect that message to go away then.

To the Devs: Maybe you could change the error message to say "indirect shadowing is not supported"? Or somehow remove "light" from there. It makes a lot of people think that GI doesn't work.

wusikijeronii and VisualTech48 like this.
  3. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Yea, just testing it out and it work, but yea, I see what you ment there. Thank you. And if you can, answer one more question. How can I make a reflective material? Like that something bounces off (Exaple, a player walks close and sees his reflection)

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

VisualTech48 likes this.
  5. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Thank you mate! Thumbs up.

6. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

Hi, acctualy, it doesn't work for me. It only works with continious bakeing but I don't want that... Is there a way?

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

What do you mean? If you don't have continuous baking on, you have to press the bake button.

8. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

But when I bake then, and let's say move the light to another position, will the reflection or GI work? Because I mean, if i have a light, and i say, darnit, i didn't want you here! So I move the light, and will I have to bake every time? What is the point of real-time GI of it isn't real-time?

9. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Real-time means while the game is running, not while you are in the editor.

10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Is the light set as realtime/dynamic?

11. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

How to have it both in the editpr as well as in-game. Altought Ibthunk even when I start my game the results editor/ingame are no difference

12. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

I set the GI to realtime and 1 light realtime and the mixed just to test it.

13. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Baking is a process of precomputing, so if you're not baking continuously, you will need to manually rebake when you move the light in the editor. It won't show up different whether the light is real time or not because the precomputation will not have been done.